Server time: 2017-10-22, 00:57
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doug Quade

Recording all playtime ?

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

So I am seeing that alot of people are always recording when they play. I am curious as to why ? I can understand if you are creating content for a youtube channel , for a group etc... but sometimes it seems like people are recording for the, cover your ass factor, or to catch someone breaking a rule. Does this affect gameplay for anyone knowing that you are always recording ?

I am also curious as to what are the recommend system specs to record while playing ? Does it tax your system alot ? Would you recommend that I record always as well ? Is it not needed anymore because of the new logs ?

My system specs ( the important stuff)

CPU - Intel I7 4930K

GPU - AMD 7970

RAM - 16 gig

HDD - Total of 3 TB storage

Mobo - Asus Sabretooth X79 board

In your case it would be hard....even though you have 3TB it would eat away.

I usually use shadow play, for some reason my videos were corrupt so I reinstalled and I think its working fine now. You can't use shadow play because you have an AMD GPU so some software will hit your frames hard.

Darkvern    0

Hey Doug

You should have no issues recording with the gear you are running.

Some people record to make awesome videos of their experience or travels throughout Chernarus, while some people record for the fact of having a non bias video of an encounter just in case shit hits the fan so to speak.

You can use OBS recording software which won't slow your FPS much. You may not even notice a difference while recording.

Cheers

Guest 123456   
Guest 123456

-USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST-

Rampage    0

I record every time I play dayz due to a two major reasons.

1. Most importantly to catch rule breakers. Its makes reports much easier when you have visual evidence. Now to be honest in my 2 years in this community I have only made 3 reports in total. It does not affect my gameplay or RP at all. Its like insurance. Its good to have it just in case.

2. I stream a lot and love to share my IG experiences on my twitch or youtube page.

Your system specs are more than enough to record. I always recommend using obs (open broadcast system) because you can literally record for 4-6 hours and only use up a couple of gb worth of space. Plus you can use that software for just record/editing or to stream. The best part is that it is free. Your 3 TB should be fine. I have a 1tb just for recording. My games and OS is all on ssd drives.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

I usually use shadow play, for some reason my videos were corrupt so I reinstalled and I think its working fine now. You can't use shadow play because you have an AMD GPU so some software will hit your frames hard.

I figured that the video would take up alot of space. My idea would be to delete it if nothing happened during that session. If there is something that is a potential issue during a session then I would save the file.

Can anyone also recommend a good video compression tool , so I dont have to eat up too much HDD space ? Sheesh I thought 3 TB was a lot of storage, but not anymore.

EddyKreys    0

I usually always play with Fraps on, but I only start recording when I actually meet someone. It's not always for my YouTube channel, it's just because I enjoy saving and watching again some of the best RP moments that I had. Then I may decide to upload on YT them too, but it's not the main reason. Also, it may be helpful to catch rulebreakers too, it happened to me once.

My specs are medium-budget:

FX 6300

Radeon R9 270x 2GB

8 GB ram

1 TB storage

I usually get around 30 fps maxed out on 900p, around 20-25 while recording. I think your specs are more than fine for recording.

Rampage    0

I figured that the video would take up alot of space. My idea would be to delete it if nothing happened during that session. If there is something that is a potential issue during a session then I would save the file.

Can anyone also recommend a good video compression tool , so I dont have to eat up too much HDD space ? Sheesh I thought 3 TB was a lot of storage, but not anymore.

Not true, as I said OBS is great to save space and record. For example 10 hours of recording took up only 15gb.

Prince    119

You start recording when you initiate on someone/firefights. Also when you meet a few awesome people an have great RP together. Another thing is when you see a rule break most commonly trolling. Entering the Vibor triangle.

redspear461    3

I never record for the reason that many people have stated above, because of rule breakers and such. I believe it breaks my immersion, as I would constantly be looking for somebody to break the rules, I just play DayzRP to relax, and have a great time :D

However, it isn't a bad idea to have recording software on hand in case things go south, but for me I usually keep it off, and try to RP out of bad situations so no rule breaks happen :P

Clammy    0

Well, content and just incase you get killed against rules just for evidence on a report. My computer isn't the greatest but it still records fine. Just make sure you have a LOT of memory, the files from recording are sometimes more than 1gb

Darkvern    0

Doug.

Don't worry about a compression tool. Just create a folder where your videos are saved in option in OBS.

If nothing happens just erase them as I do. Easy peasy.

If you do choose OBS make sure to watch a quick video on how it works. As of patch 5.3 you much check the BOX ( THE ANTI_CHEAP COMPATIBILITY HOOKING) in in the Source window when prompted or else it may only record the audio at the moment.

Cheers

Pepe    1

I stream and have twitch record it all for me, you can set it to save past broadcasts then highlight what you want and export to youtube

Roach    1649

Your system is like 3X better than mine and I record a lot for my Youtube videos.

I use FRAPS, it will suck your HD dry pretty fast (I simply can't use OBS since it heavy on the FPS loss even when not recording). FRAPS won't cause FPS loss when not recording (I get an average of 40 FPS) but when I record I get about 25 FPS.

