Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 12:10

At what point do you tell someone its your vehicle?

I have had two motorbikes hidden to the west of TP for two days now, sadly most of the time i have died or my bus blew up with the replacement wheels (both were missing both wheels)

So I'm just north and i hear shooting, looks like a friendly group together so i continue to my bike. I get real close to the spot, openly showing my position to the group because I'm friendly. The guy comes out of asks me where my friends are? So i figure he was hunting the first two as he was slightly behind them.

Tell him what direction they went cause i saw everyone as i was coming down hill.

I ask how the motorbike got to the middle of the road, and he didn't reply. He was checking in the woods not going too far away from me because I'm sure he thought i was with them.

I repaired one wheel, he checked the bike but said nothing.

Waited another minute as his looking around for this group, i didn't want to get my bike stolen by someone right as i repair it. So i wait for him to get some distance. I repair it and start to ride off with what i was sure was my bike being 10m from where i left it.

He ordered me to stop and get off his bike.

Now I'm not disputing the fact that if i leave my bike anyone can take it, but at what point does he need to make me aware that he claimed the bike?

He didn't say a word about the bike when i asked him and he didn't say anything about me repairing it. Mind you he was talking to me constantly and replied to everything else.

His bike? or claiming ownership because i repaired it to rideable state.

Blaze

• MVP

No such thing as ownership exists in Chernarus.

That's not true at all. If me and some other S.D.S members have just pulled up somewhere, gotten out to bloodbag or something, and some random guy jumps in our vehicle and tries to drive away, we have full right to shoot him, as the vehicle belonged to us and his attempting to steal it is a hostile action.

As far as the original question goes, I'm inclined to think that if you arrive at that location to see that your vehicle has been moved from its original position, and there is someone else standing near it, then they have claimed it as their own. Best thing to do would just be to ask if its his, as he would have no reason to declare it to you otherwise.

And no, I don't think repairing it to working condition gives you any sort of ownership rights, unless it was agreed upon with whom ever it belonged to (which, again, you'd only know if you asked).

Words are foggy but i did refer to it as "my motorbike" when i asked who moved it. He was originally 200m+ away when i was running down the hill, he was following another group but i did get to the motorbike first.

Still question is when do you tell someone that you have claimed it? I think if someone referred to my bike as their bike i would say something, and if they started to repair it i definitely would.

He could of robbed me yes but he said it was his bike as if i was stealing. The point is how do i know he didn't just say it was his because i repaired it?

putting a motorbike in the middle of the road with trees aside is just as good as any other road block which is probably why someone moved it.

• MVP

Yeah I understand what you mean. He remained quiet throughout when it would seem likely he would say something if it was his, yet he said nothing until you drove away on it.

I think the only way to avoid vague gray areas like that is just to ask just to make sure. That way, however it plays out, you've been given a definite answer that you can go off.

• MVP

That's not true at all. If me and some other S.D.S members have just pulled up somewhere, gotten out to bloodbag or something, and some random guy jumps in our vehicle and tries to drive away, we have full right to shoot him, as the vehicle belonged to us and his attempting to steal it is a hostile action.

As far as the original question goes, I'm inclined to think that if you arrive at that location to see that your vehicle has been moved from its original position, and there is someone else standing near it, then they have claimed it as their own. Best thing to do would just be to ask if its his, as he would have no reason to declare it to you otherwise.

And no, I don't think repairing it to working condition gives you any sort of ownership rights, unless it was agreed upon with whom ever it belonged to (which, again, you'd only know if you asked).

You are definitely allowed to shoot someone if he's getting away with "your" vehicle, but with no ownership I mean you can't complain afterwards on the forum. Ownership isn't moderated except for in the TP.

If someone steals your vehicle in real life, you can go to the police. In this case, the police acts as a moderator. But in DayZRP/Chernarus, there's only a police in the TP in those cases.

