Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 19:37

'Crazy' RP as an Indicator of Cannibalism: Concerns

Hey everybody.

As someone who plays a character who is a bit 'off' or weird I had question I wanted to pose to the community. Over the last few weeks, I've been gradually role playing a descentive struggle with multiple personality disorder, and as I have, more and more characters I meet in-game almost immediately ask me something along the lines of "You're not a cannibal are you?" One chap yesterday even went as far as insisting I show him the inside of all my bags and clothes to verify there was in fact no human flesh inside. (He ended up being quite dissapointed, even though the character I was role playing at the time was very happy to oblige his quest). It doesn't bother me, really, but I think it illustrates a problem we face when trying to role play multidimensional characters on DayZ Rp: that no matter what you say, things are always interpreted within the confines of the context of the game.

I particularly wanted to bring this up as I myself struggle with a mental health disorder and have several friends who do as well. During their more extreme moments, I have never ventured a guess that the cause was from eating another human being, as cannibalism is so far out of my personal context that it would never occur to me. Within DayZ, however, the devs have enabled mechanics that support the narrative.

So I guess what I want to discuss is do you think it it's important for more role players here to be more inclusive of their understanding of different types of role play and not necessarily link everything to cannibalism at this time? After all, we don't know for sure that Cannibalism is the only thing the devs plan to include in the game that could influence behavior. Brain disease, for example, has been considered. I am also wondering if other role players here are experiencing the same accusations of cannibalism in their role plays, and if they have any advice on how to best handle the accusations.

I wouldn't have a problem with people thinking I'm a cannibal all the time except lately it's been feeling a tad unimaginative and un-creative, espeically with regard to the fact that my 'crazy' personality often talks the most about helping people, guarding and protecting people. So sometimes it feels a bit contrived or forced that people automatically think cannibal when the meet someone who is struggling with extreme personality issues.

Just food for thought. Let me know your thoughts.

The meta will always be a problem, and as a person who bugs out a lot and gets the Kuru status effect a lot even though I have never resorted to cannibalism it kind of pisses me off. This is nothing new however, and something that a lot of new players mess up. In time it will hopefully get better.

Crazy, or mentally ill is a tough role to play. I believe that, with proper research it can be achieved and be brilliant. However, what I see now is people just imitating other people's crazy, or screaming really loud in the mic.

People associate Cannibalism to crazy, due to the Inmate group. Even though, from playing with them I can tell you they don't eat people. Just be careful with the playing crazy role because if it is too obnoxious people will report you for bad RP.

Being mentally ill is not just about screaming at inappropriate times or laughing for no reason. You can be happy one moment and sad the next. You can have voices in your head. The character genre itself has a lot of depth. Tread carefully, and good luck.

Whoa...don't go straight to meta...not just yet...

Let's look at the big picture here...EVERY person in the DayZ environment has gone through some shit to just stay alive, they have seen a VIRUS turn their friends and family into living RAGE machines that are psychotic and has been described as possibly a mutated strain of the rabies virus. If you see your loved ones and friends turning into ravaging beasts, there would be a fear that ANYONE near you could also do so especially them being people you have probably just met or forced together to survive. If you couldn't trust your loved one, why the fuck would you trust some random dude?

So in order to enlighten the situation and not go 'Meta' heavy hate here. Let's get some more info. What kind of personality disorders are we talking about here. Are you twitchy(infected do this), are you easily aggravated(infected do this), etc...

Now, if you RP a character that is switching from one Alter ego to another, could this be seen by someone you are playing with as possible infection or no?

Hey everybody.

As someone who plays a character who is a bit 'off' or weird I had question I wanted to pose to the community. Over the last few weeks, I've been gradually role playing a descentive struggle with multiple personality disorder, and as I have, more and more characters I meet in-game almost immediately ask me something along the lines of "You're not a cannibal are you?" One chap yesterday even went as far as insisting I show him the inside of all my bags and clothes to verify there was in fact no human flesh inside. (He ended up being quite dissapointed, even though the character I was role playing at the time was very happy to oblige his quest). It doesn't bother me, really, but I think it illustrates a problem we face when trying to role play multidimensional characters on DayZ Rp: that no matter what you say, things are always interpreted within the confines of the context of the game.

