Server time: 2017-10-21, 23:12
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Zero

Trying to decide on a high quality headset..

Zero    463

Well guys, the title is pretty self explanatory. Through out my entire gaming hobby, I've always chose Turtle Beaches. (For some reason?) Literally within two months, they would always break, even the wireless ones that were around $300! And I always handled them gently and treated them with care.. Just goes to show, just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's better!

Currently, I am looking at either the Sennheiser PC350 or the Astro A40... What headsets do you guys use? Any suggestions or other headsets I should look at? Never buying another poor quality control turtle beach for sure, and want my money to go to something that will at least LAST.

Ego    1

Do you need a microphone attached to it?

Fafnir    38

Well I use a Logitech Wireless Headset F540 or something like that. I like it though I kinda damaged it so sometimes I cant get sound from the right side and have to play with it until I get it back. I guess the best thing to do is look up a type headset you want and look at the rating and comments people give on them.

Zero    463

I need to be able to voice chat if that answers the question. ._.

Guest AsOiX   
Guest AsOiX

Never ever ever ever buy razer headphones. Even the best. Bought the best one they had, a $50 headset sounds better. So much for "7.1"

Bryce_    1

Logitech G230's. Only $60 and by far the best headset I've ever purchased. Go for G930's for surround sound though. They go completely around my ears and are very comfortable. Can wear them for other 10 hours straight and have little to no complaints.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Sennheisers are good ! I had a G35 Logitech headset, and the sound was great, mic, i still use, but the chinsy construction of the headphones fell apart after a year of moderate usage. Very dissappointed.

Ego    1

I need to be able to voice chat if that answers the question. ._.

Haha, well I'd suggest buying headphones and microphone s separately, all round better quality imo

Brad    158

-snip-

Currently using a Logitech G35 wired headset, as Doug said, sound and talk is great.

Haven't experienced any quality issues yet and I got mine for about $130 (Canadian Loonies!)

Ender    645

I'm using a creative fatal1ty gaming headset it has a great mic great sound its pretty nice its about 25 bucks on amazon dirt cheap only problem i have had with it sofar is it feels abit cheap plastic quality wise and the cords are thin so be careful with them

JohnDeer    0

In my opinion it's worth spending out decent money once rather than buying 10 headsets over 10 years (I learnt the hard way). I have used various Steel Series, Razer headsets however I now own a pair of Astro A40's(£240) with a preamp. This has been by far my favorite headset due to a heavy build, it feels indestructible. The surround sound helps with immersion. However I do not use the inbuilt mic, for that I have a blue yeti (£95), the quality of this mic is more than I could ever need.

Shark    0

I went for the good stuff with mine. I got tired of "gaming headsets", so I bought a nice pair of headphones (AKG K7XX) and a Blue Yeti. Phenomenal quality for both and they'll last me ages.

Valkerion    0

I have some cheap chinese headset that i bought from amazon however its loud as hell sometimes a little to loud that things come through distorted as its naturally very bassy and it transmits my voice hella loud and clear in game.

Headphones

^

they seem to have doubled in price since i bought them weirdly they will probably go down again though.

^

I speak quite a lot in this video for reference of the mic quality

I would recommend since i got them for £20 which is cheap as hell and they are very comfortable as well however one gripe i have with them is the leds on the side dont go off unless you switch off the PSU of your PC and the cable is somewhat short when compared to most other headsets.

also in case it wasnt obvious they are pretty big.....if you have a tiny head well yeah...

SatansNightOut    105

Obviously, people have different experiences with different brands, models and products.

But personally, I've always enjoyed Turtle Beaches. I had a pair that WERE NOT wireless, and they lasted me a good 2 1/2 years through my drunken abuse, parties and general carelessness. I was surprised they'd lasted me that long.

On the flip side, I've had wireless TBs that died on me within a few months, no matter HOW much I've taken care of them.

Now? I bought some off-brand (but comfy) headset on eBay for pretty cheap (Uh, literally won a bid with $10), but... weirdly? they work WAY better than my last set of wireless Turtle Beaches. I couldn't tell you the brand, because they don't even say it on the headset. xD

... I'm not being very helpful, I just realized. Just thought I'd give some mystifying input with varying experiences.

EDIT: Heh, see? Valkerion almost has done the same! Just some off-brand that works rather well, surprisingly.

