Server time (UTC): 2022-10-02 21:42

Dynamic Events
ONGOING | 2022-10-02 19:30:00 (server time) | Ends in 42 minutes

Religion and Rules for Religions

So I am just recently started to get involved in the Family and their maker (I don't believe in there nonsense), and I was involved in quiet a few conflicts with them. I was just wondering if there are any rules regarding religion and torture. For example if I come across the Family in the near future and they start to force to believe in the maker (Their god) and become hostile, I am allowed to not believe in their religion and not to follow any of there ceremonies or culture. They do not have the right to torture be or do anything to me because of my religion. Correct? Because I feel like they have been acting very hostile towards me because I do not believe in the maker.

• Emerald

It would not be a valid reason to execute you definitely.

I don't personally have a problem with torture over this. You can always just lie and go along with it to avoid being harmed. Realistically, people force beliefs onto others, and an apocalyptic setting would be no different.

Now, this doesn't mean you can go around cutting people because they don't believe in some random deity, however if there is clearly thought and has solid RP put into it, such as the family does, then I don't see a problem.

The only thing I have a slight issue with is that it seems that you either join them or get tortured or killed, that seems kinda forceful, they have a guy named Thomas Jones who is a fantastic RPer and I would really like to RP with him again but it's not really feasible for my character without it turning hostile.

• Sapphire

Well Jezza.. I don't want to be "That guy.." But.. Ahem.. Take a look at the middle east.. :S

I understand what your saying. But your talking about real life here, this is a video game. I don't think because this is a post apocalyptic game it creates an excuse for people to go around killing people because they don't believe in their religion. And the people in the middle east who are doing this to other people are extremists and terrorists. And I'm pretty sure most of the people in DayZRP don't play as extremists. Also I don't like the idea of DayZRP and religion being mixed together. Some people may actually be offended by some of the things that are said IC and IG.

i dont like religion thing fits into apocalyptic world. i have no offense feelings about the family. i know good guys in the family. i just think, in an apocalypse people would not try to spread their non sense religion to others but they will just try to survive and improve themselves.

• Sapphire

i dont like religion thing fits into apocalyptic world. i have no offense feelings about the family. i know good guys in the family. i just think, in an apocalypse people would not try to spread their non sense religion to others but they will just try to survive and improve themselves.

Depends how they see the apocalypse maybe because of their faith they see it as gods wrath hence trying to get people to repent in hopes that god will call it off.

So I am just recently started to get involved in the Family and their maker (I don't believe in there nonsense), and I was involved in quiet a few conflicts with them. I was just wondering if there are any rules regarding religion and torture. For example if I come across the Family in the near future and they start to force to believe in the maker (Their god) and become hostile, I am allowed to not believe in their religion and not to follow any of there ceremonies or culture. They do not have the right to torture be or do anything to me because of my religion. Correct? Because I feel like they have been acting very hostile towards me because I do not believe in the maker.

I think most people fail to realize what CAN and can't be done to you in game. They can only kill you if you do not comply with what they want. They can NOT scar you or anything else without your permission. Sure they can rob you for failing to comply with them or being disrespectful. However anything that impacts your character in the long run (Feeding human meat, branding, feeding disinfectant etc) Cannot be done without your permission. I have known the inmates since before I joined Blackwood. They have never hurt me, robbed me or attempted to brand me. They asked me one time if I wished to partake in a ritual worshipping the maker and I replied a polite "No, I am not very religous." To which they replied fine, and proceeded to dance around the campfire. We all have good and bad role players in our group, and not all bad people are in the inmates. It seems though due to their popularity on the server they server as the common enemy. Humanity needs someone to hate, and they don't mind being hated. However make no mistake the core members of that group are some of the best roleplayers I have encountered in the community. They deserve to be respected, not hated and feared.

• Emerald

The Family does not do this though. They do not force anyone to believe in anything, they tell you about the Maker and then decide how they view you based on your response. They may be more unfriendly if you do not believe but they will not force you to believe or execute you

• Sapphire

Yeah man, I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't make sense.. When people have hard times, most of the time they turn to religion.. Although it is a religious text, the bible is a history book in itself.

People worshiped idols in hard times all the time, feared them, said things that happened were due to sin and God's Wrath. It's a hardcore role-play server after all.

It just makes sense to follow a charismatic man, preaching that they will be safe as long as they praise their "Maker", and they end up being safe in most instances, so that means they usually believe even more. Think of it like The Governor from the Walking Dead.

Just my two cents is all. Some people would say the real world isn't fit for religion in itself, but the truth is religion will continue to stay as long as humans walk the Earth.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

This wasn't meant to be a discussion on whether or not the family should be hated and feared, (I am perfectly fine with them, I love their roleplay), I posted this to find out what the rules are so I know for next time if I get into a conflict with them.

