Server time: 2017-10-18, 09:19
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Ozerold

Improvised silencers

Ozerold    0

What do you peps think about an improvised silencer?

I think that it would be pretty cool if u could craft a improvised silencer

with an plastic bottle and something to fill it with and attach it on your gun with duct tape but it can only silence around 3 or max. 7 shots until the silencer gets ruined.

(just grabbed this idea from the film shooter)

Ozerold    0

Potato silencer need to be a thing, good for 1-2 shots.

there was a game but idk what is it called but u could use a cat as silencer but i dont remember the name...

Roman    0

there was a game but idk what is it called but u could use a cat as silencer but i dont remember the name...

But potatoes can actually be used as a silencer, it was pretty popular during the 90s.

Pretty sure that game is Postal

ONIC    0

I sont think they should focus on improvised silencers. Probably more useful working on actual silencers.

Ozerold    0

Pretty sure that game is Postal

yep now i remember, ty m8!

Hop    0

Pretty cool idea and Postal was such brilliant game to bring out you're inner psychopath xD .

Skhmt    0

Plastic bottles don't work as silencers. Pillows and potatoes don't work well enough that they're worth using. They might reduce by a decibel or two.

And a potato wouldn't last more than one shot.

Unless we're talking about .22LR (Sporter and Amphibia)... Then yeah you can probably make those quieter with anything you can think of.

Subso    0

I like the idea... maybe I can find something on google to build homemade silencers (or something in that direction)

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Yeah , this is a really cool idea. I don't see how a water bottle, or potato, or even a Zucchini !, could be used more than once though ? A silencer on the Amphibia would be , OMFG !!!

Cjbustuup    1

Would be pretty cool to have this but yea as said above they only work for a few shots.

Demos    0

Here is an idea ( personal experience ) take the average can, like for a can of bean or peaches , fill it with the cotton stuffing for the average teddy bear , soak it in water then tape that to the end of a pistol and depending on the caliber of the pistol in question you can either get 2-5 shots of "suppressed" shots ( meaning quieter not silent ) that should keep things fair for anyone either the one getting shot at or the shooter that way you dont let the whole world know you are shooting , figure of speech, and only people in the general area. Lets say about the average house length away so 20-30 feet away ( again depending on the pistol. I dont personally believe an improvised "suppressor" or otherwise should be put in the game as it would give an unfair advantage to someone at a distance . To me that sounds like a fair way of going about it.

Subso    0

If I remember right... silencers dont really make it that much more silence... it just changes the sound to a point where you dont really get the shot, also reduces muzzle flame and such.

Jm Von Cat    154

If I remember right... silencers dont really make it that much more silence... it just changes the sound to a point where you dont really get the shot, also reduces muzzle flame and such.

Supressors are designed to supress sound, hence the name. they do indeed make weapons quieter and in some cases the only sound heared in the movement of the weapons bolt (Sten SMG ww2 to name one famous one)

To a degree some supress flash as well, but not all (DayZ ones also do not supress flash (I think))

Scooter    51

A little silencing tradition here in Michigan is to tape a 2-liter pop/soda bottle to the end of your gun. Works pretty well at first.

I like the idea, and I like the way it encourages multiple uses for items that already exist in game. It also adds more stealth to DayZ, which I'm always a fan of.

From the practical perspective, supersonic cartridge loads are impractical to suppress past the levels that are merely hearing-safe for the shooter due to the sonic boom emitted by the bullet, and cartridges such as .22 LR and .45 ACP have long been recognized as the easiest to suppress even if using technology dating back to 1940s

If this is an option, it should be better (quieter) on some calibers than others. This would create a multi-tiered weapon hierarchy where players must weight up multiple pros and cons.

An example of this being in the game already is the choice between an AKM and AK74/101. Do you opt for the weapon for the weapon with a higher caliber (and 75rnd drum mag) or the lower caliber which can attach a suppressor.

ammo trader    0

It would be an interesting mechanic to put into the game. An improvised silencer could be done with rifles, smgs, shotguns, the revolver, and the longhorn. Other pistols with an action that moves down the length of the barrel such as the M1911 wouldn't be practical. You would need a silencer to be screwed into the barrel so it wouldn't interrupt the firing action of the pistol, but that would be tricky to make without it obstructing the muzzle for the bullet to be fired out. Putting one over the outside of the barrel would be easier, but the firing action would destroy the silencer as soon as the gun is fired. With the revolver and repeater the silencer would cover up the iron sights since it would again have to be put on over the barrel and not into it. A shotgun would be less affected by this since shotguns are pointed and not aimed and the sights are less relevant. With rifles it would work if you had a scope to see over the obstructing silencer.

With that said I would have to say that a modified car muffler would be the best option since a silencer is pretty much a muffler for a gun. The muffler would just have to be light enough( or able to be made light enough) to be put on and carried with a gun. Making the muffler have to be of specific dimensions would be the best way to argue that you cant just find one on the street that easily.

Zoot    0

if they gonna put silencer for mosins and ak-47s,

it should be realistic.

the real silencers for them are pretty huge and bulky.

improvised silencers for them? never.. but for pistols yeah it has to be something.

Supressors are not designed to be silent. If you stand 3 feet away from the gun it wont sound very different from a regular gun, but at 200 feet you will hear noticeable difference.

You cant go into a room and drop an enemy without the rest of the room hearing it, but you might drop an enemy without the neighbours hearing it.

Postal 2

That game was all sorts of dafuq

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

Elaborate on the real supressors in game first. Both their sounds are imported from Arma 3 and I would be quite excited if they implemented a better sound for them. And whilst getting shot by a supressor, I can still hear the supersonic boom as it passes me, I don't know if that realistic or not but I thought ammunition shot through a supressor would become sub sonic.

Guest Frenzy   
Guest Frenzy

Don't think that there is a point, really.

You already have silencers in the game, an improvised silencer wouldn't make much sense, although it would be quite cool.

The developers need to focus on actually finalising the silencers.