Shark    0

Could always go for the best of both worlds. A nice pair of headphones and a ModMic, which has really good quality for the price. And since the mic is detachable, you can always take it off before going into public without looking weird.

Valkerion    0

EDIT: Heh, see? Valkerion almost has done the same! Just some off-brand that works rather well, surprisingly.

kind of yes and no they are actually pretty well known as the sponsor of some chinese League of legends team (OMG) but we wouldnt know that in the western world really.

my headset before these were the tritton kunai they were also very good in terms of sound quality and volume but they were very plasticy and the headband would just crack and snap after repeated use up until that point they were fine though.

SatansNightOut    105

kind of yes and no they are actually pretty well known as the sponsor of some chinese League of legends team (OMG I believe its called) but we wouldnt know that in the western world really.

my headset before these were the tritton kunai they were also very good in terms of sound quality and volume but they were very plasticy and the headband would just crack and snap after repeated use up until that point they were fine though.

Haha, yeah, I hear you (Or do I?) :P

Honestly, it's just surprising how sometimes you can spend WAY less on a headset or pair of earphones that work just as well---or better---than some top-notch brands.

This sentiment even goes back to when I was a kid and used to buy headphones for my CD player, lol. I remember spending 30 bucks on these headphones that would NOT pump out enough sound.

Spent 10 bucks a day later? Music to my ears. Literally.

Sasha    0

Generally, what you want to do is stay away from gaming branded headsets. Hell, headsets in general.

It's much preferable to go with headphones and microphone separately.

For much less than the quoted turtle beach you can get a pair of Audio Technica M50's and a Blue Snowball microphone. I'd suggest reading around on www-head-fi.org before deciding on headphones that would fit you, as there's alot of different sound signatures around.

My favorite pair of headphones so far have been the Denon D2000's which are sadly not produced and incredibly hard to find now. Instead i went with a pair of Sennheiser HD650's which works great as a replacement for the D2000's.

When it comes to higher end headphones you'll have to make sure you have enough juice to power them, ie. an amplifier. Be it a good one on your soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence ST and STX can drive headphones up to 600 ohm just fine) or a separate one. There are of course low ohm headphones that are great and can be ran more easily. Remember, shit in, shit out. A pair of headphones can't magically make a shitty source any better. It portrays what goes in the headphone as accurately as it can.

I'm not going to have a long preach about different headphones, it's been done already. So read on head-fi and find your match, or make a thread there. Great community. :)

Regarding cheap microphones - Generally what i've noticed is that you can find cheap microphones that are great, moderately easily, low-mid level mics are generally crap, and then mid-high+ are generally great, in all groups you'll find exceptions of course. Personally i'm using a Blue Snowball at the moment. Works just fine, though i think on a second thought i might have gone for an AT2020 from Audio Technica. A bit more fiddly though and i was lazy.

Krullin    0

Generally, what you want to do is stay away from gaming branded headsets. Hell, headsets in general.

It's much preferable to go with headphones and microphone separately.

-snip-

^^^^ This guy speaks the truth. Currently I'm using Tte Sports Cronos and the mic is just horrible, I ended up buying a ModMic to attach to it because I didn't want to sound like a bloody robot. Now I look like an idiot using two different mics.

Roach    1649

Everytime I buy a "High Quality" headset and pay hundreds sometimes out mah pockets... they break/stop working within months. Can't even last a year. And I am super careful about everything I own.

I decided to start buying cheaper headsets that cost like $30 and they last forever. Had these headphones that cost me $30 for 3 years now :)

Not the best quality but I hear everything just fine (Front, Left, Right, Back) and people can hear me talk just fine too.

120111052238.jpg

Guest Phat J   
Guest Phat J

I have a Corsair Hyper X headset. Works great for me.

Yuval    2

anything BUT headsets would be good

I had a pair of Shure SRH 840's for 4+ years, good as new, been through so much abuse.

Beyerdynamic are outstanding aswell, i have a DT990 for a year now, very light, simple and durable, aswel you can fix them yourself as they can be disassembled with ease.

But if you are unable to put a mic on your desk and you must get a headset, Kingstone HyperX, PC360, Audio techina's gaming headsets are your best picks, as they are rebranded headsets with mics on them.

Oh, and headphones will destroy any headset (even the most expensive ones) in terms of sound quality, build quality and comfort for less cash