Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 08:27

Metagaming names? How serious should I take that?

Guest Alpha

Guest Alpha

I see a lot of people coming up to you and whenever you type something in the chat, lots of people tend to metagame your name and use it IC'ly even though they do not know you nor ever heard of your name in-characterly. They just use it like that, which is in fact metagaming. (For those who don't know the definition of Metagaming, metagaming is taking OOC knowledge ICly or the other way around to gain an unfair advantage, or just mixing IC/OOC (can even be unintentionally)).

Anyway, I've seen a lot of people doing this and that leaves me wondering how serious people take the roleplay here. I mean, to what level are things supposed to be roleplayed? I have never seen people roleplaying extensive interactions by using ** ** in the chat or anything likely, but on the other side, everyone does portray their own character most of the times. But then why do a lot of people metagame each others names like they don't really care? Do they just not realize what they're doing or are they not taking their roleplay serious? How strictly do you actally stick to your character instead of the game mechanics and your OOC self?

• Legend

My character is an information merchant. He meets a lot of people and talks pretty extensively with as many as he can. In that way, he's either had direct experience with or had second or third hand reports and impressions of a decent fraction of the people on the server (usually the most active players). When meeting someone IC whom I've met on the forum OOC or heard about OOC or IC, I usually say something like, "ah yes, I've heard of you. I've been hoping to meet you for awhile now." and if I think there's something they can help me with, or I can help them with, I'll try to develop some kind of storyline about it.

Awhile back, there was another player who I did this with and he freaked the f* out. Now to me, it was a small thing to say, 'ah yes, I've heard of you' when he typed his name in local chat, but he raged, insisting THAT'S NOT MY IN-GAME NAME blah blah blah; well sorry guy, that's what shows up when you speak - I'm supposed to remember two names for you, and then associate a new one every time your character dies? Nope.avi -- The guy came off as a complete douche and utterly ruined the immersion and role play for everyone who was there. Don't be that guy. (I know you won't Alpha, that was aimed at everyone)

The thing with role-play is that it's improvisational theatre of a sort. You've got to roll with the punches and make what you can of what you're given.

• MVP

I try to ask for someone's name even though I can see it, but often I forget. It happens. I don't think asking for the name is the most important aspect of roleplaying. Yeah, it's metagaming, but as long as you stay in character I think it´s not that big of a deal.

• Emerald

I try to ask for someone's name even though I can see it, but often I forget. It happens. I don't think asking for the name is the most important aspect of roleplaying. Yeah, it's metagaming, but as long as you stay in character I think it´s not that big of a deal.

I can understand the problem because of someone for example wants their name through textchat they can easily figure out if he is:

1. a bandit

2. if he is in fact a bandit he most likely has plans for you (robbery)

3. Bandits usually work in groups so its easy to figure out whether he's alone or not.

Guest nidpancho

personally, whenever me and most of my clan mates and friendlies interact with other players we ask for some form of identification. In retrospect, it's a bit silly I admit. It's the zombie apocalypse, who the fuck is going to carry an I.D. xD

nevertheless, I try to role play as much as possible.

Guest Alpha

Okay I can pretty much agree with all posters above, but let's say you're getting kidnapped by a group and they use the chat to communicate with you ICly, adn you can read their nicknames. You memorize the nicknames and manage to make it out of the kidnap situation alive. Then you head to TP as quickly as you can and you attempt to gather a group together to get your revenge at the group who kidnapped you, and then you go out looking for them and talk with every player you see and check if it was one of them by metagaming their nametags. What would be the server's policy on that, or how do people here think about that?

• Legend

Don't see anything wrong with it - as long as you survived and escaped legitimately.

Dying, coming back, and then going for revenge based on your OOC knowledge of names of kidnappers of your previous character - that's no good.

can't stand metagaming to be honest.

I wish it was a rule to never meta game. really ruins the RP.

you should of seen this server 2 months ago Alpha.

No RP going on here back then

I see people trying, but some people just want to kill people for no good reason. Some people just want to KoS without having to worry about being KoSed then argueing later you didnt KoS when infact the person did.

Meta is what ruins roleplay.

• MVP

Well, my character currently doesn't know about the tradepost, and he doesn't even know that there are other survivors (yet), but I don't think that counts for me, 'coz I'm one of the most needlessly hardcore roleplayer around DayZRP :P

That is freaking badass. I want to find you. Where are you? Don't tell me. I'm going to search for you. No I'm not, that would be metagaming. Fuck.

I'm going to coincidentally run into you.

Guest Alpha

Well, my character currently doesn't know about the tradepost, and he doesn't even know that there are other survivors (yet), but I don't think that counts for me, 'coz I'm one of the most needlessly hardcore roleplayer around DayZRP :P

I think every newspawn should roleplay like that. Just makes it way more realistic instead of just being like "ey men u got a spare Pepsi"

At first i didn't think it would matter or i would care but now since i know some of the main factions and have had dealing with them the first and only thing people ask me is what my name is and what clan i am in. I pretty much go into every situation with a clean slate and do not care about former game play in general but not as an attempt as NLR, just because its a bit girly to hold grudges for weeks/months and bring up the past.

Its not the best thing but its never going to stop unless you were to remove all in game name visibility even during chat. Not to mention clan XMLs which people are proud to show off anyway.

