Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:02
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
MaToLiZeM

Ruleplay over Roleplay with hostility

MaToLiZeM    0

I am not sure where to put it so I'll just write it here.

Everyone who got a chance to meet my character IG for enough time will know that my character is very sensitive when in come to the family section. Alot of time when I get into fights with some people Iand they mention my family, my character usually do something like pushing them or anything that may start a fist fight. Almost 100% of the time I do that, instead of continuing the RP people prefer to just shoot me dead because they have the KoS right due to my hostile initiation. IMO this is Ruleplay over Roleplay because IRL you won't shoot someone dead only for beating you or just pushing you, you will hit him back or run away. One even told me he will report me for baiting for this kind of thing and I just want to clarify that because I am getting sick of dying only because my character's tamper.

I would like to know what other members of this community think of that thing

Murdercool    29

As much as I agree with you, I do not think anything will be done about this. If someone hits me with good RP intentions I tend not to shoot, I tend to initiate then exact revenge. I hate the fact that people kill you for small reasons like this when they can RP it out. Even if they wanted to kill you for it I think it would be best to restrain first.

Wendsill    0

Maybe your character should learn to control his temper ;)

On a serious note, maybe if your character is confronted in the future with a situation where his temper might become a problem, your character should ask confirmation what was being said, so that the other party has a change to say it again, or rethink their action.

example:

A; says something bad about your family.

You; Did I hear that right that you just said something bad about my family. If so and you repeat it I'll have to punch you because I really don't like how you talk bad about my familiy.

Now the other side has a choise, either tone down and the situation defuses or the repeat what they say and you can let your ic anger flow.

But you should try to let the responsibility rest on the other side.

I hope it helps abit.

Valkerion    0

because IRL you won't shoot someone dead only for beating you or just pushing you

You want to clarify this line a bit more because in real life i would definitely respond with appropRiate force if someone was to "beat me" if your going to attempt to beat the crap outta someone yeah i can see you getting killed for it.

Iv watched the news enough to know that trying to beat someone can easily end up with them getting stabbed/shot.

As for pushing kinda pathetic if you get shot for that really.

MaToLiZeM    0

Maybe your character should learn to control his temper ;)

On a serious note, maybe if your character is confronted in the future with a situation where his temper might become a problem, your character should ask confirmation what was being said, so that the other party has a change to say it again, or rethink their action.

example:

A; says something bad about your family.

You; Did I hear that right that you just said something bad about my family. If so and you repeat it I'll have to punch you because I really don't like how you talk bad about my familiy.

Now the other side has a choise, either tone down and the situation defuses or the repeat what they say and you can let your ic anger flow.

But you should try to let the responsibility rest on the other side.

I hope it helps abit.

I never just attack someone out of the blue, usually I RPing pushing the guy saying something like "Do not ever talk about my family like that!" or just saying "Do not test my temper"

because IRL you won't shoot someone dead only for beating you or just pushing you

You want to clarify this line a bit more because in real life i would definitely respond with approrpiate force if someone was to "beat me" if your going to attempt to beat the crap outta someone yeah i can see you getting killed for it.

Iv watched the news enough to know that trying to beat someone can easily end up with them getting stabbed/shot.

As for pushing kinda pathetic if you get shot for that really.

I wasn't talking about bitting the shit out of someone, I ment something more like punch someone in the arm/chest etc

Subso    0

I agree - an emoted *tries to push you away in a mean way* should not be shot. But if you punch me (engine-hit-face) then I will rise my weapon against you... that hurts a lot if you punch me. But I would never shoot since dead players dont bring roleplay.

I really like that you have a consequent character with a personality that can cause problems... you are not perfect! I know its hard to die so often but please keep playing, it sounds like good RP.

MaToLiZeM    0

I agree - an emoted *tries to push you away in a mean way* should not be shot. But if you punch me (engine-hit-face) then I will rise my weapon against you... that hurts a lot if you punch me. But I would never shoot since dead players dont bring roleplay.

I really like that you have a consequent character with a personality that can cause problems... you are not perfect! I know its hard to die so often but please keep playing, it sounds like good RP.

I really don't mind dying and I can understand someone to raise his weapon, I never aim with my first to the face (unless I am in a fist fight) and the family part wasn't always like that, it was like that after an IG session tgat changed my character's personality for a bit.

Xaeleth    0

I do my best to out-roleplay my aggressors. If someone comes to me and tries to hold me up, I holster my gun, sit down with f3 and try to talk to them. I ask them what they need, tell them to please put the gun down and that I can simply share without the threats. I throw down my gun if things continue to be violent. I offer food, ammo and kind of talk over their yelling. After some time they tent to understand that I am no more than a helpful survivor. However, if they continue to yell for me to drop my stuff, I will swap my handgun into my pants and drop the rest of the items, generally emptying out the backpack before I drop it to form a large pile of crap. 9 out of 10 times, they get preoccupied with that. I take a few steps back and start talking to them as they look through my stuff. If they still refuse to comprimise with me, they get shot. I really give them an abundance of chances to just be friendly and to play along with my RP.

