Server time (UTC): 2022-10-07 04:09

Using chat to loop hole killing people?

King Box

• Emerald

just thought i'd bring this up, me and 2 other people went down to zelenogorsk to check out the military base, we came from green mountain, met a dude their and we talked in voice chat for a good 30 seconds. then as we were planning to leave he must of typed in chat:

"alright drop your weapons in 10 seconds or you will be shot"

about 10 seconds later one of us saw the message and asked who said that and then there was fire, i think i was the only one who made it out alive, i don't know though the other might have just fled away from the green mountain area in general.

now what i'm saying is is that if you can talk through a mic should it be allowed or at least not frowned upon to then try to rob someone via chat, with the most likely intention to catch them off guard at the last second so you have the right to shoot them? (meaning if it took them 10 sec to see that chat, considering they would be looking out for that in voice chat, seeing that the person used a mic before? yes or no? because i feel as if this is a scummy way of trying to rob people.

If he had a mic in the first place, the "need" for text initiation is none existent. Since he did speak to you, the usage of this is IMO very bad and borderline violation since he can force you to either drop the gear or get killed while he is hiding. I think you should file a report about it.

• Emerald

If the person was right next to the people and did the text initiation after already talking for a bit through voice, I feel like it would be abuse of game mechanics and I'm not sure but I thought someone got a ban for doing something like that in mod.

• MVP

i had a very similar situation like this once... before i was accepted into this community though

i had just been sitting by my pond when someone decided to join me for a casual chat (voice) and in the middle of our conversation someone obviously in the vicinity began text chatting saying they were going to kill us both if we didnt get down on the ground... yet there was not another person in sight. we looked around and at each other confused, but in the end.. it was indeed that person who i had let my guard down to and turned my back to whilst looking about for this apparently non-existent intruder.

i do think it is extremely sleazy and deceptive of a person if they attempt to do this and should NOT be allowed as it does seem to be abuse within game mechanics. not to mention a complete violation of RP. i think id know if it was my new found friend holding me up if theyd vocally said that instead of text. though since i hadnt learned his name or they could have even lied.. it happened

I have nothing against textrp and even think its more conventional, but alot that can be done by text could be done by voice. There shouldn't be ban for robbing someone in text unless it was purposely bad and like that. And I think people got banned in the mod for using textrp to rob people around roadblocks while they drove by.

• Emerald

it is legit but its ruleplay

• Emerald

It is allowed to rob someone with text, yes. It may be a dirty tactic but it's allowed. Some people even copy+paste initiations.

I would say it's more of "lazy RP". Did he speak at all?

Yes, yes he did.

If there is a text initiation (not everyone uses voice, could be cause guy plays as girl and not to break immersion, so imo text should always be valid) and you don't read it, then that's kind of your own fault. You should always be aware of the chat lines in the bottom corner.

But I also want to add that anytime I used text initiation, I always keep in my mind that they might be not paying attention to the chat. So, I observe their behavior in the seconds after I initiated in chat, if they don't look like they actually read it, then I type something again in caps (Such as: DO WHAT I SAID, NOW!).

If they still don't respond, then I shoot them. I don't use the 10 seconds rule just to kill them at 11 seconds. I give them a maximum of 10 seconds to respond in any way to the initiation. For instance, if they start running after 1 second, I shoot them immediately. The 10 seconds rule is there so that the ones who are initiated on have time to acknowledge the initiation, not to give them 10 seconds to take positions or run away. This is why I never say "you have 10 seconds to", because imo that is ruleplay. You know you have to give 10 seconds because of the rules, so you type "10 seconds". That is bad RP, your character doesn't know about the rules xD

It's a dirty tactic that I personally classify as abuse of in-game mechanics whereas people have different opinions about this. Realistically, if someone were to rob you, you would audibly hear the pitch, tone and direction of voice. Direct chat has something like a 50m radius in voice depending how loud you can speak into the microphone and I believe text has a radius of 20m. This unfair advantage means you can make anonymous initiations without any consequence, over walls and without revealing your direction and in complete silence.

• Sapphire

If he had a mic in the first place, the "need" for text initiation is none existent. Since he did speak to you, the usage of this is IMO very bad and borderline violation since he can force you to either drop the gear or get killed while he is hiding. I think you should file a report about it.

Some people like both Iv encoutered people who say the initation as well as type it in text chat so they can minimise the chance of you not receiving it considering the voice often messes up on the SA it is far safer to use text and avoid a report as from experience it always goes through.

And i believe for vehicle initiations text is a requirement because the vehicle is so loud VOIP is often not heard.

it becomes a problem when they pretend to be someone else through the text because you dont know their name in game like the example mentioned by buddy

• MVP

Im confused, what's wrong with text initiations? And do note that me myself actually havent initiated on another soul for like ...forever.

