Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 17:36

Need Advice: Graphics Card

SatansNightOut

• MVP

Before I get into this I just wanna say a few things:

-ANYTHING is an upgrade from what I have. Trust me.

- Not sure if this should go in Questions, or Off-topic... xD

- Yes, I know my computer is crap! Laugh it up, and then help me figure out how to make it less crappy. :)

- I don't know very much about hardware.

- I'm NOT looking for anything special. I'm NOT looking to record, or max out my graphics or anything too extreme. I just want slightly better graphics, and some better frames-per-second on my crappy little potato.

- I DO NOT have lots of money to spend. ~$100 or so. Yes, even I winced at the budget.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've been trying to play on this (laugh it up) crappy computer, but it was a FREE crappy computer, so I can't complain too terribly much.

I wish I had more to spend, but I don't (We've already spent hundreds of dollars on new smartphones, a new cat, hospital bills, etc., etc.)

I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121710

But...

Does anyone with a keener eye for computer hardware have any opinion or advice regarding this? I'd whole-heartedly appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks!

• Emerald

Well considering DayZ mainly uses your CPU I suggest upgrading your CPU instead of the GPU.

• MVP

Well considering DayZ mainly uses your CPU I suggest upgrading your CPU instead of the GPU.

Well, not just for DayZ. Most of the time when I check games via SystemRequirementsLab, it's only my graphics card that doesn't pass....

• Sapphire

Have you thought about waiting and saving up and building a budget pc? http://pcpartpicker.com/builds

• MVP

Have you thought about waiting and saving up and building a budget pc? http://pcpartpicker.com/builds

Saving up?

Is that English? :P

• Emerald

I thought it uses your CPU at low level graphic settings, and starts to use your GPU at higher level graphics settings...?

Yah your right, low forces the CPU to render

• Emerald

Well from what I've read a better CPU makes a huge difference when playing at low-medium settings. Also when buying a GPU you have to make sure your CPU/Motherboard can keep up with the GPU itself. So before buying any parts make sure they're compatible.

• MVP

I was reading a forum thread on some PC website and this guy had the same exact PC I have and he was asking about the card I linked in the original post. Seems he was pretty satisfied with it by the end of the thread.

Another thing to note, the GPU you're buying is running PCI-Express 3.0, the Dell 4GJJT (You're motherboard) if I'm correct is running PCI-Express 2.0, it will still run, but if you ever decide to buy another motherboard the GPU will run faster if that board has 3.0. But you should be good to get that.

~Vincent

• MVP

Another thing to note, the GPU you're buying is running PCI-Express 3.0, the Dell 4GJJT (You're motherboard) if I'm correct is running PCI-Express 2.0, it will still run, but if you ever decide to buy another motherboard the GPU will run faster if that board has 3.0. But you should be good to get that.

~Vincent

Good point. Alright, well thank you and everyone else who gave replied. Appreciate it! <3

Dayz uses much more CPU power than GPU. So I advice you to get better cpu first. Because all new games requires atleast x4 cores processors. And AMD provides us with cheap stuff. To be honest I'm currently at intel dual core pc(E6600 cpu) so I totally understand how dayz run crappy on these pc's. If you plan on building new stuff by yourself deffo look for cpu first. And motherboard as well so you can support newer products. Also dunno where you live, but I'm sure you can find cheap AMD pc's sets. Some low end gaming setup for start than build on. I gonna get some cheap AMD low end gaming pc at the end of the month cuz thats far I can go with my money atm :))

Example: http://pcpractic.rs/proizvodi/racunari-bez-os/43930-altos-altos-geko-fm2amd-athlon-ii-x44gb500gbr7-240dvdrw nothing killer but its very cheap. Around 277 euros where I live. If you build by yourself you can go even cheaper for newer series of processor and graphic card. Like X4 Quad-Core 860K, 3.70GHz and lets say radeon r7 250x or 260x. Very cheap for low end gaming stuff. But all in all deffo go for CPU first. Some 4 core stuff.

Erm IDk prices in your area.

I know some things about Bohemia games and building a PC though.

1) A graphics card WILL boost your performance. Integrated graphics means running the CPU for more tasks

2) A CPU upgrade WILL boost your performance. I recommend an Intel CPU if you can afford it - AMD is better for general gaming, but if we're talking DayZ they just run much nicer on Intel.

3) I think both of these items MAY be out of your budget, but again IDK the prices in your area/country.

4) You'll want to crank the graphics as much as you can with a new GPU as this moves the processing from the cpu to the GPU - easiest way to do this is pump up the shadows.

5) http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ is the place to start to ask questions.

Good luck my man!

• MVP

I'll take this all into consideration.

Thanks guys! :)

My specs,

G41 mobo (cheapy cheap cheap)

q6600 cpu, (ooooold)

R9 270x gpu (was about £180 when I got it early last year but now I see them for about £100

8 gb ram (ddr3)

125 gb ssd as a system drive. (This makes a fairly significant improvement to performance)

Corsair 750w psu (keep your power use in mind as bigger gpus will cause problems with regular 4/500w psus that come with regular media/workstation pcs)

Runs dayz ok on decent settings but down to 8 fps in big towns, so I avoid the big towns of if I go there turn everything right down.

Plus it records if I want.

Keep an eye out on ebay for local second hand gaming computers or bundles, bargains to be had there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MVP

Just have to express my sheer happiness after receiving my new hardware today:

1024x575.resizedimage

(not sure why this image looks crappier than it should, but w/e)

I literally was playing 640x480 with EVERYTHING set on low just to run smooth.

Now?

I HAS SHADOWS AND CLOUDS AND AND AND..

Anyway, super excited. <3 Just had to express that with whoever dares read.

• Sapphire

1024x575.resizedimage

Now?

What did you get?

• MVP

-snip-

Now?

What did you get?

GeForce GTX650... just the 1gig, but ANYTHING is infinitely better than the onboard chipset. >_>