Server time: 2017-10-21, 10:24
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
bignosesully

Seem to break my legs 80% of the time i go into a fire station

Question

When i enter a fire station my player is doing fine until I enter the second or third floor, where i seem to just fall over and break my legs. Most recently i put on a pair of pants and my legs instantly broke. Any ideas as to why this happens would be nice, and it has happened multiple times.

-Bignosesully

6 answers to this question

When i enter a fire station my player is doing fine until I enter the second or third floor, where i seem to just fall over and break my legs. Most recently i put on a pair of pants and my legs instantly broke. Any ideas as to why this happens would be nice, and it has happened multiple times.

-Bignosesully

Oddly enough, crouch-walking seems to lower the chances of this happening in different buildings tremendously.

As for why it happens, I don't really know. I remember hearing it is the server and your client saying you're on two different elevations, so it tries to correct it, and the resulting clipping kills you or breaks your legs.

I'm sure someone out there knows why.

Its a known bug. Some people die right and that is pretty much it. Avoid fire stations like the plague.

It's complicated, but it's related to the server basically losing track of where you are (or rather, your client losing track of where you are on the server.)

Basically, your collision box (that is, the server's representation of where your character is standing) has a nasty habit of getting hung up on stuff, especially when you round corners, mostly due to server-side prediction trying to compensate for lag by guessing where you're going. This is usually why you find yourself unable to pick things up; as far as the server is concerned, you're not standing where you think you are, so it won't allow you to grab the item.

The multi-story buildings, it gets worse. Fire station towers are particularly bad because the many tight turns you have to make to climb them dramatically increase the odds that your collision box will get snagged on a corner.

When the server decides to tell your client where you're supposed to be, it includes your elevation, so when the client sees that your elevation suddenly dropped by several meters, it applies fall damage because it thinks you just fell.

-snip-

Couldn't explain it better. A great way to avoid this glitch it is to climb in a slow pace (preferably walking) with ample clearance of any corners and objects or walls that might block your way. Also, because the action of "vaulting" immediately refreshes your elevation both in client and server, it has shown to be a great tool at keeping you from suffering this bug. Thus, it is recommended that you vault (default key "V") once every new floor you reach, so you update your elevation accordingly.

Keep in mind that the more desync you have with the server, you're more at risk of suffering this kind of glitch, so my personal recommendation is that if there's any desync, desist of climbing up any building at all.

After a while avoiding this glitch can become second nature for you, although I'd prefer if it was fixed... 0.53 has seen, IMO, an improvement on the ammount of times one suffers this glitch, but it's yet to be fixed for what I hear. I have pretty much stopped vaulting except on instances were the the elevation would mean instadeath, and have yet to suffer any broken legs, even on firestations, in 0.53.

Mikachu    26

ezpz :D

Make sure to vault once reaching the top of any stairs and this should solve your issue!

/solved