If anything a text initiation is clear-cut and to the point whereas a voice initiation can be confused and garbled, at least when it comes to my own experience of hearing them. Half of the voice initiations I've heard have been so confused I didnt hear their intent properly.

Text is there, you cant miss it. If you did miss it then frankly, what Misty said: That's on you. The text chat practicly throws the message in your face.

I get why people have their preferances but trying to make their preferance the only option by enforcing it through a rule when its really not necessary? That's just silly.

Im confused, what's wrong with text initiations? And do note that me myself actually havent initiated on another soul for like 18 months.

If anything a text initiation is clear-cut and to the point whereas a voice initiation can be confused and garbled, at least when it comes to my own experience of hearing them. Half of the voice initiations I've heard have been so confused I didnt hear their intent properly.

Text is there, you cant miss it. If you did miss it then frankly, what Misty said: That's on you. The text chat practicly throws the message in your face.

I get why people have their preferances but trying to make their preferance the only option by enforcing it through a rule? That's just silly.

The issue is, you can be talking to someone over chat, like "hey buddy, wanna loot together"

>"suree!"

Then about 10 minutes into you, you see this:

Random name in direct chat:"Do not move, drop your weapons, or you will be shot"

You turn to your friend

"Golley, we're in a pickle, let's run for it!"

then that 'friend' just shoots you because he was the one who initiated on you.

• MVP

Im confused, what's wrong with text initiations? And do note that me myself actually havent initiated on another soul for like 18 months.

I get why people have their preferances but trying to make their preferance the only option by enforcing it through a rule? That's just silly.

The issue is, you can be talking to someone over chat, like "hey buddy, wanna loot together"

>"suree!"

Random name in direct chat:"Do not move, drop your weapons, or you will be shot"

You turn to your friend

And this couldnt apply to voice? Does voice initiations -really- offer enough clarity for you to be able to immidiatly identify who's doing it and from what direction and distance?

Maybe I have poor judgement and tracking of sound but when I've been initiated on(and its almost always been through voice), its precisely as you say: You have no idea whatsoever who's doing it. That's just how it is. Unless you're staring at the mouth of your friend I dont think there is a whole lot of difference, except that in text your range is reduced but it comes across with more clarity.

>"suree!"

You turn to your friend

And this couldnt apply to voice? Does voice initiations -really- offer enough clarity for you to be able to immidiatly identify who's doing it and from what direction and distance?

Maybe I have poor judgement and tracking of sound but when I've been initiated on(and its almost always been through voice), its precisely as you say: You have no idea whatsoever who's doing it. That's just how it is. Unless you're staring at the mouth of your friend I dont think there is a whole lot of difference, except that in text your range is reduced but it comes across with more clarity.

Yes but you can recognize the persons voice you've been having normal RP with for the past 10-20 minutes

So going from a thick Chernarussian accent through VOIP

then seeing a random name with no indication of an accent type, and you can't tell the person's voice b/c of accent, the only way to counter this is to check the persons pulse, remember the name, and if you see that, just shoot them.

But I for one do not enjoy checking pulse, maybe it's because I put too much trust in other players OOCly, or I'm just stupid, but if I was talking to a guy through VOIP and his "accent" just "changed" by text initiation, it just ruins it IMO.

• MVP

Yes but you can recognize the persons voice you've been having normal RP with for the past 10-20 minutes

So going from a thick Chernarussian accent through VOIP

then seeing a random name with no indication of an accent type, and you can't tell the person's voice b/c of accent, the only way to counter this is to check the persons pulse, remember the name, and if you see that, just shoot them.

But I for one do not enjoy checking pulse, maybe it's because I put too much trust in other players OOCly, or I'm just stupid, but if I was talking to a guy through VOIP and his "accent" just "changed" by text initiation, it just ruins it IMO.

...unless you've had a text conversation with him too. ;)

Anyway true enough, I can see the complication in your example. But going by one's accent doesnt seem a fool-proof reason to jump to the assumption, at least not to me. Depends a bit on how much it sticks out I guess. And im not certain on how this works as a general example.

All I know is that I've never had a problem with text initiations(at least when they've been legit, of course), and I have had some -major- issues with voice initiations. I suppose im acting on that experience. I do believe however there are potential problems with both, and that neither are remarkably better then each one. Under that opinion and experience, it seems weird to outright outlaw one of them.

I think it's an abuse of the rules+ingame mechanics. It wouldn't work if chat stayed on screen forever. It wouldn't work if you could see player names from more than 1m away. It wouldn't work if direct chat appeared over the speaker's head to indicate direction and who said it. Instead whoever mixed text and voice intentionally abused those mechanics to cause confusion and possibly to check the boxes to gain KOS rights without anyone noticing.

Since at times initiations have not come through properly text initiation is not a bad idea. They are better for things like initiating on groups and required for vehicles.

However, they could have enforced the initiation with some voice, added to it in voice, making sure the initiation was understood and received incase of server lag instead of nothing.