Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 18:01

Best New Advice for first timer?

I would like some advice from experienced players, and I have read the do not's. Haven't seen any advice on the recommended DO's. Kind of new to DayZ, I'm not new to role playing. But if you add them together I would say I'm going to be very inexperienced.

• Sapphire

I suggest going around the threads in this forum http://www.dayzrp.com/f-guides-and-tutorials

There might be something there that could help you. A lot of helpful threads. :)

• Sapphire

Best advice I can recommend is to leave your ego at the door, assuming you've got one. The number one problem we tend to see with bad roleplay and rule breaking is people with big egos. They don't like to "lose," and they interpret losing their gear to a bandit as a "loss" instead of seeing it as a roleplaying experience.

1. Don't take in-character actions personally. Just because a person's character is an asshole to your character doesn't mean that they are an asshole. They could be a nice guy roleplaying an asshole.

2. Don't get attached to gear. Gear can be replaced, and some of my most enjoyable roleplay involved being robbed, taken hostage, smacked around a bit, and then set loose with nothing more than a hatchet and a can of beans.

3. Don't worry about "winning." As mentioned before, the goal in normal DayZ is clear: Obtain as much loot as possible, and take it from others. Here, however, the goal should be different. Immerse yourself in your character, determine their long-term goals, and play off of those.

• MVP

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want, but if you are looking for role play, I can tell you, you have come to the right place. I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that enable me to give a great welcome to people like you. If you don't post in the intro thread, I will not look for you, but if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will welcome you to DayZRP."

Hello and welcome to the community. As long as you follow the rules you shouldn't go too far wrong. An unwritten rules in game is 'if you are unsure, don't do it', even if you die you can ask the community about the situation. Role play comes first, you can always re-gear later.

Best of luck. Read through the below links, carefully.

FAQ's

Rules

Community Rules

Guide Section

DayZRP Standalone Lore

Lore and Stories

Any questions? Find one of the orange peeps, join the helpdesk in TS or just ask the community.

• Emerald

I would recommend roleplaying some time with a character that was a civilian or something in those lines.

And not to take the bandit path to soon. If you want to, or feel like taking such a path then I would recommend looking around for bandit guides or even ask some RP veterans here on how to so.

Since most of the warning points people received were because they didn't fully grasp the ways of Bandit roleplay.

Also for creating a character I recommend reading this thread, as it is very usefull for you to know.

Lot's of people ask you these questions IG, and not having to improvise this will make you live into your character more.

Don´t go for any hardcore playstyle during your first weeks. Pick that later on.

Read the rules, several times. Be active on the forums to read up on the latest news and just try to ease into the game with no stress. Rushing makes errors bud. Welcome to DayZRP, but we are not going anywhere. Show that you will be an asset to us as we can be for you.

I appreciate the advice. I am going to try to play like I would be in real life, with moral decisions etc. Don't know if I will go the bandit route. But I do have a question. If someone holds me up, I don't assume everyone here just complies, I may defend myself if I am drawn on and held a gunpoint correct, this doesn't violate the KOS rules, and I hope if I witness a hold up I am able to act to save another survivor. I apologize in advance, the answer might be in the thread you mentioned...I haven't looked yet..

• Emerald

As a newbie my self I would like to say this, take it easy on us, every one was new once. I am still learning and getting a feel for how to play and how I want to play. But all the advice from the vets is greatly appreciated. Just be patient and have fun.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want, but if you are looking for role play, I can tell you, you have come to the right place. I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that enable me to give a great welcome to people like you. If you don't post in the intro thread, I will not look for you, but if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will welcome you to DayZRP."

Dis made me lol, more than it should of.

Even the profile picture fits.

All of the referenced information here is really good. The only thing I can think to add:

If you are bored, make your own excitement. Don't rely on someone else to do fun RP for you.

If you are really fun, and a boisterous RP'er, (add me as a friend then.) remember to hand over the RP to other folks and give them a chance to let their character shine. The most fun RP's I find are when everyone is involved in a unique way.

• Sapphire
  • Legend

I was going to cite Wheaton's Law, but then I saw all this other excellent, excellent advice. Do what Gikkel says, then internalize everything Lucia Moore said and LIVE that credo.

Oh, and what durstry says is huge too. Don't be the "Look at ME!" guy. DayZRP is a cooperative game. Don't hog the limelight. I know you're not that guy, OP, but if you're reading this, and you're that guy ... don't be that guy.

Listen to Lucia Moore, Rifleman, Prince, and Samaritan. The links they gave you are invaluable. But the thing I recommend the most, is read the lore. This is one of the more important aspects of playing on these servers. You can have the greatest role-playing in the world, and the best backstory, but if it doesn't fit the lore you will be called out on it.

The second thing I recommend is posting your ideas, and taking feedback on them. This can really help out, and there are a lot of helpful and creative people here that are plenty willing to help.

Last but not least, leash your dog while I am in town, and do not shoot the messenger.

Best advice is find a town quick and loot it, take everything and anything you can that will be useful before going any where try to establish yourself first with food and drinks, in RP weapons aren't as important but are at the same time.

Nothing is worthless you would be surprised what people are looking for and are willing to trade for.