Server time: 2017-10-18, 04:00
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Scimfaxi

Do good films need social commentary?

Scimfaxi    0

Hey guys and gals.

As part of my final year thesis one chapter i'm considering is

"Do good films need social commentary?" with such examples as " Dawn of the Dead ( 1978 ) " being huge commentator of consumerism and social class, however that is worthy of another thread.

My point is as RP'ers we are reflecting a society in game (one way or another, except the KOS-ing scrubs) and so do films, tv shows, books, media and the whole lot! What do you guys think?

Do good films need social commentary?

How? Why?

How not? Why not?

Just throwing this out here, and would also really help with my philosopher survivor.

. No poll as it's too broad of an answer I feel.

Mikachu    26

My point is as RP'ers we are reflecting a society in game (one way or another, except the KOS-ing scrubs)

I would argue the KOSers are actually representing society a lot more than those RPing.

They show the anonymity of the internet and safety of games give them cause to wreak havoc without repercussion. It's like the gamergate stuff - people say and do things hey never would in person because they feel safe behind a screen and don't think about the real person on the other side.

EDIT: On the actual question I'd say that all good films will contain some form of social commentary whether on purpose or not. The script and cinematography are all biased and effected by the writer/directors experiences and life. They will provide commentary on their social behaviors and norms even if it isn't on purpose or explicit. The best films, the ones that are remembered are all written and directed from the heart. The director/writer pours their soul into it and their soul is on show when you watch. They provide commentary purely by existing more so than by forcing commentary in a way to make a good movie.

Scimfaxi    0

My point is as RP'ers we are reflecting a society in game (one way or another, except the KOS-ing scrubs)

I would argue the KOSers are actually representing society a lot more than those RPing.

They show the anonymity of the internet and safety of games give them cause to wreak havoc without repercussion. It's like the gamergate stuff - people say and do things hey never would in person because they feel safe behind a screen and don't think about the real person on the other side.

Damn.. mind blow right there! Okay I'm open to the KOS-ers as a reflection.

On topic though it will happen on purpose or not because good writing is relating to characters with their warts and all. Much like society, a human story sells.