Server time (UTC): 2022-09-26 13:55

Crisp gear/gear whore

If one more person asks if they can fix my gear or give me a sewing kit to use...

Hey don't get me wrong. I appreciate the offer but we are kinda living in an apocalypse if you haven't noticed. I'm wearing ruined clothes/gear for a reason.

I love gear as much as the next guy/girl but there is no need to travel around Chernarus looking like you are prepped and ready to go to a wedding or job interview. It would be one crazy wedding or interview I'm sure.

I can honestly say I remember meeting a fella Joe Kalista (Sweet Joe) when the SA server went live (kinda Olsha days and I was a pure RP noob) and was like...look at this guy in the tattered clothes. I would run into him the next day and he had the same tattered clothes on and I remember thinking to myself why doesn't he simply exchange them with pristine gear?

Because this man had survived an ordeal or two or three and his clothing displayed his struggles in which he had survived from.

I look back now and laugh at myself for thinking he was fail due to his clothing being ruined but really I was the one that was fail. Pure RP vs gear whore.

(If you have OCD tendencies you may be exempt ;))

Simply release the pursuit of gear whoring and the rp will be better I promise you that.

Food for thought

Cheers

Guest Vittoria

I wouldn't necessarily say that a "gear whore" is someone who wants to look clean. I always fix my stuff because it adds more armor to the clothing, and it bothers me with it being all dirty and cut.

You can only know a true gear whore if you played the DayZRP mod.

• Emerald

I love my gear looking beautiful.

Oi! whats wrong with being a gear whore?

"Because this man had survived an ordeal or two or three and his clothing displayed his struggles in which he had survived from."

Nice.

There is nothing wrong with gear in good condition, in terms of RP it's normal to take care of the few things that makes you live longer, but if everyone is in full camo armor with top notch gear it's not the greatest for immersion.

• Sapphire

Gear whore.

A person who is always in need for better more high end and good looking gear.

Also know for robbing people of their weapons because they are nicer and/or better looking then theirs.

When there is a crash side they will go crazy and insane, that is the right time to leave for your own safety.

some common names are the common one, gear whore or loot whore or the 'i want that nice gear what was yours but now mine whore' and SVR

• Sapphire

I like to fix my clothes sometimes, but most of the time I like to look like I went through hell.

I wouldn't necessarily say that a "gear whore" is someone who wants to look clean. I always fix my stuff because it adds more armor to the clothing, and it bothers me with it being all dirty and cut.

I just learnt something here.

I wasnt aware that clothing condition would alter damage taken. I know from playing that items in clothing seem to mitigate some damage but you have made a valid point I obviously overlooked if a pristine piece of clothing allows you the chance to mitigate more damage.

Cheers.

P.s I should have chosen some other descriptive, less negative words in place of "gear whore". Broad category I know.

Can't believe I haven't thought of this! It's a really minor thing to do but it does add a much more immersive survival feel. I will probably start doing this more. If I drop my clothes and hit them they will get ruined right?

• MVP

(If you have OCD tendencies you may be exempt ;))

this is meeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! im sorry but i love my shiny bright blue check shirt! it needs to be vibrant and clean!

I think wearing ruined gear is fine if it's all you have.... but if you found something better.. why would you NOT wear the better thing? I think refusing to wear something nice opposed to torn is bad RP when given the option.

I agree with you but its kinda easy to keep your clothing in a "worn" condition in Real Life too so I dont think that in an apocalpyse in early stage its that much of a Problem.

And damaged clothing seems extremly killed so I dont like it.

I just learnt something here.

I wasnt aware that clothing condition would alter damage taken. I know from playing that items in clothing seem to mitigate some damage but you have made a valid point I obviously overlooked if a pristine piece of clothing allows you the chance to mitigate more damage.

Cheers.

P.s I should have chosen some other descriptive, less negative words in place of "gear whore". Broad category I know.

Speaking as a man who just had my beautiful Rider Jacket get taken from Worn to Ruined by one zombie slap, I was just forced to put on a black tactical shirt. Mainly because I didn't want my sawed-off shotty ruined the next time a zombie slapped my ruined jacket.

• Sapphire

I don't choose to wear shitty clothing just because "it's the apocalypse." I find people using that as a reason to do a lot of silly things.

I'll wear damaged clothing if I have to, but refusing to patch clothes just because I want to look like I'm part of the grunge culture isn't really feasible. Torn clothing provides less protection from the elements, so if I have a ripped up jacket and someone offers to mend it for me, you'd better believe I'm going to let them do it, if I can't do it myself.

• Sapphire

I think wearing ruined gear is fine if it's all you have.... but if you found something better.. why would you NOT wear the better thing? I think refusing to wear something nice opposed to torn is bad RP when given the option.

I agree but perhaps "nice" isnt the best word "functional" is probably a better word to use. its common knowledge that clothing with more holes or tears is going to be more likely to catch on bushes/branches which could be your death if you get hung up too long and lead to things falling out of the pockets etc. which is something you don't want.

Of course none of this can happen in game but from an RP stand point definitely.

You also have to consider the elements waterproof/warm clothing doesn't really work if there is a gaping tear in the front of it letting the water and cold in so it makes perfect sense to fix or change your clothing if they end up in a bad way.

I fix my character's clothes, because he's a pragmatic fellow, and that's the sensible thing to do when you rely on them for your survival.

Incidentally, it's the same reason why my character won't run around with the scope constantly attached to the rifle, why he won't slather spray paint all over it and why he won't attach anything that absorbs moisture (read: ghillie wrap) to it. It's gear that he relies on for his survival and it would be stupid of him to do things to it that would reduce its lifespan. Likewise he'll exchange one item for one that is in better condition, unless the item holds some special significance to him. An example of this is my character's "lucky hat".

Likewise he rejects certain types of gear that in normal DayZ gameplay could be considered superior, because it doesn't fit his purposes or because it's excess weight. The weight of his gear is also why he won't eg. pick up every box of ammo he comes across.

Any action can be sufficiently justified by the character.

The problem with gear is as i would say that to many people dress to look cool, not to dress their role.

For example. Irl we host ( Airsoft ) Post Apocalyptic horror events. In these events we have a central government that has basically stated a law, that if you are in the vicinity of any official government based military force and you are dressed in any form of military uniform or outfit, you can become drafted on the spot. Any and all refusal is dealt with as treason by the local law enforcement or the top ranking commander.

In DayZRP, there are a bit to many combat based looks, even for those that do not play such a role. It´s not just the players fault because we do have a general lack of options, but i am hoping that with modding tools, this can be evened out.

Sure, we don´t have official roles yet, but people still play doctors, snipers, engineers and so on. I think that later on we should have more options created to be able to separate people based on what they wear. With a somewhat equal creation of gear, both military and civilian, this can be done.

In terms of immersion, we would all look like shit. Dirty hands, facial hair. Women would no longer look clean and kempt because hygiene supplies would be a luxury and a rare commodity. Keep in mind this is roughly 8 months after patient zero, according to lore. Clothes and items used to patch them would still be available.

Sure a lot of people may have mismatched clothes "I.E Red pants blue hoody" However they would still be in relatively good shape. I feel the things that would be LEAST common would be things like toilet paper, canned food and bottled water.