Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 18:04

Thoughts about the whitelist queue

Moskis

I want to start off by saying that this thread is not about whining. This thread is merely about my thoughts and I would also like clarification on some things.

My first application was rejected, and I am waiting for my second one. Almost a week has passed since my last one was submitted and I have been number 4-7 since day one. What I do not understand is how I can drop down to 4, then up to 5, down to 4, up to 6, 4, 5, 7, 5, 7 all the time. I understand donators have priority and I respect that so much. But say there are three people. Me, "Mr. Donator" and "SAP" (Super Active Person).

Myself, I have been a bit active on the forums, tried my best to get a good picture of what the community looks like etc. Mr. Donator is just like me. The difference is that he has donated. SAP is the rookie newcomer who contributes to the forums and gives everybody a good laugh every day.

If I am #4 in queue, Mr. Donator is #5 and SAP is #6, what is pushing me up? Say you take donators over non-donators. Fine, #5 is filled by #6. Now let's say I am all the way down on #1, and SAP is #2 and Mr. Donator has already gotten reviewed. If you choose to review SAP over me, because he is the Übermensch (not being a Nazi or anything, just didn't find a better word for it!!) I would also understand this. But this would still let me be in #1 and just have to wait a bit longer. I still don't see what's pushing me down the ladder?

EDIT: The way I am thinking this would work is having two separate "groups" within the queue; one for donators and one for non-donators. If you feel like reviewing donators, you just take from the donator group.

If the system worked like I just explained it, you would have a more precise queue and it would be (in my opinion) so much better.

What is your take on this?

Side note: I am still not complaining I am just trying to understand! I will happily wait to be reviewed and I feel that the wait is worth it.

• Emerald

You leave the point of staff that needs to look at the apps, out.

Staff have a life besides the dayzrp community as well. They atually like to play the servers as well in their free time.

However some days, there are 300 applications comming in. Well, at least it was this number 2-3 weeks ago. I can imagine that the amount of whitelist applications has dropped a bit now.

However there is more that gets your application looked at earlier:

(taken from FAQ)

Q: How long does it take to have my whitelist reviewed?

A: It is hard to say because it is determined by many factors as your forum rank, your forum activity, admin activity, length of the current queue and of course quality of your application. Depending on those waiting times can range between a few hours and multiple days.

Q: If I donate, will I have a better chance of getting accepted?

A: No, as a donor you are allowed to apply and get priority in the queue, but your application still has to meet all requirements and you have to answer all questions correctly just like non-donors. Donating does NOT guarantee being whitelisted nor does it whitelist you automatically.

Just be patient. It's a nice virtue. And trust me. The waiting is worth it.

You leave the point of staff that needs to look at the apps, out.

Staff have a life besides the dayzrp community as well. They atually like to play the servers as well in their free time.

However some days, there are 300 applications comming in. Well, at least it was this number 2-3 weeks ago. I can imagine that the amount of whitelist applications has dropped a bit now.

However there is more that gets your application looked at earlier:

(taken from FAQ)

Q: How long does it take to have my whitelist reviewed?

A: It is hard to say because it is determined by many factors as your forum rank, your forum activity, admin activity, length of the current queue and of course quality of your application. Depending on those waiting times can range between a few hours and multiple days.

A: No, as a donor you are allowed to apply and get priority in the queue, but your application still has to meet all requirements and you have to answer all questions correctly just like non-donors. Donating does NOT guarantee being whitelisted nor does it whitelist you automatically.

Just be patient. It's a nice virtue. And trust me. The waiting is worth it.

You're not saying anything that contributes to this thread right now. I never asked staff to read faster. I know what the FAQ says and I included it in my thread. I am asking about the jumping queue spots. Please re-read it!

• Emerald

Well, reread the FAQ:

What is making you jump down from 5th to 4th? Staff reviewed application number 1

What makes you jump back from 4th to 5th? A better applicaiton then yours has been created.

EDIT: also having two queus would not be a better option. Having a queu for donators and non-donators.... People donate to get reviewed faster....

Well, reread the FAQ:

What is making you jump down from 5th to 4th? Staff reviewed application number 1

What makes you jump back from 4th to 5th? A better applicaiton then yours has been created.