• MVP

It's girly to hold grudges? Maybe you're right from an OOC perspective, although I don't like the vocabulary. But from an IC standpoint, I think holding grudges is very smart and logical behaviour. That guy robbed me last week! Oh, well, maybe he's good now. Let's give him a chance. No one says that. You either avoid him or you confront him and try to kill him in some way.

Guest Alpha

It's girly to hold grudges? Maybe you're right from an OOC perspective, although I don't like the vocabulary. But from an IC standpoint, I think holding grudges is very smart and logical behaviour. That guy robbed me last week! Oh, well, maybe he's good now. Let's give him a chance. No one says that. You either avoid him or you confront him and try to kill him in some way.

Yeah, but more people should try to avoid him instead of confronting him if they are alone. People should use some more common sense and realize that they're human. Some people are just acting like robots, not feeling any emotions and just robbing like a terminator with a large group. People need to think twice and realize what they're roleplaying and how they're developing it. If you'd spawn for the first time, you should roleplay it as just arriving to the place and being entirely new in my opinion, and you'd be surprised or relieved if you'd see another survivor for the first time.

Next to that showing a little bit more emotions would be very applicable to develop your character properly. It's such a shame there's nothing like a local /me command in-game, that would really help.

• MVP

I totally agree Alpha, I was just commenting on his statement that holding grudges is "girly".

Not knowing there is a TP or even other survivors is something almost no one does though. We play the game to have fun, and for fun most people need other players (like I said in the other thread, DayZ is about player interaction). If I didn't, I would roleplay not having a clue where everyone and everything is.

[...] well sorry guy, that's what shows up when you speak - I'm supposed to remember two names for you, and then associate a new one every time your character dies? [...]

I agree on the remembering part. Does editing the profile name to a current characters name somehow change the PlayerID and causes trouble connecting with the server? If not I'd change it to my actual characters name.

For my part I don't like my char named 'Torf' it's just a name I use online.

Guest Alpha

[...] well sorry guy, that's what shows up when you speak - I'm supposed to remember two names for you, and then associate a new one every time your character dies? [...]

I agree on the remembering part. Does editing the profile name to a current characters name somehow change the PlayerID and causes trouble connecting with the server? If not I'd change it to my actual characters name.

For my part I don't like my char named 'Torf' it's just a name I use online.

You can change your nickname as much as you like. That will not affect anything.

• MVP

In my experience(8-9 years or so) of online gaming roleplay, I'd say the destructive potential of metagaming to the RP atmosphere is -generally- very overrated, especielly when it comes to names. Most of the complaints I've seen have been rather silly (WoW ones in particular), but a few of the complaints(and im talking 10% tops) do raise the occassional valid point of roleplaying integrity. People attempting to go in disguise is one such clear example.

I can imagine that might to a certain degree be relevant in arma 2(bandit skins, ghillie suits), but generally one would have to consider this: It is nigh impossible to just try and remember characters on faces alone through the Arma 2 facial features. It is however fairly easy to remember people through faces IRL(at least relativly speaking), and yaddayadda realism realism, and there you have an argument -for- a fair few select cases of name matagaming.

The problem is also this: Name metagaming is hard to avoid for new roleplayers, and lets face it, roleplay in DayZ is a fairly alien concept to many of our players. Its a pretty new thing, and they're pretty new at it. In my experience it takes A LOT of experience to instinctivly be able to avoid metagaming as a roleplayer.

So keeping this in mind, I think one shouldnt be too judgemental against new roleplayers for not getting the hang of this right away. Everyone goes through the learning phase.

All this being said, I would of course like to see as little of it as possible since it -can- very well be destructive for the RP atmosphere.

I just think setting any sort of rule or anything like that against it is pure madness.

Tldr: Imo, "name metagaming" is pretty low on the list of "RP offenses" and shouldnt be taken THAT seriously. Although it might vary on the situation and how much RP it could potentially ruin, of course.

• MVP
But then why do a lot of people metagame each others names like they don't really care? Do they just not realize what they're doing or are they not taking their roleplay serious? How strictly do you actally stick to your character instead of the game mechanics and your OOC self?

Personally, I don't think using OOC knowledge of people names when in-game is a problem, as long as its not putting you at a distinct advantage.

For instance, if I see someone I chat to on team speak regularly in-game for the first time, I'm not going to talk to them like we just met.

I think the balance of IC/OOC we have at the moment is pretty stable.

There is a difference between being mindful of who someone is/characteristics and sitting there all week every time there name pops up "omg when i get a chance I'm going to make their time in game as miserable as i can"

Most of the time the people holding the grudges and having a big QQ are the ones who are robbing and killing people. Eg "This guy resisted robbery but we still shot him down like a dog, next time I'm going to treat him like a right piece of shit"

I'm not saying don't remember who people are because its not going to stop the whole meta gaming on characteristics/clans but don't hold grudges on a robbery or a incident that happened weeks ago.

So many examples i seen of recent

"he may or may not of shot at my car in TP, i hate him"

"he was standing near my backpack when i logged in and had my CCO robbed, he doesn't have the weapon in his hand, inventory or car but i still hate him cause i cant find out who did it"

"he has the same skin as that guy who robbed me hours ago (kos)"