Server time: 2017-10-22, 01:00
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Sauce

Dealing with immature gameplay?

Sauce    52

Alright folks?

I've been back on for a few days now, running around Chernarus. I've met all sorts heh.

What I'm interested in is other RPers take on immature play.

Sometimes people slip up and say something stupid or whatever but there are those who clearly don't take the RP very seriously at all.

A few times now I've just had a player walk up to me or my group, in the most ridiculous 'accent' ever shouting 'Hey boy, nice gear you have' etc. While their friends try to encircle you, shouting and taunting like school yard children.

They are clearly not interested in role playing the encounter any more than talking enough to make you stop so they can try to rob your equipment.

So far in this case I have just been ignoring them and running/driving off. Usually to hails of uninitiated gun fire.

(There is a distinct difference between a troll robbery and a clean RP robbery)

Similarly I've met a fair few players who try to RP 'unhinged' characters... badly.

I've met some great characters who are creepy and do it well, but I'm sure you've all had encounters the same and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Right, well, what I'm getting at is:

How do others role play these less than desirable encounters out?

I've found that these bad RPers seem to take over, everyone in the group is put on edge and any/all RP that was happening up to that point is obliterated by the hammer of immature RP. Causing friction and everyone to run around like headless chickens for the next 1/2 hour until things have calmed down.

Especially as no one really wants to ignore another player, but sometimes, you just can't RP under that sensory abuse...

Every time that little DnD playing kid inside of me screams and dies out a little more :(

There must be some hardened veterans here that could provide a few simple tips on how to deal with this within the rule system, no?

It can be quite a complex situation if you think about it.

Harsh action could incite reports/revenge etc.

The softly softly approach rarely strikes a chord with these kids

Ignoring is pretty much an impossible task

So c'mon, gurus of RP show me your coping mettle...

Maxime    0

I'd like to know too actually, I've encountered some people at GM and it was really awkward. I'd like to know how to deal with this because this was just painful.

Sauce    52

Cheers Djefvul, but record and report seems to be the answer to everything.

I know it's for the greater good etc. and I do intend to help out with that but I also feel that it's a perfect way to create problems for yourself IG. I know OOC hate is against the rules but I rather doubt it will stop a known rule breaker. Anything other than a permanent ban for offenders leaves the victim open to abuse upon the return of the accused...

What I'm really looking for is anyone with insight or techniques for dealing with this IC.

You CAN report right, but you still have to deal with the situation at hand.

ONIC    0

I say we just American Idol it off. Have an audition server and give people real RP situations and see how they act.

Sauce    52

Yeah ONIC, a few of us have had similar thoughts about 'auditions' and things of that nature but I think that would take a huge amount of manpower and time that's not really available, although I don't really know...

As far as I see it there will always be problems.

If I were to report everything I'd never get any RP time at all haha.

So that's why I'm looking for another, at least, passable solution.

Hopefully someone out there has a handle on it.

I say we just American Idol it off. Have an audition server and give people real RP situations and see how they act.

I actually like this idea quite abit. It could be the initiation ritual into the community.

Brad    158

Teamspeak man. Get their in name game ask an mod to help you find them and see if they'll talk to you in team speak. Let them know what you thought and give them some constructive criticisim. If they react poorly then report em.

I'll never forget when Chernov and Pado did this for me, they PM'd me asking to talk in teamspeak and then explained how my backstory was a little off. Helped ne greatly!

EddyKreys    0

Sauce, those people that are clearly not interested in RPing will get bored and leave eventually, it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, we just need to hold on and report the trollers/bad RPers.

Also, I think it really depends on where you look for RP situations. It's safe to say that if you just hang around GM 24/7 some bad encounters are going to happen. But in other areas the RP level is better.

Sauce    52

Cheers Brad, that's the sort of thing I was looking for bud.

To expand on what Brad suggested.

The way the white-list works should do that job, however it is clear there are lots of applicants who haven't filled the application out themselves therefore negating it completely. Someone recently passed the very thorough whitelist process and then asked what NVFL means? - in a forum thread "AFTER" acceptance. Proof the whitelist system has a certain vulnerability... I mean no respect to the staff, and i don't have answers ):

The teamspeak idea is a good one but i think the staff have enough to do as is. It would probably be impossible to vet new applications.

Maybe people could be given a random different sentence to record and send with applications? I would have thought that could be feasible.

It is fair to point out that it is not just new players who are guilty of this. There are plenty of veteran players who have questionable attitudes regarding ruleplay and roleplay it has always been that way.

Tim "I move my mage to the door and cast fireball"

Joe "The great Joetini looks to his lifelong friend TimoZOR420SWAG and says "as always i am with you brother, and casts healing light on the powerful magician."

What I am trying to say is that good RP requires a certain degree of maturity - but mostly intelligence and imagination and it is difficult to not include people who are lacking in these areas. As said, mostly the really bad ones soon get bored with "nerds RP'ing."

TLDR:

GUD RP IS HARD MAN.

ONIC    0

I actually like this idea quite abit. It could be the initiation ritual into the community.

