Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 17:42

Meta-gaming human meat?

Zunn

• Emerald

My question is if someone finds some human meat in your backpack is it meta-gaming for them to know that the meat is in fact human meat? As there is surely no way for someone to tell a steak of meat is human or not, it could be any other kind of meat.

• Emerald

No man i was getting my backpack searched by those guys and thought it was a bit meta-gamy :D

Guest killsumbud

No man i was getting my backpack searched by those guys and thought it was a bit meta-gamy :D

I've seen it said on the forums that unless their character has specific knowledge of the texture and appearance of human meat then they would not know. I've seen IC a person saying he knew what it looked like because he has watched helplessly as a friend was butchered and once a guy said that he was a butcher before the outbreak. IDK if either of these are relevant enough to really explain that they knew without a shadow of a doubt, but both lines were delivered in the spirit of shit rp, imo.

• Sapphire

At least I see it as some sort of metagaming yes. Though IF you have a valid argument how you can explain why it seems like human meat then I'll get off your back. IC my profession is a hunter and I always try to RP it out asking what kind of meat that is as I've never seen that kind. And even if I do see someone with a backpack full of human meat I won't be pointing guns or anything. That's how it should be played out.

Problem here though is that because of the risk of getting the the sickness from eating human flesh, you need to consider that as well. Is it meta gaming to look in a bag, see human flesh on the screen, but force yourself to eat it nonetheless because you are hungry?

That makes you yourself break the NVFL rule "basically."

It is meta-gaming. Flesh is flesh, there is no distinctions when you just look at the steak.

This is my concern though. Yes, human meat looks like typical red meat, and tastes like veal or pork. But we are assuming that EVERY person that carves up human meat is a world class butcher. If you are going to eat human meat, you gonna take the thighs...It is the most meat on the human body, and there is not any way you would take the skin off, that would be the best part if crisped up all nice over the fire with some salt...uhmmm, i'd imagine

...But anyway...

Why assume that it is carved like a beautifully presented slab of venison, when it could just as easily be a human hand or something...and I know I know, 'the image!', yeah, well, then when you hover over it how come that isn't RP'd into something like your character making an educated guess?

I think we need to establish a rule that we can recognize human meet just because as said, they are not cut in precise butcher-shop slices and wrapped with a label on it. Let´s just agree that you can see the meat is different from the human hairs on the arm or such, because otherwise, you are forcing people to ignore the risk of getting sick + you let the people that spread the meat have an underhand you can never even out.

If the meat did not risk spreading an infection, then i would say fine... let it be. Now however you can get sick and be killed from eating it so it is a meta gaming subject in it´s self to just place a slab anywhere for people to find. The equivalent is "basically" to spread fruit or other food sources around that is poisoned or to place a mined trap for anyone to get killed by.

If the source of food or drink can affect your health or end up killing you, it´s a powerful tool that must be regulated.

Guest killsumbud

Problem here though is that because of the risk of getting the the sickness from eating human flesh, you need to consider that as well. Is it meta gaming to look in a bag, see human flesh on the screen, but force yourself to eat it nonetheless because you are hungry?

That makes you yourself break the NVFL rule "basically."

Don't eat others meat. My character has lived by that since his inception.

To elaborate. In real life, i don't take deer and game meat from just everyone that offers it around here. There is no telling what kind of practices they use when skinning and preparing the meat for storage.

• Emerald

I think we need to establish a rule that we can recognize human meet just because as said, they are not cut in precise butcher-shop slices and wrapped with a label on it. Let´s just agree that you can see the meat is different from the human hairs on the arm or such, because otherwise, you are forcing people to ignore the risk of getting sick + you let the people that spread the meat have an underhand you can never even out.

If the meat did not risk spreading an infection, then i would say fine... let it be. Now however you can get sick and be killed from eating it so it is a meta gaming subject in it´s self to just place a slab anywhere for people to find. The equivalent is "basically" to spread fruit or other food sources around that is poisoned or to place a mined trap for anyone to get killed by.

If the source of food or drink can affect your health or end up killing you, it´s a powerful tool that must be regulated.

You become ill from eating raw meat of any kind.

