Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 19:08

What is RPing?

Guest Samuel

Guest Samuel

Tell me folks, what do you say that RPing is?

I say that RPing is going into another persons mind.

S.D.S gets shit for roleplaying like that.

If you think that RPing is something else then please tell me what it is and why you think so.

I REALLLLYYY want Rolle to comment here what he thinks RPing is.

Guest Jamie

Role-playing refers to the changing of one's behaviour to assume a role, either unconsciously to fill a social role, or consciously to act out an adopted role.

Just a definition.

• MVP

It´s not an easy question.

Im not robing or killing people in my ordinary life(or im i?)

Therefore its roleplaying for me, to go around rob people in this game.

I rob people because i find it fun, and evil.

Thats one way to see it.

Roleplaying is acting. It's the exact same thing.

For me,

Roleplaying is the fact of "playing a role"

This is a game, you do not play something you actually do in real life, like Papa said. He don't rob people in real life (I hope).

Roleplaying grant you the right of playing the role you want. Bandit, hero, etc.

This is a ingame roleplaying, means that you only need to do it in game and not in real life.

If you actually role play a Somalian pirate, you can do it, I don't see any problem but do not forget this rule :

1. Use common sense at all times.

"Treat other players the way you would like to be treated."

We must not forget that this is a game, we still need manners and stay polite.

I never had any trouble with SDS, I respect all of them, they are good persons and I would love to encouter them more often.

I'm just saying that there is no problem playing a role as long as it stay civilized.

• Emerald

Take on the role of the character you are playing. If you have a backstory and a decided mindset for your character obviously it's easier. You act accordingly to what he would and don't do something irrational/illogical that is often seen around here.

• MVP

To give you an idea about S.D.S, here is a quote from our clan page backstory: "For those long 8 years in prison, we will wreak havoc and chaos across this wretched country."

We aren't organised crime. We rob people because we enjoy seeing Chernarus burn, and simply because we can.

Edit: Reworded to better reflect my point

To give you an idea about S.D.S, here is a quote from our clan page backstory: "For those long 8 years in prison, we will wreak havoc and chaos across this wretched country."

We aren't organised crime, our characters don't steal for any sort of personal gain or for any purpose at all, other that simply because they can.

So they're more anarchists than anything, eh?

• MVP

So they're more anarchists than anything, eh?

In a way I suppose. The back story explained how we developed our hatred for Chernarus. So it could be seen a mixture of that, and vengeance. We enjoy seeing Chernarus in turmoil, robbing its citizens is fun.

Not to speak for everyone else in SDS/ZC ofc, I'm sure our motives differ slightly from person to person, but that is how it is for my character. He'd rob someone regardless of their gear, or whether he actually needed the loot or not.

Edit: Reworded

Role-playing also means you should remain open-minded when it comes to interacting with other players.

There's no point role-playing if you aren't willing to slow down, take a moment to actually converse in-character, and actually do more than make someone comply to a 5 second rule to drop their gear.

I understand bandits want to be in and out before danger can arrive to stop them, but that same mentality is what causes a lot of the problems - such as reports, or being blamed for not RPing.

My suggestion, take it as you will, is to begin experimenting. Slow down the robberies, talk to other characters more in an in-character sense, and try to give them the opportunity to RP their way out of death or losing specific gear situation - then see if that helps resolve some of the issues you're facing.

Role-playing also means you should remain open-minded when it comes to interacting with other players.

There's no point role-playing if you aren't willing to slow down, take a moment to actually converse in-character, and actually do more than make someone comply to a 5 second rule to drop their gear.

I understand bandits want to be in and out before danger can arrive to stop them, but that same mentality is what causes a lot of the problems - such as reports, or being blamed for not RPing.

My suggestion, take it as you will, is to begin experimenting. Slow down the robberies, talk to other characters more in an in-character sense, and try to give them the opportunity to RP their way out of death or losing specific gear situation - then see if that helps resolve some of the issues you're facing.

Duly noted Reacher, however when we do try to RP, as with FM the otehr day and SRF a day or two before that we get ambushed shot and killed. When we retaliate in RP by shooting a hostage as a true Bandit/Pirate would so that those doing the rescuing will know next time we mean what we say we get reports. Its a no win situation, if we didnt kill our "hostages from time to time" becuase of their actions ie.. calling for help then then no one would ever take our demands seriously. Then we face report after report, we RP'd, yes the hostages sometime die hence the term bandit/pirate, if we we nice guys about it and just move a person from one place to another with no harm ever being done then we would be taxi drivers

I guess it's up to you guys as to how you find that balance.

All I'm saying is that, from what I see/read, bandits are coming in two flavors:

1. They rob you, and take all your stuff, before shooting you afterward for various reasons undefined.

2. They initiate, force the comply, and shoot you before looting your corpse.

From the reports I've seen, the complaint is that there's no middle ground. No chance to RP out of the situation, no chance to talk the bandits into leaving your gear alone for a favor, or something, etc.

That's all I'm saying. From what I've seen - it might not be the case - it seems like one way or the other, with minimal RPing in between. Maybe start playing around with it, and start getting a reputation as also being merciful [which could result in other groups being less initially hostile on contact - especially if they feel there's a chance the bandits won't just shoot them outright or take all their gear in two sentences].

