Server time (UTC): 2022-09-26 11:58

Character appearance?

• Sapphire

I recently saw a comment in a thread that made me realize that some people are very confused about how the limitations of the game's engine translate to the server, going so far as to suggest that claiming you have a unique face or unique features such as missing digits or scars is powergaming.

I wanted to clear that up.

First of all, everyone has a unique face in-character. It doesn't matter that the game's engine uses the same set of faces for everyone, from a roleplay perspective, each person is unique and identifiable by their facial features.

You're also permitted to have missing fingers, or have scars, up to and including horribly scarred faces, though it's a good idea if your character's scars are very prominent to make a note of it when you RP with someone, such as something like *Ducks her head a bit, trying to hide the large scar on her left cheek* or something similar, just so others know the scar is there.

So, to address any confusion, yes, it is 100% allowed to say you recognized someone's face if you saw it before, and it's not metagaming to use facial recognition in-character.

On that same note: If all you saw was someone's face, and you next encounter them wearing a mask, you cannot use their face as recognition even if you know it's the same person, so it goes both ways.

• MVP

Or tattoos!

But yep, all valid points.

• Emerald

Good to point this once more out, Lucia...

People are callign the card of metagamiung too frequently now.

All these points above, are valid.

And having scars, tattooes, ... add allot more dimensions to your roleplay.

It adds an in depth character build.

All logical points but the issue I can spot is that it if someone, who you've met before, changes clothes then it may be hard to recognise them again especially if they do not have a particularly distinctive voice due to the complete lack of character models. But it's something we must all deal with.

I recently saw a comment in a thread that made me realize that some people are very confused about how the limitations of the game's engine translate to the server, going so far as to suggest that claiming you have a unique face or unique features such as missing digits or scars is powergaming.

I wanted to clear that up.

First of all, everyone has a unique face in-character. It doesn't matter that the game's engine uses the same set of faces for everyone, from a roleplay perspective, each person is unique and identifiable by their facial features.

You're also permitted to have missing fingers, or have scars, up to and including horribly scarred faces, though it's a good idea if your character's scars are very prominent to make a note of it when you RP with someone, such as something like *Ducks her head a bit, trying to hide the large scar on her left cheek* or something similar, just so others know the scar is there.

So, to address any confusion, yes, it is 100% allowed to say you recognized someone's face if you saw it before, and it's not metagaming to use facial recognition in-character.

On that same note: If all you saw was someone's face, and you next encounter them wearing a mask, you cannot use their face as recognition even if you know it's the same person, so it goes both ways.

Ah I understand now this post has answered some questions for me thank you.

All logical points but the issue I can spot is that it if someone, who you've met before, changes clothes then it may be hard to recognise them again especially if they do not have a particularly distinctive voice due to the complete lack of character models. But it's something we must all deal with.

Well I suppose that's true to life - you see someone in a suit couple of times, you'd do a double-take on them in the street if you saw them in shorts and a string vest...