Bryce_    1

This is was a huge issue for my old character, Tom Greensworth, and why I ultimately abandoned the character. He was an escapist from a mental institution and wanted to be seen as normal, but was really bad at it. Whenever someone said something that might relate to me being crazy my character would aim their weapon at them and tell them to say that he's not crazy. This ultimately lead to people robbing me, shooting me, and in general forgetting to RP.

While I do understand that it was very hostile, I never actually hurt anyone or had the intentions of doing so. Some people did do it right. One guy held me up after I did it and forced me to tell him about my past.

Subso    0

-snip-

Impressive tactics.

@btw001

I think they shot you in ordner not to get shot - because that happens... 95% of the hostile situations. Dead or surrender. They cant know that you roleplay something else byside robbery.

I mean if someone walked up to me and punched me in the torso, face, etc. in a zombie apocalypse no doubt I would take appropriate action. I hope you don't just go up to people and punch them, though.

MaToLiZeM    0

I mean if someone walked up to me and punched me in the torso, face, etc. in a zombie apocalypse no doubt I would take appropriate action. I hope you don't just go up to people and punch them, though.

As I said, I dont punch people just like that. It's only after someone barging me and tease me about my family... And I always say something like "watch your tongue" or something similar before I punch or push, and it's all depends on the situation itself...

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Punching runs the risk of being knocked out and placed at the mercy of the person punching, if alone. This would be a solid reason to retaliate.

Chris    63

Just to play Devils Advocate....

In real life (not in game terms), striking someone in the nose can drive their nasal bone into their brain, so a strike from a fist can be considered a lethal strike.

If I was holding a gun, and someone punched me in the face, you're damn right I'd shoot them down. Just because it's a blow with a low chance of injury doesn't mean you get free, potentially lethal shots at me :D

IMO, allowing such actions to be "rule-break worthy" opens the potential for abuse.

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

In real life (not in game terms), striking someone in the nose can drive their nasal bone into their brain, so a strike from a fist can be considered a lethal strike.

If I was holding a gun, and someone punched me in the face, you're damn right I'd shoot them down. Just because it's a blow with a low chance of injury doesn't mean you get free, potentially lethal shots at me :D

IMO, allowing such actions to be "rule-break worthy" opens the potential for abuse.

Punching someone in the face without initiation IS a rule break.

MaToLiZeM    0

what you said is true but the chance for it to happen is really really rare... As a Medic and as an Emergency Medicine Instructor IRL I can tell you that I have never saw someone's bone getting into his brain (even when the guy got a brick stright to his nose).

I have never said I punch in the face I said that I NEVER aim to the face unless we are in a middle of a fist fight... And if someone punch you, why shoot him and kill him instead of punching him back with your fist or with any other blunt weapon (and not the sladge hammer of course)

Chris    63

I have never said I punch in the face I said that I NEVER aim to the face unless we are in a middle of a fist fight... And if someone punch you, why shoot him and kill him instead of punching him back with your fist or with any other blunt weapon (and not the sladge hammer of course)

Simply because this is an apocalyptic scenario, and I wouldn't fight someone fairly. Inviting a fair fight could cost me my life, every injury in a survival scenario is potentially life threatening.

He punches my face, I get a small cut above my eye, it later gets infected, and I die. Just as an example. Survival is all about minimizing risk as expediently as possible. Fighting with my fists may drive the attacker off, but at high risk of injury. That's the entire reason why ranged weapons were made; to cause harm at a distance, thus increasing your level of safety.

I am well aware; I was a staff member for quite some time :)

I was addressing the main point of the OP, which was his thought that hostile action should not always be met with lethal force, and I was giving my opinion on why I think lethal force is justified in those given scenarios.

MaToLiZeM    0

Simply because this is an apocalyptic scenario, and I wouldn't fight someone fairly. Inviting a fair fight could cost me my life, every injury in a survival scenario is potentially life threatening.

He punches my face, I get a small cut above my eye, it later gets infected, and I die. Just as an example. Survival is all about minimizing risk as expediently as possible. Fighting with my fists may drive the attacker off, but at high risk of injury. That's the entire reason why ranged weapons were made; to cause harm at a distance, thus increasing your level of safety.

I was addressing the main point of the OP, which was his thought that hostile action should not always be met with lethal force, and I was giving my opinion on why I think lethal force is justified in those given scenarios.