MY SPECS

- AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 Ghz CPU

- 6 GB ram

- Geforce GT 640 Video Card

But I also record every time I go in Hot-Spots. The common spots where people would KoS, Troll, RDM etc. It does not ruin my immersion at all and feel safer due to the fact I have visual evidence against rule-breakers. One press of a button/hotkey and that's it. As for people around me, well not sure if they know I record most the time and every single encounter I get. Doesn't seem to bother anyone and the RP is always great regardless.

I then delete any worthless footage to save space. I run with about 400GB of space available for recordings.

EDIT: Like some have said, I don't go around just looking for rule-breakers.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Not true, as I said OBS is great to save space and record. For example 10 hours of recording took up only 15gb.

Ok cool, I will start using that prog. Thanks for the tip !

Subso    0

If you have problems recording while playing all the time just open Fraps (or any other programm) and make the start/stop recording button on a hotkey so you can trigger it if you come into any situation.

Buddy    1068

I too have recently started to record from the moment i join up until i leave the server. its not that i go around LOOKING for people who break rules. its as others have mentioned for my own protection; i have had several incidents happen where a simple bit of footage would have helped me catch people who went out of line and caused me harm that never should have come to me. or just terrible robberies where there wasnt any RP at all. i dont know about others but im a firm believer that people who break the rules should be removed to better our community.

it does not break my immersion as i completely forget its there. i use shadowplay from nvidia and i dont feel it takes up TOO much space... i simply just delete footage every few days. im not very tech savy.. but here are my specs;

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro 3

Power Supply: Thermaltake 1000W Gold

Graphics: MSI GTX 760 - 2GB

24 GB ram (sadly only 16 useable at the moment)

No entirely sure of the hard drive as it's the original but its 1TB

recording doesnt really hurt my frames at all from what ive noticed. :)

SomeWeirdAssGuy    286

Here are my specs, keep in mind that my CPU is GREATLY outdated.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, build 7601)

Motherboard: ASUS P5K/EPU

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 1X 2GB DIMM Kingston PC2-6400U DDR2-800 / 2X 1Gb DIMM Kingston PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (4096MB RAM)

Available OS Memory: 4.00 GB

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Display Memory: 1024 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit)(60Hz)

Monitor: HP Pavillion 25bw (Digital)

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 Surround

Headphones / Microphone: Turtle Beach PX22

---------------

Interface Devices

---------------

Mouse: Logitech Performance MX

Keyboard: Generic Keyboard

I record each and every playing session in 720p, both for Youtube and report purpose. I only have around 500GB of spare storage. I use DXTory with the x264vfw Video Codecs and the Lame mp3 Audio codecs. My recordings require approximately 7GB per 30 minutes of footage, thanks to the codecs I am using. I get absolutely no performance impact from recording in this fashion, I do if I record in 1080p. To those who say you can't record unless you have a top performance setup, it's not true, you just need the right tools and settings.

Brad    158

I stream using OBS and Twitch, I don't record but Twitch keeps the VOD on file for a few weeks if I ever need to go back and check anything. If I want to record I can hit "record" and it will save to file. Otherwise I'm not using any space at all.

Guest bobman235   
Guest bobman235

I plan to record all the time. partly because I plan to start making videos and also for reports

I have my shadow play set up to record the last ten minutes of game play that way I'm not recording the whole time but if something interesting happens or I'm initiated on I can instantly back record and then start recording from there to ensure that if I or anyone else has a problem with the events they are all recorded.

MatthewFC    43

As stated above, recording can be kind of an insurance in case things go South, especially when experiencing some kind of rulebreak. In this aspect, Shadowplay (which the OP cannot run, sadly) is a lifesaver as you don't need to record everything and clutter hardrive, and yet by pressing a key the last 20 mins of footage are saved and thus even record parts that you would have missed with alternative programs.

And also I try to keep an archive of memorable things that happened while RPing. Memorable encounters, sessions, anything. Thus it has that added bonus: not only do I feel safer knowing that a rulebreak wouldn't go unpunished, but I get to rewatch great sessions, much like a private album. Or you can share them, but I'm not much into that :P

Roman    0

Wow, so glad I read this thread, I didn't know what OBS was but now I have it and can save all vods onto twitch instead of my computer, so happy.

Let's just hope no one watches my stream.

Pussy    382

If you have problems recording while playing all the time just open Fraps (or any other programm) and make the start/stop recording button on a hotkey so you can trigger it if you come into any situation.

^ I highly suggest this. That's the set up I have and it's nice, quick, and easy in a situation that you think is a little fishy. And if nothing happens, and you don't want the files to pile up in your pc, just delete it after you're done playing for the night.

It's a pretty handy trick to have. Especially if you need to make a report on something.

Your rig is fine to record better than mine i can record vids just fine on mine in 720 for youtube

I use bandicam for recording 30 min cut off or start and stop when see fit

I used to use fraps but that eat my rig and game was laggy