Server time (UTC): 2022-10-07 02:41

Urban-surviving

What do you think about it?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After running around the whole time and crossing every part of the map i thought about looking for a place to stay and so i came to the idea to stay near/ in a city. The good fact is that you can easily find supplies and you have something like a terittory... a place you know every corner and you can overview. And so iam getting more into urban surviving.

But now the thing is some people mean IC´ly you should avoid citys cause they are dangerous and full of infected but on the other hand, you find much more supplies there then in villages...

What do you guys think, is Urban-surviving, like being in a group, overwiewing the town and having a setllement a thing or should survivor stay mostly away from big towns ?

I mean Chernarus is probably more a rural region

• Emerald

There are many groups who already live in a certain town.

As you said, not really into the cities because of the infected, but in smaller towns.

I have seen the best rp with these small communities inside towns. Great civilian rp, which I really like.

Now, I'm pretty sure some people will say: "hey we got a great civilian community at green mountain!" Well I assure you, that rp within towns, with real civilian rp, it is in my opinion, the best rp around here.

I found that rather than running across the entire map, sticking to a much more local region is an incredible way to start realistically portraying a survivors roll in the aftermath of an infection.

Realistically, if you dont have all four region maps, your character probably wouldn't know every city and where each well is located and all the major hot spots are for weapons and items. This was info you garnered when playing in standard servers and through a map probably at Dayz database, not info your character now knows. But that isn't to say that you can't RP some of that info in to your character, like your character visiting other cities for business, vacation, etc. So knowing and heading across the map to certain cities is feasible, heading to every city and straight to the wells and any high yield weapon stashes is entirely unrealistic.

What I do is head between a few closely located smaller villages, with one having my home, one having my work, and one to go for fun or to learn different areas or because it makes a convenient triangle(not the vybor one...). By doing this, I learn where the water sources are, the location of medical/weapon/supplies buildings, where the animals roam for hunting, the best places to set fires for minimal visibility, and even how to use the advantages of the towns layouts when tracking down interlopers, like the forested hills that can let you see down the main roadway through the village, or which windows to look in to cover both doors and the stairs of buildings, etc. Then, when I need some proper city gear, I venture forth into a larger city in a super ghillie sneak style mode. Get my stuff that I have found out where to focus in game, and GTFO as soon as...

It also allows for more realistic RP than running just EVERYWHERE in the whole map. By doing this, I have started considering my actions when I know I am about to log out soon, like heading back to my bed, or having to set up a small camp (Who just lays down in a bush?). Or what I do when I log back in, ie, head to the restaurant for some grub to scrounge, and get some water to wash up my face/drink.

What do you guys think, is Urban-surviving, like being in a group, overwiewing the town and having a setllement a thing or should survivor stay mostly away from big towns ?

But now the thing is some people mean IC´ly you should avoid citys cause they are dangerous and full of infected but on the other hand, you find much more supplies there then in villages...

As for the infected issue you have described, that depends on the role of your character. Is he someone who would put himself at risk because he has the training and take out the infected so others don't get hurt by them, would you sneak around them and not care, or take it to an extreme and be terrified by them and would thusly RP a strict unwillingness to enter any large city...the options are myriad!

Developing a strict urban survival regiment would be loads of fun, especially if you start incorporating aspects of what this would entail, ie knowing the best buildings to watch the main thorough-ways into and out of the city, helping or hindering other survivors who enter the city by pointing out the buildings for gear they are looking for or taking the most sought after gear for trading, the best routes to sneak through the city undetected like a sewer rat, and the like.

Let us know what you decide, as I am interested in said decision.

Personally I like to keep myself out of big towns, mainly because I get way better FPS in fields and near lakes and it makes the game soo much better to play, just sit there and do some fishing while RPing. But sadly people tend to stay near towns so its not so possible. Also its waay easier to get food so there is no point fishing.

Personally I like to keep myself out of big towns, mainly because I get way better FPS in fields and near lakes and it makes the game soo much better to play,

Yeah, the fps is still a problem, i have like 10 fps inside the town, i tried Cherno and Elektro first but its even worse there, Novo is at least some frames better...

Thats probably a good point for running around fields/ forests

Guest Senna1337

Urban-Surviving is pretty much ICly an Bad Idea as the Town would be LITTERED with Zombies (see The Walking Dead).

If you do it realistically and live somewhere at the Outskirts of the City and frequently visit the Town then it would RPly make Sense to me. but i can also tell if alot of People try Urban Survival i can see Cities like Cherno, Elektro and Berezino become absolute Warzones again

• Emerald

For only a few survivors I would not recommend it IC, but to a larger group of say seven to ten strong...I would probably hop on board myself. It would be interesting to see how people go from building to building checking for the undead menace, and making sure they can carve out a safe place in a city.

It makes more sense to stick to a certain area, particularly since I usually play foreigners to the land and the character just wouldn't know his surroundings. It would be safer to set up where he knows rather than go out into the unknown.

Personally I like to keep myself out of big towns, mainly because I get way better FPS in fields and near lakes and it makes the game soo much better to play, just sit there and do some fishing while RPing. But sadly people tend to stay near towns so its not so possible. Also its waay easier to get food so there is no point fishing.

i am gonna find you and then we gonna have some nice rp plus fishing :3

But i agree, same here with the FPS sadly :(

If i had the proper tools in-game to barricade myself in one of the houses (you know, something that can't be broken with one hit of an axe), i would definitely live in the city outskirts.

Staying indoors barricaded during the day, and comming out during the night to scavenge for supplies.

Makes sense to me, and i probably would do the same irl if the same situation was at hand

Urban-Surviving is pretty much ICly an Bad Idea as the Town would be LITTERED with Zombies (see The Walking Dead).

If you do it realistically and live somewhere at the Outskirts of the City and frequently visit the Town then it would RPly make Sense to me. but i can also tell if alot of People try Urban Survival i can see Cities like Cherno, Elektro and Berezino become absolute Warzones again

That were the things that made me thinking but there are also so many survivors who are like " hey lets go into militairy areas" and in DayZ there are like 3 zeds per town but ICly its played like towns are full of them...

I also thought more about sneaking around, avoiding zombies and not running around like Rambo :)

Personally I think survivors should only search a big town if in desperate need for supplies. If there was a real zombie apocalypse then people would stick to small villages. Large cities would be dangerous and a real risk to get supplies from there.