Server time (UTC): 2022-10-07 01:51

Going insane / getting a mental illness

SommerTheViking

• Emerald

I am as you all can see i fairly new roleplayer here on DayZRP so i want to ask other more experienced players for advice so that i can improve my own roleplaying skills and give others a better roleplay experience.

So here it comes, my guy has been alone for quite awhile meeting other persons like once a week or once every second week so i am thinking, that might give some mental problems in an apocalypse, so i have played with the thought that i might get a bit of schizophrenia going on in my mind and i just wanted to ask if anybody else have any experience with that or any ideas to how i could do that in an orderly manner so i dont get looked at as a troller but a good roleplayer.

How should i act in generel ?

How should i act when i know somebody can hear me but we havent said hello to each other ?

Should i change my voice or way to speak ?

Those are a few questions i have in my mind before i am making the choice that now i am mentaly sick.

- Everything that could help me here to be a better roleplayer will be taken with an open mind and a happy smile, because i want to learn how to be better and better :)

• Emerald

My old character, James Reed, also turned insane from being lonely and being robbed constantly. I am also roleplaying a new character right now that started insane.

Act a little risky, but not too risky. Also mutter stuff under your breath. Since my character knows he has a mental illness he always mutters "The voices are fake" to himself to remind him that the voices he hears are fake. I also aim my weapon at people when they start to think I'm not normal. For example, today when I was playing I told a man prisons scare me and he asked if it's because they brought back bad memories. I then aimed my mosin at him and told him to say they don't bring back bad memories. When he did I lowered it.

When people can hear you but haven't seen you yet. Talk to yourself. Act abnormal.

I can't really tell you show to speak/change your voice, that would kinda require you to meet me in TS so I can show you my insane voice. But I tend to make myself rushed especially when people tell me to calm down and I tell them I am calm and perfectly normal. I also purposely mess up my words and correct myself alot to imply that I'm lying about things like my past.

• Emerald

My old character, James Reed, also turned insane from being lonely and being robbed constantly. I am also roleplaying a new character right now that started insane.

Act a little risky, but not too risky. Also mutter stuff under your breath. Since my character knows he has a mental illness he always mutters "The voices are fake" to himself to remind him that the voices he hears are fake. I also aim my weapon at people when they start to think I'm not normal. For example, today when I was playing I told a man prisons scare me and he asked if it's because they brought back bad memories. I then aimed my mosin at him and told him to say they don't bring back bad memories. When he did I lowered it.

When people can hear you but haven't seen you yet. Talk to yourself. Act abnormal.

I can't really tell you show to speak/change your voice, that would kinda require you to meet me in TS so I can show you my insane voice. But I tend to make myself rushed especially when people tell me to calm down and I tell them I am calm and perfectly normal. I also purposely mess up my words and correct myself alot to imply that I'm lying about things like my past.

I have actually thought about mutter for myself when others are in range and being abnormal alot, but i havent thought about being agressive with the gun and all that, that could show people that this guy is not alright.

What i ment with the voice is that many does that ''insane-voice'' but i have a friend which suffers schizophrenia and she is speaking like every other person on the planet, not what she is saying but how she says it, sounds normal - do you get where i am going ?

Best advise I can give you is to research the mental illness before you do anything, there doesn't have to be some "silly" voice to get trough that you are mentally ill, look on youtube/wikipedia and get a good grasp of what kind of traits the illness has.

I started to RP as a schizophrenic for my last character, well at least what I thought how a schizophrenic behaved, but it didn't take me long after reading some threads about mental illness to know that I was way off, so I looked into it and started taking it from there.

Roleplaying as a mentally ill person is one of the hardest things you can do if you want to pull it off without being trolly, have respect for the illness and people who has it irl.

• Emerald

Best advise I can give you is to research the mental illness before you do anything, there doesn't have to be some "silly" voice to get trough that you are mentally ill, look on youtube/wikipedia and get a good grasp of what kind of traits the illness has.

I started to RP as a schizophrenic for my last character, well at least what I thought how a schizophrenic behaved, but it didn't take me long after reading some threads about mental illness to know that I was way off, so I looked into it and started taking it from there.

