Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 16:22

Text Voice Recognition

Deniecu

So when playing DayZRP, just having some regular good fun, I sometimes come across players who don't use or have a microphone at the moment. This means they'll have to write everything in game. This happened the other day while at Green Mountain. I was up the tower and down at ground level were two guys who'd just arrived. I ask their names and they tell me their names. I will not disclose the names out of sensitivity that they might want to be anonymous. One of them however is using text chat rather than mic chat. It just so happens that these guys are known cultists and murderers. As such I warn them to not come up the tower or I will execute them. They comply and seem to leave.

Side note: A new player spawns in on the tower balcony/walkway on the outside of the upstairs bit, he immediately gets shot by a mosin but fortunately survives and bandages up. If that isn't some KOS bullshit idk what is, poor guy. I explain the situation and as more and more people arrive and hear the story we decide to head down to where we've been told they took off to. Now I know that one of the guys I met at Green Mountain is there because I took his pulse. However, he is now using mic chat.

The question of the thread is, if a person uses text chat and later mic chat, should you be able to RP that you recognize his/her voice?

• Emerald

From what I think, yes you would be able to recognize their voice.

• Sapphire

Yes. Because they were talking to you in game chat and we are to take that as if they are really talking with their voice. This situation sounds like really badrp and troll-ish and attempted KoS.

Only if you've heard the voice previously, and are 100% certain it's them...

And you initiated on the men, and someone spawned into he tower(stupidly). They probably mistook him for you.

And you initiated on the men, and someone spawned into he tower(stupidly). They probably mistook him for you.

That is the issue though, if they type I don't technically hear their voices, but does it count as if I heard it in the game? Seeing as people in real life don't typically walk around writing in a pop up text box to each other to communicate.

And I know I initiated on them and why they shot him, that is kind of obvious, beside the point though.

That is the issue though, if they type I don't technically hear their voices, but does it count as if I heard it in the game? Seeing as people in real life don't typically walk around writing in a pop up text box to each other to communicate.

And I know I initiated on them and why they shot him, that is kind of obvious, beside the point though.

Well. If they typed/talked before, and you've heard their voice and identified it to that person, then yes, you can recognize their 'voice' whether it be actual voice, or text.

Well. If they typed/talked before, and you've heard their voice and identified it to that person, then yes, you can recognize their 'voice' whether it be actual voice, or text.

Appreciate the clarification. Thank you :)

• Sapphire

Okay. The thing is you can RP that you recognize his voice and that his disguise is not fooling you. I found a thread that is similar to what you are asking here.

Okay. The thing is you can RP that you recognize his voice and that his disguise is not fooling you. I found a thread that is similar to what you are asking here.

Thank you for finding that thread for me, was an interesting read. Kind of reminds me of the metagaming problem I've been noticing while playing sometimes, the whole typing reveals their name ooc wether they want to tell other players it or not. The typical reaction to this that I've observed is that they then magically know the guys name, extremely difficult to prove of course but I would love it if the people I've interacted with took the RolePlay>RulePlay approach.