Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 16:30

Tamaster's Random Thread of making a game

Mikachu

• MVP

So basically I'm making a little game in Unreal Engine 4 to try and learn more about how it works and functions.

So far I've messed around with a vehicle demo and a FPS demo but settled on making a twin stick shooter. The blueprint stuff in UE4 is so powerful at the moment and at any time I can switch to the code itself. Is fantastic.

I'll try and keep this updated with pics and gifs and stuff since I figured it might be fun to document making a dumb little game :redpanda:

For now I just worked on controls and the projectile but got both to a good level, need to implement 360 shooting + moving instead of 4-Way though. Make it work with a controller :D

3aeaafdd45.gif

• Sapphire

Sweet. Can't wait to see what you're going to make. :D

• MVP

Worked a little more on this today (and still am)

I got the projectile using it's own material which is more emmisive now, accidentally broke the colour but have fixed it since this build. I also got 8-Way movement working and controller support. You can now play with either WASD+arrows or a controller with analogue sticks. A little later into development I will swap the controller over to full 360 degree movement and shooting but this works for now.

You can download the very first SUPER early alpha version here - Please note it's completely subject to change etc and all rights reserved and so forth.

I also codenamed the game Aphex. Might end up being the end name but who knows :)

• Emerald

Goals:

;)

Stuff like that is actually extremely simple :P

It has zero functionality and almost no processing what-so-ever. The only hard part is the models/textures which are pretty easy to find online.

UE4 is very powerful and extremely simple to pick up... Even people with zero knowledge in game development can make a pretty basic game with little effort :)

Goals:

;)

Stuff like that is actually extremely simple :P

It has zero functionality and almost no processing what-so-ever. The only hard part is the models/textures which are pretty easy to find online.

UE4 is very powerful and extremely simple to pick up... Even people with zero knowledge in game development can make a pretty basic game with little effort :)

I thought as much. Once you've loaded in all the elements for it, your pretty much done (after in-game post process effects or whatever). You might hear the phrase "I'm no dev, but-" bantered around a lot, but that's what I said on first sight of that video (along with the PT demo that came out). I'm not dev but that doesn't look too hard :P

• MVP

Got the colour fixed, a new firing sound which actually fits a plasma/laser weapon and am working on a new player model

205ce43818.jpg

Dunno if I will keep it or retexture it more or what but it should work nicely for now.

• MVP

Updated to V0.02

Colour for projectile is fixed, Character is replaced with new model, add two destructible cubes for testing of different destruction methods.

Current major bug - projectiles are broke as fuck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1il56gndwlx65e/Aphex%20Alpha.7z?dl=0

• MVP

Got walls working as destructible (will be a key part of the game)

They work and look real nice but have a few frame issues atm, so will be dropping the amount of pieces they break into.

Gunna prototype out a level and hopefully have a actual playable, finishable level tomorrow :)

85a19a4d82.gif

• MVP

So is it gonna be a bullet-hell with defined patterns and such ?

Nah.. its more a top down shooter. I'm in the process of changing the controls significantly and just got a basic enemy going as well so :)

Was originally a twin stick shooter (like geometry wars) but now its more like... a top down third person shooter? It's hard to describe.

Will have another demo update this weekend

• MVP

Game is undergoing significant reworking, hopefully have a new demo at end of weekend.

Core idea and game is same but it's changed hugely too. Will see soon :D

• MVP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m1wmxrxbguu83a/AphexAlpha.7z?dl=0

SUPER EARLY ALPHA V3

So yeah, as I said. Significantly changed.

So far I have basic (very basic) menu functionality, sprint added, perspective changed.

Will be working on this all week and hopefully have another build next weekend or earlier

• MVP

New alpha!

https://db.tt/0NTmvLaY

Please try it out and report any bugs, big changes afoot!

Now first person perspective, has a main menu (not finished), new weapon, new sound and visual effects, new destructible parts...

Please play!

• MVP

Really coming along! Got some new anims and a new weapon (is detached from player now so can be swapped out). New visual effects and such.

Heres a awesome gif of it (almost 100mb gif, warning)

d49f843f37.gif

My buddies from school are actually really close to finishing a game in Unreal 4, its a horror game and for a few 17/18 year olds its pretty surpising how well they did. Awesome program to use man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • MVP

Been a while :D

I was waiting for UE4 4.7 to release and now it has I have some new content imported and being worked on as well as lighting tests for the plasma launcher

Warning large but sexy gif

• Emerald

Been a while :D

I was waiting for UE4 4.7 to release and now it has I have some new content imported and being worked on as well as lighting tests for the plasma launcher

Warning large but sexy gif

No image tags in the spoiler btw, looks really good! I would download and test it out now if I wasn't on my phone..

• MVP

Pre-Alpha V0.06

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85lomf2x5cxi7vu/aphexalphav0.06.7z?dl=0

New anims, new models, new gun, enemy with VERY simple AI added, wall fixed so it doesn't fall over, glass edited + more

• Sapphire

I'm having trouble unzip-ing the zip file for the game. When I try to I get errors and none of the files actually unzip except for the folders and the UE4 related .exe's. I tried it with another program and got every file but then they seemed to be blank. Used winrar first then 7zip.

hlep? I wanted to try your stuff out before testing UE4 for myself.