Server time: 2017-10-20, 18:12
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Map Rotated

Just a little FYI for those that may be confused. It appears that with the 0.53 patch, either the compasses or the map itself have been rotated 90 degrees. Compasses now show the sea to be south of Solnichniy rather than east of it. I've confirmed via other people and on other servers that this seems to be the case.

So, yeah. If you use online maps for navigation, be aware of the 90-degree rotation.

Edit: Nevermind, I just recalled an incident where the compass lied to me before the patch. I guess it's been an issue for a while and compasses have just been good to me for the most part.

Mortico    1

Wow, this helps alot, i thought all compasses where just broken and all where pointing different directions :/

Wow, this helps alot, i thought all compasses where just broken and all where pointing different directions :/

They might be. So far, mine have consistently been pointing off by 90 degrees, but I might just have been lucky, or it could have been a coincidence...

Mortico    1

They might be. So far, mine have consistently been pointing off by 90 degrees, but I might just have been lucky, or it could have been a coincidence...

I hope you're right about the 90 degree change, i dont want my compasses bringing me the wrong way

Erik    107

This has been the case I think since .52, tried going south from Novo to hit the ocean in an attempt to get to Elektro, wound up on the western edge of the map.

Now that you mention it, this has been an issue for a while. I recall that I once hit the southeastern edge of the map, according to my compass, which should be impossible without a boat.

Vandy    34

Before the latest patch, compasesses were rotated 180 degrees when you put them out of your clothing and back into it.

But didn't know about the 90 degrees yet, so thanks for letting us know. Any source on it?

Before the latest patch, compasesses were rotated 180 degrees when you put them out of your clothing and back into it.

But didn't know about the 90 degrees yet, so thanks for letting us know. Any source on it?

I have no source, sorry, just my own personal experience. I know for certain, however, that I was at the Solnichniy factory, faced the ocean, pulled my compass out, and it said I was facing south, when I know damn well the ocean is east of the factory there.

Also, as earlier stated, I once hit the southeast map border, according to my compass, which was at the top of a mountain when it should be at the bottom of the ocean. I was clearly at the northwest corner.

Tomeran    3

I noticed this as well when I tried to get to zeleno.

"y u do dis, compass!"

For now lets blame it on..eh...a solar flare. Or something. Yes.

As far as I know, the accuracy of the compass depends on its condition - anything below pristine and it starts to point you in the wrong direction. I tested this one night with two compasses - one pristine and one damaged. Looking at the center of the Big Dipper, the pristine one accurately stated I was looking to the north-east, while the damaged one said I was pointing south.

So, it probably isn't worth it to pick up a compass if it's not in pristine condition.

ONIC    0

I don't even use compasses. It helps give you a better sense of direction.

I was wondering WTF was going on, I thought it was the compass glitch we used to have where it would be stuck showing one direction. Good to know. Tried to meet with some friends in Zelenogorsk, ended up at Myshkino tents.

Mikachu    26

The compasses are actually just bugged out :)

Usually if you put them into some clothes then the floor, then clothes again it works :)

Glenn    10

Yeah this freaked me out the first time too.... i was on the NWAF and it said east where north should be.

so dropped to compass and never picked one up ever again... don't need one.

enar21    1

I noticed this as well when I tried to get to zeleno.

"y u do dis, compass!"

For now lets blame it on..eh...a solar flare. Or something. Yes.

Let's blame it on that the russian nuked the north and south pole!

MatthewFC    43

I can confirm that compasses are currently rotated 90 degrees and what they label as West is the true North, East is the South, and so on. It's something that, as the person in navigation duty whenever I get in a group, I had figured out the first day of the 0.53 patch

This is NOT a glitch in the same sense that 0.52 had compasses sometimes "zeroing" at a new North every now and then (thus becoming useless). The compasses now will consistently be rotated 90 degrees no matter what you do, and thus may be confusing and unfixable but still usable.

PS: and I wanted to add, even when ruined a compass will work just the same. Current condition has nothing to do with how compasses work and troughout the alpha condition had never been a factor. Maybe sometime in the future, but not yet.

Roach    1645

I tested this a LOT. My compass works fine, only it points this way.

WEST = NORTH

EAST = SOUTH

For me anyways and it seems to work that way :)

Diggy    0

eye_reasonably_small_400x400.jpg

Wake up people! They rotated the map and left us for dead!

In all seriousness they need to fix the compass ASAP as I am a lost puppy without one.

before this patch, compasses were buggy and inconsistent. this patch they are pointed the wrong direction but at least they are consistent... 90* as lucia stated...

Guest bobman235   
Guest bobman235

its not the map its compasses. they still work its just than now north is east on a compass.