Point is that he can order you to stop whether or not it is his vehicle, and you can shoot him if you don't want to comply whether or not it is his vehicle. If it's your bike, it will be a robbery which means you can shoot him. If it's his bike, you can still say no and shoot him/drive away. It would make you the robber, but besides that nothing really changed.

If he tricked you into repairing "his" vehicle by letting you think it was still "yours", that doesn't change anything.

• MVP

I have had two motorbikes hidden to the west of TP for two days now, sadly most of the time i have died or my bus blew up with the replacement wheels (both were missing both wheels)

This is what concerns me. If you had died in a particular scenario. Would those vehicles still belong to you?

Say that you had died and left your bike in a particular place with broken tires. It takes you a significant period of time to get back to your vehicle and someone stumbles across it in your absence.

In my opinion, I think that you lost the rights to it due to it being abandoned on your death. Had you not died, I would say you could still claim it as yours.

Death removes your right on gear, why not vehicles?

Edit: I can understand if you had a buddy nearby to the vehicle but not if you leave it for a period of time.

• MVP

Death removes your right on gear, why not vehicles?

I totally agree. Death is supposed to be permanent. That we choose to continue with the same character (saying we "passed out"), doesn't change the fact that we died. Just like you aren't allowed to walk back to your dead body, you shouldn't be allowed to walk back to your vehicle.

Guest Alpha

Whoever would attempt to steal my vehicle, I will not stand in his/her way. Let him or her have it, I don't care. It wasn't my vehicle anyway and it has never been, not even when I was driving it. Best you can do is just comply and don't try stupid shit, that's the only way to guarantee survival.

He was being hostile to you by telling you to stop. You could get out and kill him. If that is not your style, debate a bit further. I did not had the feeling he would shoot you instantly. You claimed the bike by telling it was yours he did not respond on your claims just waiting for the right moment to stop you wich is you getting on it of course.

On right on ownershop as in if another guy gets in you can shoot you would have to be there when he arrived. Seeing he was there first and you being away a long time he could have claimed it and shoot you. Only judging by the conversation details he did no such thing to claim so yeah it was your bike again, but when you got on it he initiated.

Lesson for you would be: Don't hide stuff near tp. being in a car/bike makes you an easy target. And don't trust people dat do not respond in a clear matter these guys are up to something and probaly calling for support whispering in their radio.

It was not your bike and we did not see you fixing it as we were on look-out for those 2 guys, that's why we asked you where your friends were as we thought you was being the bait and you guys tried to set a trap. Then you started to drive on it and instead of shooting you gino asked what you were doing with his bike and didn't realize you had fixed it before he drove it back there.

Next time do what Sky told you, you never know if that actually is yours if it's moved position or saw it getting taken by the same people. Ask who's it is instead of just try to grab it back.

• MVP

love all this talk of ownership. whats the phrase?

'dont get too attached to your gear.'

I think part of the fun is getting attached to your gear, and then losing it. I know death is supposed to be permanent in DayZ(RP), but it just doesn't have the same impact as real life death. However, if you attach value you to your gear, you can increase the impact of death which makes it a whole lot more enjoyable for me. While death in-game can never have such big impact as death in life, you can increase the impact by adding value to your life.

That said, I do agree that people shouldn't worry too much about who's owning what vehicle. Ownership isn't moderated (TP excluded). You can say a car is yours, but it doesn't make any difference if it is or isn't. Demanding someone to stop a vehicle is a hostile action whether it's "your" car or not.

The owner is the one that shoots you in the head and drives away with it (not the head, the car)... until he loses it by getting shot in the head.

as long as they follow the rules, initiate properly etc then anyone can take your vehicle, same way they can take your backpack or weapon.

its never truly 'yours'.

• MVP

as long as they follow the rules, initiate properly etc then anyone can take your vehicle, same way they can take your backpack or weapon.

its never truly 'yours'.

Exactly. That's what I meant by my original comment that no such thing as ownership exists in Chernarus.

