Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 19:06

Allowed to have a map open on another screen?

Dusty

• Sapphire

I've gotten ~400 hours played in DayZ SA, however, I still don't know Chernarus well enough to play without a map open in a web browser (e.g. Izurvive, DayZ DB, etc.) Am I safe to play with a map open in a web browser while I play on any of the RP servers? Do I need to at least pick up a map from in the game to make my sudden map knowledge make sense IC? Or is it just fine to use the map, but not pick one up in game?

I apologize if my question was confusing in any way; it makes sense in my mind haha

Guest Generic Name

During the nod you needed a map in your Invent to be able to use a third party map as it was metagaming, this still applies I beleive

I don't think I've seen this being mentioned, I don't think it's metagaming to use an outside map to navigate, else someone who knows most of the map by heart like I do would be metagaming just by using memory to go around. I don't really think it can be enforced.

During the nod you needed a map in your Invent to be able to use a third party map as it was metagaming, this still applies I beleive

I don't think I've seen this being mentioned, I don't think it's metagaming to use an outside map to navigate, else someone who knows most of the map by heart like I do would be metagaming just by using memory to go around. I don't really think it can be enforced.

Your brain isn't a 3rd party map... I don't use maps because I have amazing ability to navigate around which I kinda think is only due to video games sadly lol (also applies to my real life I have to navigate everyone everywhere because I know how to read maps and shit and get around.) however I am sure that during the mod using a 3rd party map with out having a map in game was against the rules and still is in the SA I would assume. Same deal with a radio and TS back in the mod, metagaming to talk without one.

• Sapphire

Alright, thank you everyone for your help. I will at least try to have a map on me in game so as not to (potentially) break any rules.

It's more that it makes for some fairly unconvincing and uninteresting scenarios. I'd imagine the majority of people frowning upon third party use are only doing so to increase the quality of RP that you encounter.

"Where should we go?"

"The military base!/airfield!"

"It's this way" -Proceeds to cut through forests and fields for shortest possible route-

Generally it's out of context (aside from the "These are the best spots in DayZ to loot" context). I prefer to travel on the road. I might be an easy target but I'm more likely to run into people. Stopping through towns, finding other random survivors is much more rewarding than finding another AK.

• Sapphire

It's more that it makes for some fairly unconvincing and uninteresting scenarios. I'd imagine the majority of people frowning upon third party use are only doing so to increase the quality of RP that you encounter.

"Where should we go?"

"The military base!/airfield!"

"It's this way" -Proceeds to cut through forests and fields for shortest possible route-

Generally it's out of context (aside from the "These are the best spots in DayZ to loot" context). I prefer to travel on the road. I might be an easy target but I'm more likely to run into people. Stopping through towns, finding other random survivors is much more rewarding than finding another AK.

I definitely stick to the roads as well, even if I do have a map open. Partly because I get lost easily in the woods, and mostly because I think it's kind of bad RP that you somehow know exactly where to go when there is absolutely nothing that would give you any directions (in the woods. On the road is different with city signs and whatnot).

• MVP

Pretty much as people have stated :)

Yes, it is metagaming

Yes, it is VERY hard to enforce. But Personally I find getting lost kind of enjoyable anyway :D

/solved