Server time: 2017-10-20, 14:29
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
drewhinny

Healing with song

drewhinny    0

I guess I can trace this back to when my dad took the job in Nigeria. I was always embarrassed when somebody asked me what my father did for a living. Sometimes I would even lie about it, and say he was a doctor. The nurse thing was just too...I don't know. I think back to how stupid I really was. Living in Africa was rough, but if i knew what i know now... Well Africa seems like paradise now. I started writing songs to keep my mind off my mother. Pain can be handled, but not erased. Dad had his own way of dealing with it, or not dealing with it. I had seen that look before. It was the same look when he told me we were moving to Africa. "Pack up Kyle, we are leaving in the morning." Pack up? We're going home, I thought. I guess in a way, I was right. The small town of Rogovo would be my new home. I felt as though the more bad things that kept happening, the more songs I would write. It might sound stupid now, but I think the writing is what kept me alive. My father... He was so brave. I almost think he knew what his outcome would be. I ask myself, how could he not have. We moved into a goddamn war zone.

On the night of October 26th, dad didn't return home. At that point I knew it was time to leave. That was also the night I stopped writing. I spent three days by myself, hiding in the woods, South East of Rogovo. For three days, I felt no reason to live. It was over. Mom...Dad...Gone. The couple of food rations I had were running low. There were never thoughts of suicide though. Only because I felt lifeless anyway. My teary eye catching a lone fire in the woods. "What do I have to lose?" talking to anyone, as if somebody could hear me. I approach the camp like a clumsy Sasquatch. Sounds of popping from crunching sticks. A gun clicks. "One more step der fella, and ima have to blow your damn head off." As I turn, the man sees my face, and judges me no threat. He lowers his gun and says "You alright there?" "No...I don't think i am." I look over at the fire. It seems so inviting, I walk over to it in a daze. Staring at the fire, I feel my mind loosing control, and my voice start to take over. I never really sang any of my songs before this moment. I wasn't much of a singer truth be told. But something about this fire...something. During the song the two men at the camp site didn't say a word. I lift my head as I finish the last couple bars. The two men looked at me, as if they had known me for years. 30 seconds pass in silence. The man with gun, James, raises his canteen and says, "I don't know yer name der fella, but you have a voice like an angel." "Thanks, names' Kyle, Kyle Andrews." At that moment, I knew what my reason for being was. [attachment=1872]

drewhinny    0

This was my first lore story...Nobody seemed to give me and bad or good criticism. I know it's not gunna be amazing on my first story but I would like some feedback if possible. Thanks guys.

Sign in to follow this