I particularly wanted to bring this up as I myself struggle with a mental health disorder and have several friends who do as well. During their more extreme moments, I have never ventured a guess that the cause was from eating another human being, as cannibalism is so far out of my personal context that it would never occur to me. Within DayZ, however, the devs have enabled mechanics that support the narrative.

So I guess what I want to discuss is do you think it it's important for more role players here to be more inclusive of their understanding of different types of role play and not necessarily link everything to cannibalism at this time? After all, we don't know for sure that Cannibalism is the only thing the devs plan to include in the game that could influence behavior. Brain disease, for example, has been considered. I am also wondering if other role players here are experiencing the same accusations of cannibalism in their role plays, and if they have any advice on how to best handle the accusations.

I wouldn't have a problem with people thinking I'm a cannibal all the time except lately it's been feeling a tad unimaginative and un-creative, espeically with regard to the fact that my 'crazy' personality often talks the most about helping people, guarding and protecting people. So sometimes it feels a bit contrived or forced that people automatically think cannibal when the meet someone who is struggling with extreme personality issues.

Just food for thought. Let me know your thoughts.

Well, i think that any and all aspects of playing a character with any mental instability is a very tricky situation. Cannibalism is what we have for now, but it´s not impossible to think about meeting people that are suffering from chock, ptsd or such or perhaps that was a patient of a mental institute before it all went south.

However, the danger of this is that you could have people ending up in making a "ridiculous" mimic or version of a real disorder, thus perhaps insulting someone or making a situation very uncomfortable. For anyone living with any of a number of mental disorders or who are living with someone that is suffering from this, they will know that it´s a very thing sheet of ice you are walking on. Things can turn from bad to good to worse 50 times in 5 min etc.

My hat´s off to all those that attempt this, but i feel it should not be taken to lightly or made into the server clown actions. It´s a medical condition after all, not a joke.

• Sapphire

Being a cannibal doesn't require one to be insane. Insanity implies that a person has lost some sort of connection to reality. While cannibalism is certainly in conflict with social norms, it's possible for a person to routinely practice cannibalism without being mentally unstable.

Now, a person that murders humans to eat them is certainly evil, but no more evil than a person that murders humans to steal their possessions. Eating human flesh isn't evil, per se, but it is disrespectful, unhealthy, and a bit demented.

It's also important to separate a cannibal that kills humans for food vs. one that merely views any dead flesh, human or animal, as food. Some cannibals are opportunistic. They would never kill a human to eat them, but if they're forced to kill them for other reasons, they might eat them anyway. They might view letting them rot as a waste of food in a world where food is now very scarce, for example.

Also, a cannibal doesn't necessarily view all people as food, or even as potential food. Just like a person from China that has eaten cats for years as food may still view pet cats as pets rather than food, a cannibal may not view average strangers as potential meat, and may instead only view the recently fallen as potential food. When I see a cow, for example, I don't immediately think "steak!" I see an animal. I know that this animal is commonly turned into food, and that food is a food I regularly eat, but I don't salivate or get hungry when I see a cow, or a chicken.

I think it's just due to inexperience with RP and maybe a bit of age, I myself would never accuse someone IG being a cannibal just because he's a bit strange, that's like the last thing I would think off, why would you be a cannibal this close to the outbreak?

The craziest person I've met is Thomas Jones and the thought never even occurred to me.

Maybe in a couple of years I'd be a bit more vary after food supplies is gone and animals are pretty much extinct, then there would be a real reason to be afraid of people.

Well, i think that any and all aspects of playing a character with any mental instability is a very tricky situation. Cannibalism is what we have for now, but it´s not impossible to think about meeting people that are suffering from chock, ptsd or such or perhaps that was a patient of a mental institute before it all went south.

However, the danger of this is that you could have people ending up in making a "ridiculous" mimic or version of a real disorder, thus perhaps insulting someone or making a situation very uncomfortable. For anyone living with any of a number of mental disorders or who are living with someone that is suffering from this, they will know that it´s a very thing sheet of ice you are walking on. Things can turn from bad to good to worse 50 times in 5 min etc.