Now we're getting somewhere! The message I want interpreted is that the queue jumping is not giving a proper picture of what it looks like, and could be fixed by my explanation. My first application was way worse than my new one (less characters etc.) I do not know how many applications there were before though.

• Emerald

The application queu dos not work like: submit first get reviewed first...

It's the quality, forum rank, forum activity, staff activity, age, length of application etc that makes you get a place in the queu.

So if you are submitting a far longer application, with way more words, you will be placed higher up in the queu then the others. And I actualyl like this way. Poeple who put more effort into their applications, show to be more dedicated to join the community, and should thus be reviewed first.

The application queu dos not work like: submit first get reviewed first...

It's the quality, forum rank, forum activity, staff activity, age, length of application etc that makes you get a place in the queu.

So if you are submitting a far longer application, with way more words, you will be placed higher up in the queu then the others. And I actualyl like this way. Poeple who put more effort into their applications, show to be more dedicated to join the community, and should thus be reviewed first.

I understand that it does not work like that, that is why this thread was created. It could be more consistent this way. And I am not saying that it should be changed on that part. Please read the explanation I gave with myself, "Mr. Donator" and "SAP". SAP would still get reviewed before me, but my queue number would remain the same.

EDIT: I never said have two queues. I said have two groups within the queue. Donators and active people have priority, just the queue numbers remain the same.

• Emerald

Ok, you almost lost me here.

So lets be clear:

#1 = You

#2 = SAP

Let's say SAP get's reviewed before you, which is technical not possible because he is on #2.

But let's say he is being reviewed. You are still on #1

#1 = You

#2 = X

#3 = Y

At this point, person Z decides to create a new application. He makes the best application ever. Way better then yours. this is now the queu:

#1 = Z

#2 = You

#3 = X

#4 = Y

And that is why you are still moved down the ladder.

Ok, you almost lost me here.

So lets be clear:

#1 = You

#2 = SAP

Let's say SAP get's reviewed before you, which is technical not possible because he is on #2.

But let's say he is being reviewed. You are still on #1

#1 = You

#2 = X

#3 = Y

At this point, person Z decides to create a new application. He makes the best application ever. Way better then yours. this is now the queu:

#1 = Z

#2 = You

#3 = X

#4 = Y

And that is why you are still moved down the ladder.

I understand this is how it PROBABLY works.

My fix would be more like

#1 = Me

#2 = X

#3 = Y

#4 = Z

Z gets reviewed, I still remain #1.

Since my latest application had more than twice the required characters, I doubt there are 200 applicants EVERY DAY that outshine me.

If a lot of donators get reviewed one day (say 100), all the non-donors could get a message on their whitelist saying something like "At the moment, there are a lot of applicants. Please be patient with us!".

Working with service has taught me that consistency and keeping the customer informed at all times whatever happens is the key to a good community and huge respect.

ALSO!

If I am #1 and Z has the best application ever and gets placed #4, he would also get a "secret" queue number (#1), than no one else can see but the staff.

• Emerald

Why would #4 be randomly be reviewed in your fix? How does that make sense?

#1 is the one that should be reviewed first, unless someone really outmatches your application.

Another thing is, donators dont get instatnly dropped into the top 10 of the queu.

Let me explain:

#121 = Non donator with poor application

He decides to donate. Donating = getting a better place in the queu. If I'm not mistaken the donator moves up 30 places in queu. (I can be wrong with this, not 100% sure).

Thing is:

#1 = You

#21 = non donator with fairly good application that decides to donate. He moves up 30 places.

#1 = Non donator that donated.

#2 = you

Since my latest application had more than twice the required characters, I doubt there are 200 applicants EVERY DAY that outshine me.

No, but you are leaving out the ADMIN ACTIVITY. Maybe the admins (currently 4 who review the applciations) have not reviewed any applications today?

Why would #4 be randomly be reviewed in your fix? How does that make sense?

#1 is the one that should be reviewed first, unless someone really outmatches your application.

Another thing is, donators dont get instatnly dropped into the top 10 of the queu.

Let me explain:

#121 = Non donator with poor application

He decides to donate. Donating = getting a better place in the queu. If I'm not mistaken the donator moves up 30 places in queu. (I can be wrong with this, not 100% sure).

Thing is:

#1 = You

#21 = non donator with fairly good application that decides to donate. He moves up 30 places.

#1 = Non donator that donated.

