Server time (UTC): 2022-10-07 03:26

Password specific servers to increase stability?

Grihm

Just thought of something.

Now this will be in conflict with people jumping on any server that has an open slot, i know, but bear with me. (bear with me... björna med mig O_o Swedish logic )

If 100 people had the password to Server 1, 100 people had the password to Server 2 and 100 people had the password to Server 3.

Each server then has basically X 2 as many players as it can hold, so with that in mind, would that in any way lower the amount of stress the server are having and also lower the crashes perhaps? Right now many are spamming the refresh buttons to get a slot, but that must take it´s toll on the server some how.

Is this something that in theory might work?

I´m not saying it should be done. I am merely asking if that could ease off some tension and server stress. Like i said, IN THEORY could this work.

Of course it will not be done but i am just trying to more accurate understand the server stress and how things affect it.

• Legend

We currently have 18,896 active accounts. While there may not be that many whitelisted that's still a lot of people spamming the server and yes its going to take its toll unfortunately I believe its unavoidable.

• Emerald

17,000 members and you want only 300 able to play? The reason we have 3 servers is due to the demand for them. the reason we don't have more servers is because they are expensive. This idea is terrible and could lead to locked servers that are mostly empty throughout the day and no one can play. this is a terrible suggestion.

but still i appreciate any suggestions.

17,000 members and you want only 300 able to play? The reason we have 3 servers is due to the demand for them. the reason we don't have more servers is because they are expensive. This idea is terrible and could lead to locked servers that are mostly empty throughout the day and no one can play. this is a terrible suggestion.

but still i appreciate any suggestions.

Please see what i am saying. In theory. I´m not asking you to lock out 16k + people. I am asking about the mechanics of the server and the amount of traffic + the spamming of people. It´s not a suggestion, it´s a question!

• MVP

*Cracks knuckles*

Right :D

Limiting the amount of players per server would, yes, increase stability. We would still have crashes but we would have less than currently.

However as many have pointed out, it simply isn't feasible.

/solved

• Emerald

It just simply wouldn't work. What if you want to play with your friends that don't have the password for the server? Not to mention that passwords could be easily shared, how would one moderate that? The last problem alone is enough to make this infeasible.

• MVP

Thank you Tam for that, and as said people... it´s not a suggestion but a question! That´s why it is in the questions thread =)

On a similar note - the devs are looking into a queue system which would relieve stress from the servers significantly. Heres hoping it ends up being made!

Thank you Tam for that, and as said people... it´s not a suggestion but a question! That´s why it is in the questions thread =)

On a similar note - the devs are looking into a queue system which would relieve stress from the servers significantly. Heres hoping it ends up being made!

That would be great indeed. The server can only take so much pressure and a queue system is a fair as can be i guess. Better that than 17k people pressing refresh all the time.

That would be cool to see.