My hat´s off to all those that attempt this, but i feel it should not be taken to lightly or made into the server clown actions. It´s a medical condition after all, not a joke.

I agree. I have tried to be as subtle as I could about it, and those who have RPed with me extensively said it has made their experience far better than worse, so I've tried to use that as an indicator of how far I should go. Tonight, for example, I had a tremendously good evening where multiple characters got to see various complexes shades of two different personalities and it worked very well. I appreciate all the advice and hesitant support. I agree that subtlety, nuance and caution should be exercised when undertaking this kind of role play, but so far, it seems most seem to enjoy what I'm doing so I think I'll stick with it.

I've been researching dissaociative identity disorder alot lately as I am a writer by profession and needed it for another project. That, in combination with a series of in character traumatic events, made me think it was a nice time to explore it. What was really cool tonight was that I was role playing a specific trigger that was causing one of the disassociative responses to happen, and someone caught it and picked up on it, convinced my character to remove the trigger, and deescalated the situation. It was a brilliant batch of RP and no mention of cannibals even came into the conversation. It was a fantastic moment.

I agree. I have tried to be as subtle as I could about it, and those who have RPed with me extensively said it has made their experience far better than worse, so I've tried to use that as an indicator of how far I should go. Tonight, for example, I had a tremendously good evening where multiple characters got to see various complexes shades of two different personalities and it worked very well. I appreciate all the advice and hesitant support. I agree that subtlety, nuance and caution should be exercised when undertaking this kind of role play, but so far, it seems most seem to enjoy what I'm doing so I think I'll stick with it.

I've been researching dissaociative identity disorder alot lately as I am a writer by profession and needed it for another project. That, in combination with a series of in character traumatic events, made me think it was a nice time to explore it. What was really cool tonight was that I was role playing a specific trigger that was causing one of the disassociative responses to happen, and someone caught it and picked up on it, convinced my character to remove the trigger, and deescalated the situation. It was a brilliant batch of RP and no mention of cannibals even came into the conversation. It was a fantastic moment.

That´s a really good thing to do with the writing part and to experience this in game as a benchmark. Cool idea =)

My girlfriend and i have been together 4 years, and she is diagnosed among other things with borderline and deep depressions etc + self harming disorders as well. Heavy medications can only take on so far, and to experience these dark moments can indeed be a frightful thing for those that are new to it.

I can absolutely see bringing theory's and trial runs on how to cope with things as that into a game and to have it as a valve more or less. It´s sort of a second layer of the personality that you can control and shut off if you feel it´s crossing the line. More or less the equivalent of walking through a crowd and wearing sunglasses to get that sort or "protections" from not having direct eye contact.

You seem to have a good foundation to bring this in the game and i hope to get to meet you ingame some day and experience it myself =)

Guest Malcavitch

I died earlier today and decided to take a similar role in my RP, i'm working on a character with multi personality disorder. where my character has a good and bad side, Perfectly normal helpful (Gabriel) the good side and the Hasty murderous swine Lincoln known as the butcher. There will be a 3rd but this will generally come into play at emotional times or when Gabriel and Lucifer have a conflict that push both out the way to allow the real person person behind the intruders come fourth into complete confusion. Been claimed as a cannibal in my 1st hour so far would be interested to see how it plays out tonight. bring on the fun at green mountain.

So i would love some more ingame mechanics put in to help stop being instantly classed as a cannibal. Murderer, Hero yes but cannibal? maybe someday it is a power struggle of good vs evil who will become Lord?

That´s a really good thing to do with the writing part and to experience this in game as a benchmark. Cool idea =)

My girlfriend and i have been together 4 years, and she is diagnosed among other things with borderline and deep depressions etc + self harming disorders as well. Heavy medications can only take on so far, and to experience these dark moments can indeed be a frightful thing for those that are new to it.

