Server time (UTC): 2022-09-26 12:49

Iceinfly's Guide to Insane Characters/Cannibals

Iceinfly's Guide on Insane Characters/Cannibals

Hello everybody! If you do not know who I am, my name is Iceinfly. I have been a member of this community for about 9 months now and have played many different characters. The most recent of which being James Ice, who I played mostly at Green Mountain. I now play a schizophrenic character who goes by the name of Jack Martin.

Recently I have noticed quite a few people playing characters with mental disorders or people playing cannibals and I wanted to give this short guide on what to do and what not to do. I am mainly doing this because many of the guides out there just say, "You need to play this type of character well," which seems to me to be very vague.

Insane characters are not for everybody. It is usually best if your first or even second characters do not have some kind of mental illness. With that, if you are planning on or are currently playing an insane character, this is the guide for you.

1. The Definition of Insanity

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines insane as, "severe mental illness" or "mentally disordered."

Note that there is no point within this definition where insanity is classified as a violent or unstable individual. In truth, many insane people are not violent in nature. Though they may have serious problems in one category or another, a mentally ill person will tend not to have problems with homicidal rage or lack of morals. Those conditions are only typical in a select few mental disorders.

Also note the word "illness." Being mentally ill is not something to be taken lightly or joke about. Typically, a mentally ill person is dealing with a debilitating disorder that requires said person to be constantly paying attention to how they act and react to different situations. A mental disorder tends to get in the way of a lot of things, not allow for a lot of things.

On that note people with mental disorders tend to have them all of their life or, at least, have precursors to them. Thus, a mentally disabled person will usually know how to deal with their madness and know some coping strategies that help them get along in day to day existence. These people can lead normal lives just like you or me. Mentally ill people almost never make it apparent that they are, indeed, mentally ill nor do they act strangely at all times.

2. Cannibalism

Cannibalism is not something that people do normally, nor is it something that people will boast about. Cannibalism is usually done only in moments of desperation and when a person has nowhere else to turn. Cannibalism is usually outlawed by many societies and thus, it is never a good idea to boast about eating human meat. Frequently, cannibalism is done once and never spoken of again. You are not obligated to eat human meat if you have done so once.

On that note, if you are playing a cannibal or if you see a cannibal, here are a few facts about human meat:

When raw, human meat looks and smells like beef with streaks of yellow fat and slightly less red:

This means that it is very hard to determine human meat from regular beef. Though it may say "Human meat" in game, it is very hard for a normal person to differentiate between human meat and beef. Knowing what human meat looks like can help avoid metagaming situations where a person cries out, "He's a cannibal!"

When cooked, human meat turns grey just as lamb or veal would and tastes almost exactly like veal:

In his book Jungle Ways, William Buehler Seabrook wrote a detailed description of human meat when cooked, uncooked, and eaten. He stated that "It was like a good, fully developed veal." When cooked, human turns gray, just like lamb or veal and smells like cooked beef. This means that, to the untrained eye, nose, and mouth, a person could eat human meat without ever knowing what exactly it was.

A note on insane cannibals: I have recently seen many people on this server playing people who do not eat human meat for sustenance in times of necessity, but because it is a good source of food a la Dr. Lecter. This path must be taken with the utmost caution. Killing a person just to eat them can lead to disastrous consequences. ALWAYS roleplay the situation out with the victim or be a scavenger. If you cannot roleplay it out, don't play a cannibal.

3. Research

Before playing a mentally ill character, always decide on a specific mental illness. Crazy is NOT an illness and can frequently lead to trolling. Decide on a mental illness and stick with it. You will also need to do intense amounts of research on said illness. Make sure that you know the disease inside and out before playing a character with it. With my current character, Jack, I spent about 5 hours researching schizophrenia and people with said disease.

Also, do some research on famous people with the disease. It is not too uncommon for people to have a disease and be very good at hiding it.

Dos and Don'ts

Here are a few dos and don'ts for playing and interacting with insane characters and cannibals.