As I said, just a suggestion.

more or less this.

i think thats the difference between acting and roleplaying. any actor can act alone, but it takes interaction to effectively roleplay.

i find too many players are too caught up in their own character and what they have to gain from any given situation to actually engage the other party in full RP.

• MVP

The problem is that no one ever write about the good RP we doing from time to time.

People only see the reports.

Yesterday we did a full RP execution.

Yesterday we kidnapped a guy, without ever killing him.

The other day we had a guy "walk the board" like true pirates, (Not that somalian boat pirates use to du that nowadays, but anyway)

The guy we kidnapped yesterday and didn't kill asked if you should do a report in shoutbox.

I mean, wtf?

Alots of this is just bullshit, people heard things about us, and follow the stream.

Most of them have probably never even meet us.

Im saying, we aren´t super good at RP, but we´re learning and I say we improve everyday :)

No chance to RP out of the situation, no chance to talk the bandits into leaving your gear alone for a favor, or something, etc.

That's all I'm saying. From what I've seen - it might not be the case - it seems like one way or the other, with minimal RPing in between. Maybe start playing around with it, and start getting a reputation as also being merciful [which could result in other groups being less initially hostile on contact - especially if they feel there's a chance the bandits won't just shoot them outright or take all their gear in two sentences].

Well there is a small problem with that, a few days ago we let a guy keep his pityfull winchester or something when we turn our backs on them, but as soon as we do that people forget about their own RP and start shooting instead(simply because they're allowed to), we NEED to take weapons and equipment for our own safety.

We dont aim to kill everyone we meet, im sure you all know that...its the big clan fights we want! hehe.

We really enjoy our little hostage takings and RP events when people actually play along!

The other day we took a slave and sold him for a 1911 in the trade post for example ^^ he then took off with an M249 SAW he somehow stole from us though, fair play man ;)

• MVP

No chance to RP out of the situation, no chance to talk the bandits into leaving your gear alone for a favor, or something, etc.

Well there is a small problem with that, a few days ago we let a guy keep his pityfull winchester or something when we turn our backs on them, but as soon as we do that people forget about their own RP and start shooting instead(simply because they're allowed to), we NEED to take weapons and equipment for our own safety.

We dont aim to kill everyone we meet, im sure you all know that...its the big clan fights we want! hehe.

We really enjoy our little hostage takings and RP events when people actually play along!

The other day we took a slave and sold him for a 1911 in the trade post for example ^^ he then took off with an M249 SAW he somehow stole from us though, fair play man ;)

I like that you guys are taking slaves and promoting that darker side of roleplay in our circumstances.

If anything, I would just add a little bit more into how you get people to stop.

"Stop, we want your stuff", is dull. It is true but why not go into a little bit more depth where possible?

"Stop, friend. We need help please!" Work through a ruse and then turn on them where you can.

• MVP

SumoS - We tried that, but people simply know who we are.

Also, yesterday while we had a hostage inside Solnichy, another survivor came and we told him to get inside the factory, while he walked in ans saw or other hostage he said "Well fuck you guys" and started to run.

• Emerald

Some people simply don't know how to roleplay. And roleplay doesn't mean god play.

My last experience with ZC and SDS with the whole hostage situation was near perfect.

I just acted the way I should. They aimed guns at me, I comply. I don't play a soldier, and I don't really want to be the killer here.

So even though I play a game here, I should not act fearless. This is what a lot of people forget. You know there is no real risk, but act as if your life is at stake. Don't go Rambo and act as a brainless soldier who knows no fear.

How about you avoid problems?

I sometimes see people acting all cool around zombies, while in reality you would run your ass off and try to get away, not circle strafe around qwith a zombie on your ass as if you try to avoid a fly in your face.

I guess if everyone just acts a little better, you don't have to have these problems.

As for SDS and other bandit clans. Keep recording any confrontation. You probably get a lot of false reports, and people who just want to troll you back for robbing them.

The false report punishment is next to nothing, and somethime snot even a warning will be given.

So it's a free shot to troll you over in game items or death

All the admins see is logs, and words against words.

If you keep recording you always have evidence ready.

• MVP

SumoS - We tried that, but people simply know who we are.

Also, yesterday while we had a hostage inside Solnichy, another survivor came and we told him to get inside the factory, while he walked in ans saw or other hostage he said "Well fuck you guys" and started to run.

Aye, you run the risk of that sadly being so well known.

Osaka is spot on. With recordings you guys protect yourself and they do show you in a positive light.

Also, maybe link some videos of the good role-playing you do outside of the report videos. If people are falsely accusing you, then I would love to see videos proving them wrong. Show that you do role-play effectively.

I have seen some awesome images and only think good things... except when pooing my pants when I see you guys...

• Legend

It is not an easy thing to say, Role playing is by definition "the changing of one's behavior to fulfill a social role". In terms of a game server this is further complicated, in real lie you would change your behavior to suit the situation such as a work environment. In this server you get the option to tailor who you role-play.

To make it easier on myself to keep in character I modeled many of my characters characteristic on myself such as place of birth and general attitude. From here I added what I would never think of doing in real life such as being a general bandit depending on the situation (not a killer generally and not a douche) and trying my best to conform to this.

It is difficult to say one is not role-playing by displaying certain characteristics, how can another person know that such characteristics aren't the characters? You can only really say OOC if someone starts referring to external (non - game) things.