#2 = you

No, but you are leaving out the ADMIN ACTIVITY. Maybe the admins (currently 4 who review the applciations) have not reviewed any applications today?

From what I have heard, ONLY donators get reviewed sometimes. The sense that you do not understand is what I said about the "secret queue number". As I said, consistency and keeping the customer informed is key.

Admin activity could be it. But hundreds of applications are taken out daily.

• Emerald

That's where the FAQ comes in: http://www.dayzrp.com/faq

Basically, all your questions and all these posts above explain just the same things that are lined up here:

Q: How will I know the result, where can I see my application status?

A: You can see your application status on the bottom of the whitelist page (where you applied). You WON'T be notified by a PM or email.

Q: Why do I keep getting moved back in the whitelist queue? For example I was 4/12, now I am 37/55?

A: It's because other people who have applied for whitelist have donated or written a longer/better application than you or are more active. The whitelist system is not first-come, first-served basis, we handle quality applications and donors first. Even though it will take longer, your application will eventually get reviewed.

So I'm still not sure what you are on about...

That you are not getting reviewed besides the fact that you are still on #1? The fact that you are getting pushed back a bit in the queu?

That's where the FAQ comes in: http://www.dayzrp.com/faq

Basically, all your questions and all these posts above explain just the same things that are lined up here:

Q: How will I know the result, where can I see my application status?

A: You can see your application status on the bottom of the whitelist page (where you applied). You WON'T be notified by a PM or email.

Q: Why do I keep getting moved back in the whitelist queue? For example I was 4/12, now I am 37/55?

A: It's because other people who have applied for whitelist have donated or written a longer/better application than you or are more active. The whitelist system is not first-come, first-served basis, we handle quality applications and donors first. Even though it will take longer, your application will eventually get reviewed.

So I'm still not sure what you are on about...

That you are not getting reviewed besides the fact that you are still on #1? The fact that you are getting pushed back a bit in the queu?

Please... just... PLEASE.

Consistency and informing the customer.

I am saying that maybe it is time for an improvement. My thread is simply put about me trying to understand the current (faulty) concept and giving ideas.

The fact that you are trying to lecture me makes no sense as it has nothing to do with what I am saying. I am simply trying to get other people's opinions and not have the FAQ pasted here every other post.

• Emerald

But...But... But....

I give up....

Please someone, tell me I did my best?

There is defenatelly consitency, as I just explained.

The customer is informed, as there is the FAQ.

The system is just not the system you wanted or think it would be.

It's a total different system.

Again, be patient, you will eventually be reviewed and it is defenatelly worth your time.

At the same time, you have to understand that the people reviewing these whitelist apps are (personal speculation) taking more time because of the influx of new "bad" members to the community. Have that be bad RPing, cheating, lack of knowledge of the rules, etc. I would say because of this they are taking more time to look over the whitelist apps more scrutinizingly. Also, if you require a message that states, "At the moment, there are a lot of applicants. Please be patient with us!" then I think there are bigger, more personal issues at hand.....All in all, I say leave it to the top guys/girls to do their job and stop providing your "better" alternate.

But...But... But....

I give up....

Please someone, tell me I did my best?

There is defenatelly consitency, as I just explained.

The customer is informed, as there is the FAQ.

The system is just not the system you wanted or think it would be.

It's a total different system.

Again, be patient, you will eventually be reviewed and it is defenatelly worth your time.

You did fine, explained it as good as anyone. Just, look at my response to him. I've read this whole thread and that is where my thoughts can be found xD

Let me just clarify that I am not trying to raise any bad vibes here!

At the same time, you have to understand that the people reviewing these whitelist apps are (personal speculation) taking more time because of the influx of new "bad" members to the community. Have that be bad RPing, cheating, lack of knowledge of the rules, etc. I would say because of this they are taking more time to look over the whitelist apps more scrutinizingly. Also, if you require a message that states, "At the moment, there are a lot of applicants. Please be patient with us!" then I think there are bigger, more personal issues at hand.....All in all, I say leave it to the top guys/girls to do their job and stop providing your "better" alternate.

Again, I am not saying the queues should be faster in any way. I am not saying that admins should take more time to read apps, I am not complaining on the work that the reviewers do.