• MVP

its never truly 'yours'.

Exactly. That's what I meant by my original comment that no such thing as ownership exists in Chernarus.

I don't agree with this statement, but I understand what you are getting at.

There is ownership in Chernarus.

If you find it and use it, by all means, it belongs to you and is in your possession. According to all the definitions, it is yours.

The problem it that it is very easy to commandeer any item from anyone.

I think that is what you guys mean; there is a high rate of turnover and what is yours could easily become another person's.

I'm just trying to learn the mechanics of the RP server so i can use them correctly. The second bike i had close by was actually stashed by someone else i just mentioned it cause i had plans to repair both. The post is mostly about understanding if it was a extortion, robbery or just bad luck, in no way was what they did unfair just unclear.

The bike i believe actually spawns on the road there after looking back of the screen shot i took when i first found the bike (yes i dont know my directions in DayZ just yet)

As for NLR it is a bit sticky situation because theres no explanation on how far it is taken or not. If i die and can never reclaim a stashed vehicle then what about tents?? You see where i am going with this so i wont go in to depth unless you tell me after you die and don't even play with the same friends, but i do follow the basics like not returning to my loot, fire fights or places of death.

I will fight over this bike daily (if it spawns there) so if you want competition then fell free.

mymotorbike.jpg

• MVP

What you said can be interpreted multiple ways, but I understand your point. However, I think its perfectly reasonable for someone to want to enquire about how the rules can effect a certain situation.

Back to the main post; the way I see it, the vehicle was originally yours, and you stashed it somewhere. You come back to see its been moved, and there are at least two(?) people in the vicinity. At that stage you have to make the assumption that whom ever has moved it, has most likely claimed it as well.

Despite the hints you may have dropped in conversation to try and find out if they have claimed it or not, you're always going to be taking the risk of being shot when you get on it and ride away. The best way to be sure, is simply to ask and make sure both parties are clear on where things stand.

As far as the NLR goes, I don't take it very far. It was introduced to stop people from returning to fire fights; that is its primary function. The way I apply it to my character and my RP, is that when I respawn, I'm the exact same person as I was before but I have no memory of the incident that lead to my death. If people want to take it further and pretend to forget where their camps were, then that is fine, but I don't think that level of RP should be enforced.

What you said can be interpreted multiple ways, but I understand your point. However, I think its perfectly reasonable for someone to want to enquire about how the rules can effect a certain situation.

Back to the main post; the way I see it, the vehicle was originally yours, and you stashed it somewhere. You come back to see its been moved, and there are at least two(?) people in the vicinity. At that stage you have to make the assumption that whom ever has moved it, has most likely claimed it as well.

Despite the hints you may have dropped in conversation to try and find out if they have claimed it or not, you're always going to be taking the risk of being shot when you get on it and ride away. The best way to be sure, is simply to ask and make sure both parties are clear on where things stand.

As far as the NLR goes, I don't take it very far. It was introduced to stop people from returning to fire fights; that is its primary function. The way I apply it to my character and my RP, is that when I respawn, I'm the exact same person as I was before but I have no memory of the incident that lead to my death. If people want to take it further and pretend to forget where their camps were, then that is fine, but I don't think that level of RP should be enforced.

The bike has now been placed there about 3-4 times now from what i have seen, I am starting to think it spawns there as Misty suggested in that SS i posted.

I will put it down to them being opportunist and "robbing" me without actually saying it was a robbery. I will know next time though if i see that motorbike there again.

Off topic note i just spent a few hours blasting through the woods practicing my skills with a green jeep and white car chasing me only to be left for dead. Great fun until the bridge ruined both of my wheels, shame i expected to be able to cross it perfectly.

Bus Driver aka Motorbike Bandit

arma2oa20130314004355.jpg

its never truly 'yours'.

I think that is what you guys mean; there is a high rate of turnover and what is yours could easily become another person's.

within the rules, yeah thats exactly what i was getting at mate.