Server time (UTC): 2022-09-26 12:05

relationship to your character

I would like to ask a question to those who have role played for a while. Do you ever get really in to your character that you feel it has reflected on your own personality? Like it takes a bit to go out of character after playing or do you feel separated from your character? Maybe a strange questions but i would like to know your experience and your "relationship" to your character.

• Titanium

I always feel that my character is me. Other side of me but still. Lets take one of my characters. He was smoker like me. If you have played with character for long time you can see that its basicly copy of you. I had multiple occasions when i started acting like im ingame. Eating alot of carrot and many other things.

• MVP

My other character, Mick Thompson, was me 4 years ago. A young journalist that wanted to see the world. I think it's good that you feel this way as it makes you RP your character better!

• Sapphire

My character is basically an exact copy of me. Just 2 years older than me. Of course, there are some major changes that hasn't happened or anything but I have my morals and everything like that.

• Diamond

All my character are basicly me, Erik Mellström was my longest character. I used that character since the epoch days. I would like to play as him in SA but since there is no SFM in SA and a new lore i simply cant. its a lot more fun playing as yourself.

• Sapphire

Well, Masulii already told my answer to this thread.. :P

• Emerald

Recently i've been using my characters voice IRL randomnly without really noticing. It kind of freaks people out.

• Emerald

It is quite normal you feel affiliated to your character. Most of the time people rp somehting or as someone which they know. It's easier to rp something you are familiar with. Being yourself, or making decisions as you would do in real life is easier then roleplay some evil-satan-admiring-pseudo-vampire....

Unless you have experience in that kind of things in real life as well...

My character is a little bit me and a mostly fantasy. Since I started RPing I've always felt it's better to not bring your RL into the character. Don't get me wrong the personality is me, but my character is an alternate to my RL. Gaming/RPing is a way for me to get away from RL issues and RL drama.

RPing has been very therapeutic for me. I've been RPing since gosh 2001ish give or take a couple of years.

I remember starting and learning RPing to the game Star Wars: Jedi knight academy and after that it was Star Wars galaxies(from start to end of the game).

I've even try to get my wife into the RPing community but.... Unsuccessful so far lol. For my 14 year old son he is learning. Gosh he has a long way to go lol.

I always find that a portion of me goes into my character. So my character makes the decisions I would make. The only thing that I can say that is seriously different is that when I do accents, if I do them long enough I have trouble getting rid of it.

wow, all of you guys reflections are really interesting. Thank you so much. How do you feel about talking about your RPing with people outside of the community? Do people know you are RPing or is it something you keep private? It starting to sound like I am an doing some sort of research, which I am not :)

UU0udJ7.png

My character is polar opposite of me, it's hard to in character as a 17 year old female from Chernarus. When I'm a 17 year old male in America..

But for the rp'ers who rp as their own gender, I can see why. I did with my first character at least.

My character is almost like me.

I used to be a singer/songwriter that sang blues/rock. I'm 30 years old with a wife and daughter. I have a regular Canadian/American accent. I'm a friendly guy.

My character is a singer that sings country. He's 30 years old with a wife and daughter. He has a Country/Southern accent. He's a friendly guy.

So my character is roughly based on me with a few little changes. I'll say and do some things I would probably not in real life. I never really use my character voice in real life because he's english and I speak french all day here in Québec (Canada). So it's easy to avoid hehe.

When lying, including as much truth as possible helps sell the lie.

Playing a character is a lot like lying. So I often include a lot aspects of myself into my characters. The small changes I make end up causing a very different person to emerge, but the character is still a part of me. And I've played dozens of characters that anyone would be hard pressed to find any similarities with each other. But they're all me.

My character is very much a part of me. We have shared similar life experiences, if not identical. I think there comes a point in your life, the proverbial fork in the road, that you literally change your destiny. However instead of ending up murdering people in Chernarus, I ended up getting a Golden Retriever.

• Sapphire

I haven't role played for a long time... But I do want to share my character and me relationship.

I made my character, my complete opposite. Anything that I would normally do, my character wouldn't. I wanted my character to be different from me and see if I can do what I don't normally in real life. I like helping people, I really do it makes me happy seeing them happy, so my character is not allowed to feel that. They won't help anyone.

Guest Generic Name

I am nothing like my characters. The fun part about roleplay for me is portraying something you're not, getting out of your comfort zone, being challenged. The only thing I have in common with my character is my voice and moral compass. Everything else is made up, especially since my characters has dissociative personality disorder, so I get to be a lot of things in one package.

I've been role playing for a long time. My first character was me but with a different name and age. I didn't take into consideration how the past events of his life might change his ability to make decisions, or how his personality influences him. Since becoming more experienced I have realised that it is far more challenging and entertaining to create a character that is not similar to yourself. My most recent character, Felix, is very different to me. Sometimes you have to ask yourself, would Felix do this? No, this is Matt's decision. It has really helped me RP a realistic and effective character to look at the world through his eyes and not my own. He is not me and I am not him.

I roleplay as a whole nother person. I roleplay as if I come from where my character originated from and I look up some facts and stuff from their lifestyles. For example, I have been roleplayimg as a Russian or Chernarussian for a while now and I look up things they would do in real life.

Its hard to actually copy it since your not that person, but thats what makes it fun. I tried doing a regular american as what I am but I don't feel it is as fun as if I am someone else. But I don't know, thats what I like :D

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

Being relatively new to RP and all that I tend to base my character around me. Right now though I'm currently experimenting with my strengths and weaknesses in RP. I tried a Chernarussian, US, Asian and probably more in the future. Essentially trying to find my niche in this RP community.