Roleplaying as a mentally ill person is one of the hardest things you can do if you want to pull it off without being trolly, have respect for the illness and people who has it irl.

Of course i will respect it, i am not trying to offend anyone at all, i know someone that i have known for my hole life got it so i hope that explains a bit about that i do not wish to be disrespectfull or offensive in any way, i do know how the illness works and what it does to you but it is a very good idea to read up on it all just to refresh it, that was a good advice :)

This x100. The thing I cannot express enough is DO RESEARCH. Also, don't just do silly voices. It is inaccurate and just seems obnoxious. I think it is an insult to people who suffer from the illnesses they portray without realising these people are sick, and suffer. It's not just a huge joke. So thank you Djevful.

• Emerald

I have actually thought about mutter for myself when others are in range and being abnormal alot, but i havent thought about being agressive with the gun and all that, that could show people that this guy is not alright.

What i ment with the voice is that many does that ''insane-voice'' but i have a friend which suffers schizophrenia and she is speaking like every other person on the planet, not what she is saying but how she says it, sounds normal - do you get where i am going ?

Yes. I do. Insane people and people who suffer from mental illnesses often do not show any symptons and often know that they are ill. I would put some kind of insane person voice on so people get the idea though, but I am interested to see what the other way would be like. And another tip: it is the job of your character to deny that they are ill. To try to make people believe they are not ill. For example, I'm currently uploading a video which I'll be posting on the forums where when someone asks why I made a man my pet, I tell him it's because it's hard to get a pet these days and I haven't had one since this all started, instead of saying the truth which is that I haven't had one in five years, because I've been locked up all that time. Like I said earlier though, you should definitely in one way or another imply that your lying without directly giving it away.

Anyways, good luck on your character!

Of course i will respect it, i am not trying to offend anyone at all, i know someone that i have known for my hole life got it so i hope that explains a bit about that i do not wish to be disrespectfull or offensive in any way, i do know how the illness works and what it does to you but it is a very good idea to read up on it all just to refresh it, that was a good advice :)

Then my second advise would be to think to yourself when you are roleplaying:

"Would/Could my friend act like this?".

It's better if you come off a bit strange by things you say, not using a silly voice, be creative, also, just because you have a mental illness doesn't mean that you are bad so you wouldn't need to lie about it if someone asks if you are alright, tell them, I have some mental problems, that could lead to some good RP.

• Emerald

Yes. I do. Insane people and people who suffer from mental illnesses often do not show any symptons and often know that they are ill. I would put some kind of insane person voice on so people get the idea though, but I am interested to see what the other way would be like. And another tip: it is the job of your character to deny that they are ill. To try to make people believe they are not ill. For example, I'm currently uploading a video which I'll be posting on the forums where when someone asks why I made a man my pet, I tell him it's because it's hard to get a pet these days and I haven't had one since this all started, instead of saying the truth which is that I haven't had one in five years, because I've been locked up all that time. Like I said earlier though, you should definitely in one way or another imply that your lying without directly giving it away.

Anyways, good luck on your character!

Thanks alot, good tips and advices :)

i'll work with it more before i imploy the illness to my character

As I do believe this can happen, it seems a little short after the outbreak to become crazy. It's like people spend weeks and months in solitary in a single jail cell, and most don't go crazy from that. But obv it can happen. Just seems like it would be rare. Instead of crazy people running around everywhere.

• Emerald

Then my second advise would be to think to yourself when you are roleplaying:

"Would/Could my friend act like this?".

It's better if you come off a bit strange by things you say, not using a silly voice, be creative, also, just because you have a mental illness doesn't mean that you are bad so you wouldn't need to lie about it if someone asks if you are alright, tell them, I have some mental problems, that could lead to some good RP.