Yeah man, I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't make sense.. When people have hard times, most of the time they turn to religion.. Although it is a religious text, the bible is a history book in itself.

People worshiped idols in hard times all the time, feared them, said things that happened were due to sin and God's Wrath. It's a hardcore role-play server after all.

It just makes sense to follow a charismatic man, preaching that they will be safe as long as they praise their "Maker", and they end up being safe in most instances, so that means they usually believe even more. Think of it like The Governor from the Walking Dead.

Just my two cents is all. Some people would say the real world isn't fit for religion in itself, but the truth is religion will continue to stay as long as humans walk the Earth.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

im okay with them believing the maker. i just dont like em trying to impelement their religion to others. theyre kinda forcing them. i was with them 2 days ago. their father told a story about the maker. one of the guys said(non-believer one) i believe now, father said some words etc. and i said i dont believe. father said go into the back room and we will see. i think they were going to torture me but i managed to escape.

• Emerald

They deserve to be respected, not hated and feared.

And yet, all those reports pertaining to them..........and a lot squeaking through rules with very bandied words in those reports.

That's neither here nor there. People make mistakes, and like everyone else, will accept the appropriate punishment. To try and paint a picture of us being rule breakers and trying to squeak by is pretty offensive to me. Everyone in the Inmates tries there asses off when it comes to roleplay, so much that maybe some of them handled a rare combat situation poorly. Regardless, we've made an impact and have brought great RP to the server while not invading anyone's character progression that we come across. We always ask consent, and if it is not granted, we have plenty of other RP scenarios in our arsenal to make the RP continue smoothly. I find your comment ignorant to say the least.

Thought I'd mentioned this quickly, because of your spiritual or religious preference you will sometimes spark debate or outrage IG sometimes, especially with those that believe in Christianity/orthodox which was greatly spread around south zagoria till the outbreak.

At the end of the day, if your going to debate with someone IG be ready for things if they go south, Good question though :P

Personally I love the RP around the Followers of the Maker. It brings chaos, fear and an enemy, different from the zombies, to hate.

About the question, I think its easy. Not much different then normal initiation from a hostile. You can talk your way out of it, you can go with it and just pretend/lie, you can accept your new religion, you can shoot your way out of it.

Its all up to what your character can do.

My in game response to "If you don't believe in the Maker you are an enemy" was that I don't believe that radical religions should exist and if i hear that they'v done something bad, i'll come and send them back to their Maker.

^^ That's a tough decision though because we would be losing out on a lot great RP. Also racism and sexism isn't allowed cause it will offend people, I think religion is the same thing and just because it's RP, doesn't mean it doesn't offend someone.

^^ That's a tough decision though because we would be losing out on a lot great RP. Also racism and sexism isn't allowed cause it will offend people, I think religion is the same thing and just because it's RP, doesn't mean it doesn't offend someone.

/agree 100%

To be honest for all their "faults" the Makers enhance the server imo, without them it wouldn't be so interesting.

One thing though, the group has got very big and you can have an encounter with at little group of them and later one with another few guys and neither group would know but they are still allies so that can cause confusion, perhaps they may not really even know each other? (for instance, a player relaliating against "the makers" for something that another "maker" did)

You can always run off.

• MVP

I think we should just ban religion because it causes a lot of conflict and arguments just like politics.

I think the issue here is people confusing religion and cults.

The makers are a cult, not a organised religion that already exists. If people were to RP a christian extremist clan or such staff would take a very different stance since it can be seen as offensive and such.

Worshiping a made up entity in a made up cult is significantly removed from the issues a real world religion brings

I think that Religion, Racism, Sexism, Politcs are very part of a Roleplay setting. If you want to create a world which feels "real" then you have to add "real" things. And all these things do exist and have impact on all of us. Of course dont OVERDO Racism and Sexism (!!!!), you can say "uh...its a woman. Its weaker" and thats sexism too but wont hurt anyone. Racism happens too... we have various Nations in this country and racism will happen "Oh you are russian, you are always drunk". But its hard to not over-do it since we all react diffrent to each topic. People also should remember that people say things IG+IC that is not matching the oppionion of them OOC. Seperate OOC from IC. I once played a religious character and I am not religious as player (OOC).

I dont see a Problem in that what the Inmates do but I dont think they can kill someone just because he dosnt follow the religion of them, beeing hostile is the decious they make.

It's a hardcore role-play server

Uh...hardcore? Did I miss something? This is "normal" roleplay...if we hype it a bit.