Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 18:49

A private form of reporting a player for breaking the rules (+proof mandatory)

Let me preface this, I know I'm new here, but these are just some opinions I have from what I have seen to be very successful reporting methods from other servers/games/websites.

I understand what purpose it serves to have a public forum for reports, with the different POVs, but I think a public forum for reporting players is a recipe for contentment and breeds flame wars like nobody's business. I've already had a character break his RP and go bandit on me based on the fact I contributed to a report about him.

A "his/her word against mine" kind of situation should never publicly enter a forum especially - if there's no solid proof (video or conclusive screenshot proof) I don't think it should be considered any kind of real report.

If there's nothing conclusive to prove a breaking of the rules then, unlucky. Harsh, but it doesn't waste your time and it doesn't turn into a sarcastic backing and forth-ing amongst children.

As an example, I can show you the reporting criteria for a server I used to play on for A3 Altis Life. Very simple requirements:

- Video/Screenshot Evidence

- 5+ minutes of video before the incident

- Volume must be heard

- Video must be clear

- Video must be on YouTube or similar service.

Obviously when logs come in oh happy days, but it would still save the mods the ballache of having to sift through them all and, of course, reduce the flame wars.

Let me know what you reckon, guys.

The Gent.

• Sapphire

The only reason this back and forth is happening (IMO) is because there are no logs. Back in the mod days the back and forth was a lot less. Also this:

I've already had a character break his RP and go bandit on me based on the fact I contributed to a report about him.

OOC hate should never translate to IC action.

The report system has worked very well in the past and is just hitting a bit of a bump without logs.

The only reason this back and forth is happening (IMO) is because there are no logs. Back in the mod days the back and forth was a lot less. Also this:

I've already had a character break his RP and go bandit on me based on the fact I contributed to a report about him.

The report system has worked very well in the past and is just hitting a bit of a bump without logs.

I just don't see a reason for a public report. It becomes a witch-hunt. If the person NEEDS to be brought in for clarification, maybe a PM from the mod now and then, but if there's no definitive proof, no one should be banned.

I mean, the logs I'm sure would be useful, you could tell who shot who first and all that kind of stuff...could you also tell if they spoke first and if so, what they said?

I think the logs are only useful for factual "this person shot this person" kind of situations based on my understanding of A3 logs. I doubt they'd go into enough depth so as to divulge whether VOIP was opening up a dialogue or just someone saying "boo".

You like the public forums?

Yeah well. He RP'd it this time at least. That's progress, right? lol

Guest Doug Quade

I have to agree. With logs (if they are 100% accurate) there will be no need for back n forth. Just a report, and a investigation. It will force people to be as on point as possible though. False accusations cut both ways :)

• Legend

Obviously when logs come in oh happy days, but it would still save the mods the ballache of having to sift through them all and, of course, reduce the flame wars.

The dirty little secret is that it doesn't take that long to dig through logs; provided the time given in the report is correct, the logs are just a ctl-f away. Collating the various types of logs; accounting for missed shots; huge, complex firefights, and a lot of other factors can complicate things, but logs are generally not the sticking point to solving a report. What takes the most time is forming a consensus among a sufficient variety and number of staff members to resolve things.

Agreed that keeping things out of the forums would reduce flaming, but honestly, most of the time it's good to have it in the open; especially if the community at large can comment openly. The wisdom of crowds can be profound.

The main reason reports are not handled privately is so that the accused has an opportunity to defend themselves publicly, and for others to come to their defence. Furthermore, by having report discussions in an open forum, the GMs and Admins have an opportunity to hear the vox populi and get a better feel for the zeitgeist, which ultimately results in a better experience for everyone.

Honestly, if people are nursing their butthurt to the point that it affects their OOC interactions with other members of the community, or metagaming to get revenge, then they really need to just grow the fuck up and not pin their self worth to a game they play. I don't say this very often, in fact I usually say the opposite, but ffs people, it's a game.