Server time: 2017-08-19, 15:09

Sign in to follow this  
EddyKreys

Text RPers, read this!

EddyKreys    0

I was thinking about text RPing in general and the fact that sometimes it can be an hassle to type in all those words. Then I realized: we are PC gamers, right? If I have learnt anything about PC Gaming is that there's always a solution, you just need to google the right words to find it.

I was looking for a program that would allow you to copy multiple strings of text and then paste them by pressing different key combinations, making text RP way quicker. Then I found this:

TenClips

http://www.paludour.net/TenClips.html#DOWNLOAD

So, how does it work?

Basically, you have ten text slots. You fill them with ten different sentences, the most common ones, such as "Hi, my name is..." or "Do you need anything from my backpack?" and so on. The choiche is yours. Once you filled the ten slots, you can scroll with the mouse to select one of them and then past them with Ctrl + V

Ok, but how is it going to work in game?

Well, this is the tricky part. You have to Alt Tab between the game and the Clipboard, quickly scroll with the mouse to select the sentence to use and then Boom, you paste it in the direct communication box. I can assure you that is way quicker and easier than it seems, I tried it personally and it is still faster that typing all the sentence entirely. You just need to left click on the screen instead of Alt Tabbing back, and you will be back in game in no time. The clipboard is small, so you wil still be able to see the game in the background while browsing through the expressions. If your game crashes when Alt Tabbed, then you won't be able to use this until I find a way to avoid the Alt Tabbing thing.

Will I be able to TOTALLY rely on this clipboard?

Of course not. You will still have to type manually most of the time, but that's not the point. I'm sure you wrote countless times "My name is....", and other basic things, now you can just do that a little faster.

I hate this software and I hate you too, Eddy. I'll keep text RPing as I did before

Sure, no problem! It was just an idea to improve the roleplaying experience. Maybe there are other better softwares than this one, we just need to find them if you like the idea. This software is very easy to use, but if you don't understand how it works just ask me, I'll write a tutorial in this thread!

Let me know what you think about this.

Maxime    0

Nice, this should be on the guides forum, it will surely be useful for some people.

Wish it had more than ten text slot :c And without alt-tabbing, makes my game crash too often, the risk is too high.

Also, it can be useful to everyone for *Actions*. Not only text Rpers ;)

RavioliKing    10

Nice, this should be on the guides forum, it will surely be useful for some people.

Wish it had more than ten text slot :c And without alt-tabbing, makes my game crash too often, the risk is too high.

Yeah, I agree. I've never encountered people using direct comms to use or describe an action, I wish more people would do it.

Yeah, I agree. I've never encountered people using direct comms to use or describe an action, I wish more people would do it.

You can do that?

Whitefur    4

People have gotten in trouble for using copy/paste in the past, so I would tread with caution.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

People have gotten in trouble for using copy/paste in the past, so I would tread with caution.

yeah, copy/paste spam, or copy/paste initiation,

Having something like

*spits the black tar from his mouth from the tobacco to the ground*

as a ctrl+delete or something won't be bad.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

NEVER FORGET THE STRUGGLE OF HAVING TO TAB OUT AND LOOK FOR AN INITATION TO COPY AND PASTE

you people have it to easy nowadays... with you and your 'ten clips'

Vandy    34

So as a text rp'er, all your conversations are the same?

You always say the same things in game?

That would become rather boring for me...

I rp'ed allot on text only games. And I only had hotkeys for texts such as "*Unholsters his weapon, reloading it*

Basically, only for animations that you couldn't show in game with your character, but were very needed in the text rp. Thing is, Dayz has all these animations, and it is not needed to textrp reloading your gun.

And appearantly, older members of the community say you could get in trouble for this. So I'd say, don't use it at all.

Btw, http://www.autohotkey.com/ is way more brilliant for such things...

Ironicman    7

Chill i can use my basic list of words to survive any conversation!

'Hello Comrade'

'I like your gun,what gun is that?'

'Are you part of any clan?'

'So whats your story?'

'Do you have any AK Mags!?'

'Drop Weapons 10 seconds or else ill shoot'

'*inspects gun*'

But Seriousily thought it could be a bit... boring.

EddyKreys    0

And appearantly, older members of the community say you could get in trouble for this. So I'd say, don't use it at all.

I never used this in a DayZRP server since I use voice RP. It was just something that came up on my mind last night and I thought It was right to share this with all of you. I didn't want anyone to get in trouble, it was just a suggestion.

Anyway, it seems like my idea is getting rekt. So it may be better to just forget about this.

Rip TenClips

*Sad violin music plays*