Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 19:19

Policy On Connecting With A VPN?

I'll keep this short, I am often on public WiFi APs, many of which restrict access to things like Steam and online gaming. I'm largely mobile and don't play at home often. So I use a VPN to circumvent these restrictions. And yet, some of the communities I frequent don't allow VPNs. I also do this to keep my inbound/outbound activities private, being a privacy a oriented guy. I've never received a ban for this before elsewhere, but I still like to check on this beforehand, to avoid future trouble. So, I'm wondering if DayZRP has an official stance in regards to whether connecting via VPN is allowed. I just want to get this answered so I don't inadvertently get myself banned. A response from staff is preferred.

Thanks in advance!

This isn't official coming from me but...

I think you're out of luck bad, people have been banned before for using VPN's as it's easy to make a multitude of accounts just in case your account gets banned. Don't take my word 100% though I would wait for staff. Good luck man.

I have no intention of creating multiple accounts, I only use VPNs to get around network restrictions on various WiFi APs that I connect to. I may or may not be in violation of the spirit of my usage agreement with said providers, but that is solely between me and them. I always go by the rules in every game I play. So far I've gamed online via VPNs for years and I have yet to receive a warning/ban. I didn't see anything mentioning VPNs in the rules here, so I figured I would ask first. As long as I play by the rules ingame then I don't think it poses an issue. I seriously doubt that admins/mods pay attention to what IP a player is connecting from, said player would probably have to already be doing something suspicious for a flag to be raised. In any case, I have extensive Internet security/networking experience, making yourself totally anonymous and untraceable (or extremely difficult to track) really isn't all that hard.

• Emerald

Sadly we do not allow VPN's on our servers as it hides your true IP, I don't think this decision is going to change so unfortunately you are out of luck my friend:( Going to solve this as this is the only answer you will ever recieve for this question...

/solving

Sadly we do not allow VPN's on our servers as it hides your true IP, I don't think this decision is going to change so unfortunately you are out of luck my friend:( Going to solve this as this is the only answer you will ever recieve for this question...

/solving

@ Jack Bandit: Would it be possible to get a preapproved exception, if I can get my VPN provider to assign me a static IP, which DayZRP could use to identify me? My provider has this option. I can understand why you guys don't want the true IP to be masked, this is the best I can offer as a counter. Who would I contact to discuss this further, if possible?

• Legend

@ Jack Bandit: Would it be possible to get a preapproved exception, if I can get my VPN provider to assign me a static IP, which DayZRP could use to identify me? My provider has this option. I can understand why you guys don't want the true IP to be masked, this is the best I can offer as a counter. Who would I contact to discuss this further, if possible?

Your best option might be to Private Message Rolle regarding your question.