Do:

Follow the three "R"s when playing an insane character:

Roleplay:

If you do play an insane character or cannibal, make sure that you are doing it with a fleshed out character. It's no fun if you just act crazy for the sake of acting crazy.

Research:

I already covered most of this in the Research section but I wanted to touch up on it again. Doing research is incredibly important for fleshing out a character.

Use Reason:

What I mean by this is, don't be stupid while playing your character. You need to have a mind to be crazy in after all.

Don't:

Troll:

Use common sense and take into account the feelings of other people. Nobody likes to play with a person when all they do is talk nonsense and babble.

Kill Because you're Crazy

I touched up on this in the "Definition of Insanity" section. Crazy people are hardly ever violent and are even more rarely homicidal. Cannibals are the same way. The deed is usually done in times of desperation or as a ritual thing.

Act Mad:

Nobody likes to RP with a person who speaks in tongues or talks about how the government is made out of bees. A person can be crazy and not mad at the same time.

Always remember, when you play an insane character, you walk a very fine line. Use common sense when playing your character. If you don't play your character correctly, you could end up being at the wrong end of a BadRP or Trolling report.

A Note on Schizophrenia

Paranoid Schizophrenia is a rare mental disorder where people experience auditory and visual hallucinations. I have recently seen a few people who have been playing paranoid schizophrenics. The only problem is, most people don't realise exactly how terrifying and maddening schizophrenia can be. Here are a few videos courtesy of alieb929 that really show just how creepy it can be. Trigger warning, these videos are immensely creepy.

• Sapphire

This is really good. I like it a lot. Good job mate! This is a good guide and helps understand how to properly portray a mentally ill character.

+1

• Sapphire

It's also important to note that most people with mental illnesses can still function socially, and most people with mental illness know they have a mental illness and will attempt to hide that fact in public. Many of them are quite successful at doing so.

Thanks for the positive support guys!

It's also important to note that most people with mental illnesses can still function socially, and most people with mental illness know they have a mental illness and will attempt to hide that fact in public. Many of them are quite successful at doing so.

I tried to convey that in the third paragraph of the Definition of Insanity section, I will probably edit it to make that clearer though.

• Emerald

been playing a schizophrenic for my entire dayzrp career most fun ever.

now im not tho modnever4get

A cool guide there Iceinfly some tip top info for some Players for sure

I well new n waiting for whitlist but never thought of playing a crazy guy in game lol but in RL my frinds say im a Psychiatrists wet dream.

Most people with a mental illnesses can still function socially, and most people with mental illness know they have a mental illness and will attempt to hide that fact in public. look for the Ticks lol Most of them are quite successful at doing so thats how they get your beans and never get caught

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Sapphire

Good job in the guide.

Really helpful maybe people will have some improvement in their Crazy or Cannibal RP.

For schizophrenia, specifically auditory hallucinations, check out this video. It is a simulation of auditory hallucinations. Its pretty creepy. Best done with headphones. Try imagining having this happen to you during your regular everday life. I was listening to the video while typing this reply and I must say...it was very difficult to do. Super distracting.

I work with individuals who suffer from various mental illnesses. Some of which have visual and auditory hallucinations. If anyone has any questions about how they behave feel free to PM me.

[video=youtube]

Another video about life with schizophrenia, auditory hallucinations.

[video=youtube]

Please consider this with your RP.

• MVP

Excellent job with spot on explanations. Good info to consider when attempting to play the so called "crazy" character. Crazy is a "catch all" label, mental illness is just that and as you say, a lifelong struggle with very real symptoms and consequences.

Excellent job with spot on explanations. Good info to consider when attempting to play the so called "crazy" character. Crazy is a "catch all" label, mental illness is just that and as you say, a lifelong struggle with very real symptoms and consequences.

Thank you for the support! I tried to make the guide as clear and concise as possible so there wouldn't be any confusion.

I like the guide im usre it will help some people, but i didnt really need tips for rping like an insade character.

Well, I hope it will help you if you ever decide to play one in the future.

• MVP

Thank you for the support! I tried to make the guide as clear and concise as possible so there wouldn't be any confusion.

In my opinion, you definitely accomplished that, so again, kudos!