I will make that a suggestion

MatthewFC    43

I had met a person a couple days back that seemed friendly at first, even cooperated with me in skinning some cows in order to bring meat to a certain quite inhabited location... The thing was, he slipped up badly, telling me things like "last night I died in this town" and I felt the necessity of telling him off, by typing ooc of course. We just kept riding along until he had to go off, and for some reason he kept punching the air, buildings, everything. Breaking immersion in the process, of course. Then he slipped again about logging off, I told him off, he corrected himself and finally got off.

For some reason ATM, having the possibility of getting everything recorded with Shadowplay, I decided against. I guess that, while he had RPed terribly, he had been friendly and even helpful, so it felt kinda bitter to report him.

But, having slept over it, now I kinda regret not recording it. A report does not necesarily mean a punishment, and even more so in the situation we were it would have either helped him better his RP and his knowledge of the rules or at least given him a hint that he might not belong to RP.

So, in a lot of situations the best thing you can do is just gather as much data on the person as possible (a name would be great, videos are excellent) and report him/her. Do it not seeking punishment, but in order to make the person face his mistakes and improve upon them, maybe get him in contact with people that would want to help him step up his RP, if you would not yourself. You'll be doing a good thing, both for the reported person and for the community as a whole.

Grihm    16

Was mentioned before in talks that perhaps have a startup server where you begin your gameplay and if older veterans from the server and the mod want to help there, it would be optional and a good deed. As it is now, there are lot of people in need of help and that would welcome it as well. However, there are to many "meh i dun give a damn" that just pushed through the whitelist and then forgot everything in a heartbeat, and you loose the energy to keep everything up because of you yourself are following the rules.

The lack of respect for both the server and the community is way too high, and it´s very clear from certain individuals that are going hostile or verbally abusive in reports etc. There is a hole in the security web somewhere, because this many should not slip through.

ObeSpartan    0

Hard to handle..sadly :(

Someone has to tell them something serious to get them back on earth and break their daydreaming

sadly most of em has to ne punished. Its hard was but ppl learn of this..

But like mentioned TS is a choice or the OOC Chat. just warn them, and tell em u are recording, even though u dont lol

What happens to me the most is I meet a guy and try to RP. But most of the times he is just quiet and asks for a name. But if you do find the right people like I did a couple of times where you actully talk about the past, family what happend to them and tell storys it can be epic. But for the most part you just meet "quiet" RPers loot hoarders and robbers who aren't even fun to RP with, since all they do is say put everything on the ground. I mean you would undress someone to the undies in real life? My tip is travel more north. The further you go the better it gets

What happens to me the most is I meet a guy and try to RP. But most of the times he is just quiet and asks for a name. But if you do find the right people like I did a couple of times where you actully talk about the past, family what happend to them and tell storys it can be epic. But for the most part you just meet "quiet" RPers loot hoarders and robbers who aren't even fun to RP with, since all they do is say put everything on the ground. I mean you would undress someone to the undies in real life? My tip is travel more north. The further you go the better it gets

2 days ago i was traveling through the north from east to west on 50/50 server for about 2 hours and i didn't meet anyone :( Only saw 2 trucks passing by on the road. And north well... For me it's still bugged and i got drastic FPS drop.

Guest bobman235   
Guest bobman235

the way i have always dealt with it on other servers is just try to rp with them as best you can and if it gets out of hand then tell them occ that if they do not stop that they will be reported for trolling. has always worked for me. plus I record when ever i pay on a rp server so that helps to with reports.

Jm Von Cat    154

the way i have always dealt with it on other servers is just try to rp with them as best you can and if it gets out of hand then tell them occ that if they do not stop that they will be reported for trolling. has always worked for me. plus I record when ever i pay on a rp server so that helps to with reports.

Going OOC like that is highly discouraged, just RP an excuse to leave and report it later.

OOC don't solve nothin

Guest bobman235   
Guest bobman235

i

Going OOC like that is highly discouraged, just RP an excuse to leave and report it later.

OOC don't solve nothin

i go ooc to help them know that what they are doing is not right. they could be new to rp and such so rather then just report them i would rather give them a chance to change. but that's just me. if its something more serious them i just report them

Jm Von Cat    154

i

OOC don't solve nothin

i go ooc to help them know that what they are doing is not right. they could be new to rp and such so rather then just report them i would rather give them a chance to change. but that's just me. if its something more serious them i just report them

Find em on TS or the Forums after and talk to em about it, not a report and you can help em out quite a bit.

Nickson    7

You will always encounter bad roleplayers or people who are not 100% into roleplay and just want to rob/be with their friends. I've met tons of em and usually what I do is just try to initiate a conversation with them, get them going and if they are still being silent, IC just go : "why so silent buddy ? Whats up ?" Or something along those lines. If they make minor mistakes but still provide RP then they're for 60% there and are a decent source of roleplay. Its the matter of approach and knowing how to deal with "new" roleplayers. It's always awkward at the start, you just got to move them in.

And well for the characters that are only there to rob, dont waste your time on them, 9 out of 10 they are new and want to be that cool bandit type. They'll do nothing else than just rob and joke around. Most of the time, they're not interested in RP and they wont give you decent RP at all. You tend to see those "unexperienced" bandits/BadRPers bandit shift a lot and be really tense and not spontanious. Thats how I recognize them and then I just turn away or call them out on it OOC in game. And well having a group always helps as well