I can absolutely see bringing theory's and trial runs on how to cope with things as that into a game and to have it as a valve more or less. It´s sort of a second layer of the personality that you can control and shut off if you feel it´s crossing the line. More or less the equivalent of walking through a crowd and wearing sunglasses to get that sort or "protections" from not having direct eye contact.

You seem to have a good foundation to bring this in the game and i hope to get to meet you ingame some day and experience it myself =)

Thanks! PM me your steam name and maybe can make it happen. :)

• Emerald

Being a cannibal doesn't require one to be insane. Insanity implies that a person has lost some sort of connection to reality. While cannibalism is certainly in conflict with social norms, it's possible for a person to routinely practice cannibalism without being mentally unstable.

Now, a person that murders humans to eat them is certainly evil, but no more evil than a person that murders humans to steal their possessions. Eating human flesh isn't evil, per se, but it is disrespectful, unhealthy, and a bit demented.

It's also important to separate a cannibal that kills humans for food vs. one that merely views any dead flesh, human or animal, as food. Some cannibals are opportunistic. They would never kill a human to eat them, but if they're forced to kill them for other reasons, they might eat them anyway. They might view letting them rot as a waste of food in a world where food is now very scarce, for example.

Also, a cannibal doesn't necessarily view all people as food, or even as potential food. Just like a person from China that has eaten cats for years as food may still view pet cats as pets rather than food, a cannibal may not view average strangers as potential meat, and may instead only view the recently fallen as potential food. When I see a cow, for example, I don't immediately think "steak!" I see an animal. I know that this animal is commonly turned into food, and that food is a food I regularly eat, but I don't salivate or get hungry when I see a cow, or a chicken.

I couldnt agree more, but when i see i cow i instantly think of milk :P

But i still agree very much, i have met cannibals that i traveled a bit with, some where open about being a cannibal and promised not to kill me or others just for eating them and said '' but if we see someone who is already dead i might go ahead and... you know..''

So cannibals CAN sometimes be kinda normal people, even nice people.

I couldnt agree more, but when i see i cow i instantly think of milk :P

But see, that's the problem, people are thinking of odd behavior in a role play context as a direct correlation and interpreting it as causation.

To use your example, you see a cow and think of milk. So by looking at the cow, you would create an inference that you could milk it?

But what if it was a male cow? What if the cow was dry? What is the cow was born without udders? These are all potential considerations that undermine your direct correlation.

And in the case of DayZRp, the only reason people think cannibalism is because its the only mechanically implemented "disorder" so far. (And I used that term very liberally). So even though my character is not eminating the mechanics that identify a cannibal nor has he ever tasted human flesh, they make an assumption, even though most of them have not RPed with any other cannibals before. I think that's what bugs me. It makes a ton of sense to make that inference if you have experienced other cannibals, but I'm assuming most of these characters have not. Just my thoughts.

I think the connection from "crazy" to "cannibal" is because you have to be mentaly ill to do cannibalism. Chernarus is so filled with food (root,grass,trees,animals etc.) that Humans should not consider Cannibalism yet.

We have so many crazy people that its getting...yeha...to much. I know horrible things have happend and shit but I think the Human can put up with tons of shit and keep going without truning total crazy.

today i've been shot (luckily they patched me up later) only beacause i had a knife in my hands, and after a guy asked me if i skinned animals with that i started laghing saying:""animals, yeah..."

today i've been shot (luckily they patched me up later) only beacause i had a knife in my hands, and after a guy asked me if i skinned animals with that i started laghing saying:""animals, yeah..."

You don´t find that to be a bit NVFL? What purpose could you have to hint something like that?

Guest Vittoria

You don´t find that to be a bit NVFL? What purpose could you have to hint something like that?

Does it really matter though?

Makes for RP if they take the hint also.

Does it really matter though?

Makes for RP if they take the hint also.

Yes, it very much matters. Why risk your life like that?

This also hints on Cannibal gameplay just for the heck of it, not because of being 1 inch from death and doing the unspeakable.

^ this. I am not trying to ready trash anyone's rp, but I think whether you play a character with disassociative identities or a cannibal, its important to have à strong understanding of why and how the character developed in this way and let a t least a small portion of that out to others through role play.