How can you get cut by a fist? And just a small cut won't kill you in the normal life so why would it kill you in the apocalypse?

SomeWeirdAssGuy    287

How can you get cut by a fist? And just a small cut won't kill you in the normal life so why would it kill you in the apocalypse?

Never been in a fight, have you? You get punched on the brow, the skin gets cut by being pressed against the bone. Then as he said, if it gets infected and you don't have the necessary medication to take care of it, you could die. Point is, the risk is real, and a punch to the face can be potentially lethal.

MaToLiZeM    0

Never been in a fight, have you? You get punched on the brow, the skin gets cut by being pressed against the bone. Then as he said, if it gets infected and you don't have the necessary medication to take care of it, you could die. Point is, the risk is real, and a punch to the face can be potentially lethal.

I have been in a fight but: a cleen bandage will do the job...and as I said, I NEVER aim to the face first and I usually get shot after I just RP pushing the guy, or hitting his arm and such...

Chris    63

Have you ever seen a boxers face after a fight? A knuckle scraping across your scalp can easily draw blood.

A small cut probably won't kill YOU, right now, because you have access to basic medical equipment like disinfectant, bandages, and clean water. In a survival scenario you cannot depend on having any of those things. Hunger and fatigue lower the bodies ability to fend off infections, and the symptoms of an infection can make it harder to survive.

Up until just a hundred years ago, many of the men who died in battle died from (what we would consider today) flesh wounds. Infection and lack of proper medical care caused approximately 20% of WWI casualties, nearly 2 million soldiers. (Source).

Is it LIKELY that you will die from that small cut? No, not really, unless you are very bad off already. But every injury, no matter how small, carries risk of infection. Getting a fever that keeps you bedridden is no fun in real life, but we can deal with it because we have medicine, warm food, and people around us to help take care of us. Now get that same fever when you are by yourself, and you have to search for every meal. You move slower, you get tired more easily, you consume more water because you are sweating too much. You take a nap because you're too tired to make it to the next town, and end up missing your meal that day. Tomorrow you will be weaker with less of a chance of making it into town, your infection may be worse since you don't have any energy from lack of food.

The scenarios are literally endless, but the point is that any scrape, turned ankle, or bump on the head can prove fatal.

Sofie    0

I don't think you should just raise your fists and hit them. Give some expressions that they did something that pissed you off first. Maybe say like "don't talk about my family" etc? It's pretty demotivating that people kill you so sudden, but they might experience you as someone who just wanna mess around? If I were in their shoes I would back off and ask whats your problem, and if you dont stop I would give you a warning before doing anything hostile. I don't believe my character and many others would easily shoot another person just because they loose it for a minute.

MaToLiZeM    0

I don't think you should just raise your fists and hit them. Give some expressions that they did something that pissed you off first. Maybe say like "don't talk about my family" etc? It's pretty demotivating that people kill you so sudden, but they might experience you as someone who just wanna mess around? If I were in their shoes I would back off and ask whats your problem, and if you dont stop I would give you a warning before doing anything hostile. I don't believe my character and many others would easily shoot another person just because they loose it for a minute.

If you wil read my comments you will I am never hit someone out of the blue and always RP before, during and after the hitting. I was talking about the people who choose to kill me in the moment they get the KoS right after I RP'd just pushing someone. Pushing is considered as a hostile initiation so if I push someone, he gains the KoS right and usually will kill me instead RP it out and that is Ruleplay over Roleplay.

Sofie    0

If you wil read my comments you will I am never hit someone out of the blue and always RP before, during and after the hitting. I was talking about the people who choose to kill me in the moment they get the KoS right after I RP'd just pushing someone. Pushing is considered as a hostile initiation so if I push someone, he gains the KoS right and usually will kill me instead RP it out and that is Ruleplay over Roleplay.

Don't worry I'm on your side here :) Just shared my opinion.

ammo trader    0

I've had this same problem when DMing on tabletop. Whenever i would start an encounter, which in real life would be a rare ly death scenario like a bar fight the party would pull out their swords and kill the attackers although they were unarmed. Then I would have to send in the guards to arrest them and everything would get derailed from there.

I would suggest using a different gesture such as a poke or even pressing F6 and giving the finger. Not something all that aggressive but something that would get the fact that they have offended you and your'e angry, across. If that doesn't work i would play against their Ego by saying "Let's settle this like REAL men!" ,and stating a ground rule for the fight like "First one to the ground loses" will let the defender know that it isn't necessarily a life or death fight. If you knock him down and he bleeds, patching him up should help resolve any animosity. After he gets back up, apologizing for your anger and explaining why your family is a hot button topic would be a great RP way to end the fight.