I honestly dont really think i would make up some voice because for me it seems unrealistic, they dont get another voice or anything like that more than we others do, but to have that how would she react to this is also very good to have in mind actually

• Sapphire

It takes a while to gain mental illness. Since your character meets people in a short time frame from each other, he is still developing an illness, it hasn't yet take affect:

What a character will be experiencing is 'Social Deprivation'. Some of the negative effects of it include: Aggressive behavior, vulnerability to drinking and drugs, experience memory loss, sleeping disorder, stress, aging, depression, anxiety, eating disorder, weight gain, and thoughts of suicide.

In order for your character to have a fully developed mental illness he would have to secluded for months, maybe even years, it all depends on the amount of social activity he had prior to the apocalypse. If your character was a lonely person growing up, didn't have friends, parents neglected him, then this increases the chances of a mental illness.

Okay, we'll stop there. I think I provided some info that may help you in your RP. This is a really difficult role to try and play, if you are going to play it, then you have to be careful, because some people may not think that you are being serious. I'll even provide a link for you to read about schizophrenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

• Emerald

As I do believe this can happen, it seems a little short after the outbreak to become crazy. It's like people spend weeks and months in solitary in a single jail cell, and most don't go crazy from that. But obv it can happen. Just seems like it would be rare. Instead of crazy people running around everywhere.

would you be all fine if you had to kill your wife when she tryed to bide you, killing loads of infected and see people getting robbed, tortured ect and then spend who knows how long in the forrest all alone?

in real life i think i would turn insane one way or the other to be honest with you

It takes a while to gain mental illness. Since your character meets people in a short time frame from each other, he is still developing an illness, it hasn't yet take affect:

What a character will be experiencing is 'Social Deprivation'. Some of the negative effects of it include: Aggressive behavior, vulnerability to drinking and drugs, experience memory loss, sleeping disorder, stress, aging, depression, anxiety, eating disorder, weight gain, and thoughts of suicide.

In order for your character to have a fully developed mental illness he would have to secluded for months, maybe even years, it all depends on the amount of social activity he had prior to the apocalypse. If your character was a lonely person growing up, didn't have friends, parents neglected him, then this increases the chances of a mental illness.

Okay, we'll stop there. I think I provided some info that may help you in your RP. This is a really difficult role to try and play, if you are going to play it, then you have to be careful, because some people may not think that you are being serious. I'll even provide a link for you to read about schizophrenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

i am actually logged in to a a doctor page to read op on it already, but thanks for the link anyway i might read that too.

but it fits pretty damn good with my backstory of my charater going slightly insane after awhile, i have been through much and i honestly didnt think i would survive that long

There's a few ways to go with that tbh - Robin Williams in Jumanji, Tom Hanks in Castaway, Sirrius Black in Harry Potter...all different tones but basically the same theme. "I am lonely and have forgotten how to talk properly to people."

• Emerald

Like i said, it isn't impossible...Just improbable. That's what makes this server great tho. If you can pull it off, you can pull it off. More power to you, hope to see your crazy ass character in game!

Im gonna think it through more before i actually deside to pull it off, i dont want to just jump in it and then do really bad, i'd rather wait till i feel i got it enough to be able to roleplay it properly

• MVP

Sommer, do you feel like you've gotten the advice you need?

Guest Generic Name

Not all characters who have a mental illness are insane, my character for example has dissociative personality disorder, and until something happens to make him shift to another personality, he's completely normal. The best advice I can give you is to research thoroughly the illness you're trying to portray, it takes a lot of insight to realistically roleplay character flaws but it's very rewarding. If you want to see what it's like, click the link in my signature to go to my youtube page and watch the first episode of my series.

• Legend

Ill solve this seeing as you have found your question answered.

/solved

• Emerald

Not all characters who have a mental illness are insane, my character for example has dissociative personality disorder, and until something happens to make him shift to another personality, he's completely normal. The best advice I can give you is to research thoroughly the illness you're trying to portray, it takes a lot of insight to realistically roleplay character flaws but it's very rewarding. If you want to see what it's like, click the link in my signature to go to my youtube page and watch the first episode of my series.

i have actually thought to have split personality instead of schizophrenia since schizophrenia is way way harder to roleplay after my personal opinion.

I'll go loo up some of your videos later tonight :)