• Emerald

There are other ways you can roleplay it besides saying its human meat, for example:

*examines meat and notices a smell* "This meat is spoiled I don't think I want to eat this...may get sick"

IMO its a little metagaming to say its human because you only know this because it has a lable....

No you do not. Some meat you can eat more or less raw. A bloody stake in a restaurant for example. However, you will get sick from eating raw pork or chicken.

*examines meat and notices a smell* "This meat is spoiled I don't think I want to eat this...may get sick"

IMO its a little metagaming to say its human because you only know this because it has a lable....

Hang on now.. i think you just cracked it really.

Can we perhaps make a rule that says that human flesh may smell very different...more or less like slightly rotten flesh does. A bit sour.

If so, then it´s up to one and each to remember to check it before eating it.

Could this be a solution?

EDIT: Sorry killsumbud for the miss-quote. It is fixed now =)

• Emerald

There are other ways you can roleplay it besides saying its human meat, for example:

In this case it was people at green mountain saying they wish to search my whole groups bags before they enter to see if we had human meat and they are doing it to everyone. It wasn't about eating it, i thought surely from just looking into a bag at some meat they couldn't tell what type of meat it is in role play. (I didn't actually have any meat on me ;) )

• Sapphire

Beef can usually be eaten raw with little ill effect. My grandfather used to regularly eat raw hamburger. It's gross, but he never got sick from it. I also regularly eat rare steak without any problems, and I'm a huge fan of sashimi.

Even pork and chicken can be eaten raw in some cases, though that depends on the source. The blue-foot chicken, for example, can be eaten raw, as it doesn't host salmonella like other chickens do.

Can we perhaps make a rule that says that human flesh may smell very different...more or less like slightly rotten flesh does. A bit sour.

You'd know it was off, but unless you've spent time smelling human flesh enough to know it when you smell it, you wouldn't know it was human. At best, you'd just think it was off.

Guest killsumbud

You'd know it was off, but unless you've spent time smelling human flesh enough to know it when you smell it...

*Sniffs hand..*

hrm..

Joke though :D

Beef can usually be eaten raw with little ill effect. My grandfather used to regularly eat raw hamburger. It's gross, but he never got sick from it. I also regularly eat rare steak without any problems, and I'm a huge fan of sashimi.

Even pork and chicken can be eaten raw in some cases, though that depends on the source. The blue-foot chicken, for example, can be eaten raw, as it doesn't host salmonella like other chickens do.

You'd know it was off, but unless you've spent time smelling human flesh enough to know it when you smell it, you wouldn't know it was human. At best, you'd just think it was off.

Well if you think it´s off, then it´s up to you to either eat it or not. My brother was a head-chef for 10 + years and i have worked in a few restaurants etc my self + i grew up on a farm where we grew our own food and had pigs, cows etc that we slaughtered ourselfs. I would use personal experience and guessing to the best of my abilities whenever handling meat.

In a survival situation, the worst you can do with meat is getting sick, so it´s only logical that you be extra careful.

Sadly, i can say with certainty that a dead human being do smell very distinct.

Question about the whole human meat thing. Is one even allowed to eat human meat in game? Probably a silly question but I can't really figure out a circumstance where you'd even acquire it unless you'd cut someone up after a firefight?

Question about the whole human meat thing. Is one even allowed to eat human meat in game? Probably a silly question but I can't really figure out a circumstance where you'd even acquire it unless you'd cut someone up after a firefight?

Technically you would cut it from a dead person ( player already dead ) and if you eat it, you might end up infected from the meat. You are not allowed however to infect others with that meat, so basically, any human meat you acquire is for you alone or your fellow cannibal friend.

-snip-

You can do that, but you would have to ask permission in OOC.

Not if it´s a dead body since the player is not connected to it in any way at that point. Let´s say you die from a Zombie. A Cannibal could freely then make use of your corpse because, you are not actually dead IC.

-snip-

You can do that, but you would have to ask permission in OOC.

Not if it´s a dead body since the player is not connected to it in any way at that point. Let´s say you die from a Zombie. A Cannibal could freely then make use of your corpse because, you are not actually dead IC.

Thought you were talking about feeding someone the human meat; but yeah, it doesnt really matter about the corpse. Might cause some ingame issues though.