Server time: 2017-08-18, 22:06

Sign in to follow this  
LtAscott

Merchant/Trader Channel in TS

LtAscott    0

In-Character, Radio Communication channel.

After speaking with some staff and other players, I have learned of a few trading hotspots and gathering points. I would intend to combine the two; a dedicated radio (TS) channel for trading.

I would like to know what the community would think about this, and what you think the rules surrounding it should be.

Milos    0

As far as ingame RP goes I really don't think a Trader would want to put themselves in a position where they could be sought out by bandits.

Anyone who 'knows' the frequency could then contact the traders and a hold up could take place once a meet up location has been given.

It would be very useful to have one, speaking from a player who plays a friendly survivor, but if I were a trader I wouldn't put myself in that situation and instead would make sure to build a trusting partnership through contact and interaction first before revealing my trading profession, purely to protect my supply and life.

This is assuming that the intention of this Radio communication channel is to be used to set up deals and meets while in character.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

Just do it in game, why do you need to have a trading chan? It breaks the immersion,

There are people walking around always willing to trade and even people that are playing as traders like the 2 guys I met the other day trading ammo.

That was there soul reason for playing in game to be traders, there are clans that trade to.

Having a totally ooc chan to trade just seems pointless and useless for a role play server. And by ooc I mean it will turn into that and will not be IC unless a staff memeber is keeping tabs on it

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-trade-frequencies

I kind of suggested something similar a while back.

My opinion has kind of changed on the matter however. In game trading makes places like Green Mountain flourish. The only downside to everything being in-game is you get those people who are only looking for the best gear and they will run a fields length just to ask if you have the item they want. Not realistic to be chasing down strangers and asking if they have an AK mag for trade. It just becomes awkward.

It could work if channels were made for strict RP purposes, but it would be hard to enforce.

LtAscott    0

I was thinking more along the lines of making it against the rules (it is already sort-of; see baiting) to go into the channel and make meet-ups. I was thinking more along the lines of checking the availability of things like weapons, food, water, high cap vests, etc. Seeing if what you want is available, and agreeing upon an offer before someone else gets there and does. I am talking about the community coming together and choosing an armband color to specifically signify a trader. The in-game rule would be if u are POSING as a trader, you have to remove/change the armband before u get within 50m (of the "victim"). For example; green mountain, I've gone there and traded made good deals, bad deals, etc. If you are open for trades you grab an armband and hang around. Ammunition, food, and water (containers) seem to be the most sensible forms of currency.

You turn on the trader frequency and see if what your looking for is available/make your offer, etc. a few people could get ammunition/items as payment to "guard" the trader hubs. Guards would be paid by the in-game hour.

(Mercenary rpers?)

There would be no need to run across an entire field if the person wasn't wearing a specific color of armband. My top choices would be yellow, orange or pink for traders; they are easy to see, and not very popular otherwise.

Also item requests; players could come into the channel and make item requests; if it is not already readily available, they could make an offer to hire someone to go look for the item for them.

Guest neom   
Guest neom

I was thinking more along the lines of making it against the rules (it is already sort-of; see baiting) to go into the channel and make meet-ups. I was thinking more along the lines of checking the availability of things like weapons, food, water, high cap vests, etc. Seeing if what you want is available, and agreeing upon an offer before someone else gets there and does. I am talking about the community coming together and choosing an armband color to specifically signify a trader. The in-game rule would be if u are POSING as a trader, you have to remove/change the armband before u get within 50m (of the "victim"). For example; green mountain, I've gone there and traded made good deals, bad deals, etc. If you are open for trades you grab an armband and hang around. Ammunition, food, and water (containers) seem to be the most sensible forms of currency.

You turn on the trader frequency and see if what your looking for is available/make your offer, etc. a few people could get ammunition/items as payment to "guard" the trader hubs. Guards would be paid by the in-game hour.

(Mercenary rpers?)

There would be no need to run across an entire field if the person wasn't wearing a specific color of armband. My top choices would be yellow, orange or pink for traders; they are easy to see, and not very popular otherwise.

Also item requests; players could come into the channel and make item requests; if it is not already readily available, they could make an offer to hire someone to go look for the item for them.

Sorry mate it just won't work it comes across like a big mess, the trader chans will have to be moderated if it's to keep people IC and that a drain on staff that can not happen atm, with the amount of reports and stuff it's just a waste of time.

Also making so a trader has a colour of arm band that no else can't use just doesn't work,

Kinda fills under the clan skin idea and that didn't happen so why this?

I see that in a ideal world you would have trader frequency if dayz was real people calling in asking for this that and the other but what's to say. I wear a green arm band that is ment for traders, you think I'm a trader and then I rob you blind and move on to the next person.

There will be people that use the armband to there own gain and why shouldn't they, it's a dog eat dog world.

It's a nice idea but just will not work

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Good idea, but it won't work. Trading should be handled in game.

redspear461    0

I always liked the idea having a trading channel, since me and a buddy of mine trade in game all the time! However it is very dangerous to give out your location, just because bandits can get ya :D However if things weren't like that, I'd be all for it!