What I am saying, once and for all IS:

From my own experiences, people LOVE consistency. Having your queue number jump up and down will just have people, trolls, minges you name it, create threads on the forums asking about the applications. If your queue number remained the same and there actually are a lot of applications to go through, there could be a huge fat sign saying "THERE ARE A LOT OF APPS NOW". This would silence every question unless someone is too lazy to read this huge fat sign AMONG OTHER PROS! Of course, some people will not read the FAQ and see the reason why they went from queue number 4 to queue number 50 right now either, but that would be totally eliminated.

Now, all the bad apps would still be reviewed at a slower pace, while the good ones are reviewed faster. Donators still have priority. Everything remains the same on that part.

• Emerald

I don't see how to the "good apps and the donator apps" would still be reviewed faster in your system?

I don't see how to the "good apps and the donator apps" would still be reviewed faster in your system?

I never said they would be reviewed faster... Everything remains the same. The only difference is your number in the queue is always the same...

Brb sleep, getting up in 7 hours to work!

So you're saying that the creation of this thread is to provide a revolutionary idea which is a sign that reads "THERE ARE A LOT OF APPS NOW". Honestly, that would solve nothing. People would still make threads complaining. It would be a waste of time to create. On to the next one.. Queue numbers changing is explained, has been explained, and will have to be explained many times again in the future. It doesn't matter if you put a big blinking alert pop-up, people will still ask about it. making two queues, as said before, wouldn't solve anything. Like Vandy said, people donate to get reviewed faster. If you make two queues, you remove that incentive. All in all, the concern behind this thread was noble but, like communism, it just won't work. The proposed fixes won't reach the expected results. Also, I'm sure that the top guys/girls of this community have considered fixes. I'll stay putting my trust in them as the system seems fine.

So you're saying that the creation of this thread is to provide a revolutionary idea which is a sign that reads "THERE ARE A LOT OF APPS NOW". Honestly, that would solve nothing. People would still make threads complaining. It would be a waste of time to create. On to the next one.. Queue numbers changing is explained, has been explained, and will have to be explained many times again in the future. It doesn't matter if you put a big blinking alert pop-up, people will still ask about it. making two queues, as said before, wouldn't solve anything. Like Vandy said, people donate to get reviewed faster. If you make two queues, you remove that incentive. All in all, the concern behind this thread was noble but, like communism, it just won't work. The proposed fixes won't reach the expected results. Also, I'm sure that the top guys/girls of this community have considered fixes. I'll stay putting my trust in them as the system seems fine.

Again, I have been through this and I never said there should be two queues. I said two groups within the same queue. I feel like you two are not reading what I am writing.

With two groups in the SAME queue, you would still be able to hold your place in the queue but others would just jump ahead and get reviewed instantly. Just like a subtraction from the queue. (Pick one, review, remove from queue)

• Emerald

Now, all the bad apps would still be reviewed at a slower pace, while the good ones are reviewed faster. Donators still have priority. Everything remains the same on that part.

I never said they would be reviewed faster... Everything remains the same. The only difference is your number in the queue is always the same...

This is why you confuse people like me....

With two groups in the SAME queue, you would still be able to hold your place in the queue but others would just jump ahead and get reviewed instantly. Just like a subtraction from the queue. (Pick one, review, remove from queue)

This thing you are explaining is just the same system being used right now... Just it does change you queu number. Because you queu number actualyl change! Because you get accepted earlier....... You are contradicting yourself a bit...

Guest Doug Quade

Just be patient. That is what it all boils down to. This is not a place of insta-reward. Patience is a virtue. This is a community that is worth the wait. It is also a investment of the staff to make sure that we are the right fit for you as a player, and vice versa. I would also recommend using the search function for the forums as there are alot of posts almost identical to this one over time. It will help clarify things and any questions that you might have.

• El Presidente

I'm so confused by this thread :D

Vandy pretty much got it how I designed the system. It takes many things about your account and then determines a queue number. That number is constantly changing as applications are being reviewed and new applications are being submitted. It gives you an estimated number of people in front of you, if admins were to handle apps in a pre-determined order at that time. Those who qualify for priority queue get the top spots in front of everyone else, this includes donors and non-donor accounts who meet certain secret criteria set by me. Hope that answers some of your questions, although I'm not sure what these were to begin with ;)

• Emerald

-snip-

Thank you almighty Rolle... It seems I was not the only one being confused!

• Titanium

/moved to Questions