Server time (UTC): 2022-09-27 00:50

The Chance to Appeal and No Chance

Recently, I was thinking to myself about the ban appeal system and was wondering as to why some people have no chance to appeal and some do have a chance. (Disregarding hackers) The reason behind this is that from what I know, EVERYONE deserves the chance to appeal.

But sometimes, people are banned and are stripped from their rights to appeal. What is the judgement behind these cases? Are they that bad that they don't deserve the chance to appeal? For example, I will bring up the case of Kevurmo who was banned involving the actions of one person who dragged him down and ended up with him unable to appeal and left in the dark.

Shouldn't he deserve a chance to appeal and to actually gain some insight as to why he was banned and the valid reasoning behind it? But anyways, that is one case of the removal of ban appeal rights taken away. Enar21 was banned as well from this outcome, and was later given the chance to appeal which was fine, but was it necessary that it took that long?

I raise the question here and in hopes of getting some opinions, should people with the removal of appeal rights actually get the right to appeal? I mean, even if it is denied or granted, as I said they should still get an insight or at least an answer to their ban reason. Apologies if this thread was made before, thought I would bring this discussion up. Hopefully I can get some answers to this as this is a question I thought I'd bring up.

• Sapphire

Second chance

I found this. If you scroll down you can see what Rolle and Caesar had to say about something of this manner.

I think that some people do deserve a second chance, but not if they deliberately break rules. The severity of their punishment is dependent on the admin, mod, etc is reviewing the case. We have to remember, these guys are the ones that take their time and effort to build a good community and a good image for us. So, if we've done something stupid and disregard the fact they are doing what they can to be fair, then we don't deserve to get a say. We already had a chance to clean up our act.

Community rule #4: Staff Authority:

Servers admins are authorized to use any means necessary to catch rule breakers as long as does not affect the community, gameplay, role play or community image negatively. Server admins are authorized to override any decision made by lower staff ranks or community vote.

Server admins are allowed to punish players for actions not covered on this rule page, as long as they consider the action or players behavior to be damaging to the community, gameplay, role play or community image.

Server admins decision can only be appealed directly to Rolle by providing clear decription of the event along with explanation why the decision was not fair.

Staff members receive staff strikes for not following the staff guidelines, bad behavior or other actions that may harm the community. 1 staff strike equals a 50% warning and the warning does not expire automatically. If one receives 2nd staff strike the person is automatically and permanently kicked from the staff

• Emerald

In the case of Kevin I think he should be unbanned as TheLimited brought him down with enar as well. Enar apparently had an attitude problem throughout his time here, but still got a chance to appeal. Kevin was only banned a few times for in game things only during his time and never had an attitude problem. He only ever made honest mistakes, so IMO he deserves at least a chance to appeal. He should at least get the whole final warning like the recent unbans.

• Sapphire

The reasons for getting an appeal range from the staff not having all pertinent information at the time of the sentence, providing a new argument or more detailed reasoning behind your actions, or explaining why you did what you did in an attempt to demonstrate that you didn't understand the ramifications of your actions but wish to prove you have learned your lesson.

In situations where someone willingly and knowingly broke the rules, there is no lesson to learn, no extra information to provide, and no alternative viewpoint to express.

Take Hero and Jessa, for example, two players we were glad to get rid of. They had been implicated in several reports, and in the end, they chose to go out in a blaze of glory by simply KOSing as many people as they could. They knew what they were doing, they knew they were breaking rules, and they just flat out didn't care. That sort of behavior doesn't deserve an appeal.

The reasons for getting an appeal range from the staff not having all pertinent information at the time of the sentence, providing a new argument or more detailed reasoning behind your actions, or explaining why you did what you did in an attempt to demonstrate that you didn't understand the ramifications of your actions but wish to prove you have learned your lesson.

In situations where someone willingly and knowingly broke the rules, there is no lesson to learn, no extra information to provide, and no alternative viewpoint to express.

Take Hero and Jessa, for example, two players we were glad to get rid of. They had been implicated in several reports, and in the end, they chose to go out in a blaze of glory by simply KOSing as many people as they could. They knew what they were doing, they knew they were breaking rules, and they just flat out didn't care. That sort of behavior doesn't deserve an appeal.

Exactly, you have now changed my opinion around regarding these types of bans. Obviously I agreed prior, but what I am trying to get at are people who are banned in waves. Such as the actions of one person, brings down multiple others who are banned.

Ofcourse if someone willingly goes out in a blaze of glory and tries to create as much havoc before they are banned never deserve an appeal.

I know my opinion won't mean much as I'm one of the involved.

I thought it was really unfair when I didn't get the chance to appeal my ban. And also during that time I never really got a proper explanation of why I was banned. It was first after a month I got the information of why Rolle decided to ban me. Some days later I was also allowed to appeal it and was very happy to get that opportunity.

My appeal got denied but some days later it was overturned. I did get a final chance to prove myself here on dayzrp and I'm happy the admins gave me this chance.

I aggree that Kevin should also be allowed to atleast ban appeal it. I never really understood why (atleast me and Kevin) never were allowed to ban appeal our actions. But, I'm happy now and I hope Kevin will get the same chance as I got.