Server time: 2018-08-16, 15:37

Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Lessons From My First Few Days in DayZRP

I would just like to showcase some of the events of my first few days playing on the DayZRP servers, and what I learned from them, in the hopes that you can get a few informative pointers before starting on DayZRP yourself. I had given an extremely detailed back story for my character, but there were other in-game aspects that needed some practicing first...

Voice

I typically gave my characters on the standard servers a lot of impromptu detail and background stories to enliven my playing experience, but giving a voice to your character is a bit tougher than giving him deeds and needs a lot more work. Do you use your own voice?, a deeper voice?, a drawl?, or quick talker?, or an accent? older/younger? gravely or worn out?

I played around with a lot of voices for my character by the way I interacted with the environment, also giving me a great chance to actually start looking at some of the amazing details I hadn't noticed about DayZ graphics(ie look at some of the decor/paintings in the houses and comment on how atrocious (or not) the wallpaper is). There are memorials in some towns like a great WW2 one in Novo-->how do they make your character feel about them? Say what he would be thinking out loud with the voice you want to use. Now is the time to practice putting emotion into your voice, don't just hate the wallpaper...HATE the wallpaper, it will seem silly, and it will be, just draw the emotion back a bit until you feel you are just inside the fine line between silly and realistic. It is understanding these extremes of realistic and phony in your voice set where you will get a wider vocal range for your character.

When you finally decide on a voice, the next pitfall is falling out of it. I had chosen a slightly horrible Russian accent which would devolve to a southern Georgian accent rather easily. Being able to practice my voice for about an hour using 'internal dialogue' before meeting someone, it helped to stop these lapses, so you should definitely practice your voice before going in game so you have it down pat. Also, try singing a song with your new voice, if you can accurately capture the range of the song then you are on the right track. I found that certain speeds and tones really threw my accent off by a wide margin. Major Tom is a hard song to sing in a horrible Russian accent.

Also, I totally forgot to use my new voice when I met my first few people in game...haha oops!...too excited to finally be able to talk with random people in-game than to just enter RDM like what would happen on standard servers, and was stuck with my own voice for a while as I couldn't figure a way to RP the sudden accent change that would have taken place to get me back in character...so don't forget to use your new voice when you meet someone for the first time!

Clothing

Since this is a RP server, you don't have to always go the l33t camo gear, ghillied, M4, super soldier 'perfect build' geared up from Heli crash sites route that is more useful on standard servers, it is a real option to choose clothing that makes your character much more interesting.

I had the run of Novo, and found a lot of different types of clothing, weapons, and food items. This allowed me to give a few quirky details and little nuances for my character, such as he hates potatoes!?(they were everywhere, just everywhere!) And is neither a ball cap person, nor a cowboy hat person, though he will try those on for fun. I was VERY lucky in finding some highly selective gear for my character that fits perfectly with my back story (police hat!) and was thrilled.

Which led me to thinking, that when selecting an 'outfit' for your character, if it is one that you won't want to change too much in order to help define your characters style, then I feel it is important to limit the rarer items to only a few pieces of your set so as to obtain the look a lot easier when re-gearing (ie, the same Police hat which I lost when my character reset for probably logging in too quickly after a server restart). That I am now begging the friends I meet if they could keep an eye out for one and that I would likely trade my backpack and all contents within it if they could find one for me!

By limiting your weapon selections as well, you define your character even more...Is your character really proficient in every type of firearm ever invented? Or more likely has gone hunting with a Lee Enfield growing up, and maybe had some pistol training in police school...Now don't be too extreme, I am sure anyone given the situation can handle a shotgun or rifle, but try to pick a favourite that your character knows from his past and would be better at using.

Trip Down Memory Lane

Been to Dubky in your backstory? Saved someones life at Topolka Dam? Well, the best thing to do is head there, and memorialize the incident with a little re-enactment, or reminiscence. Define the incident by surveying the landscape and using key structures to flesh out your recollection of the incident.

Doing this will allow you to portray a much more realistic backdrop to your written story when telling other people about these key events of your characters past. It is also a great chance to include other areas around the event that could have an impact on your story that you wouldn't have known about without being on location. Is there a deep ravine where your character could have hid in? A fallen tree that helped to block his/her attackers chase?

It will also help with your general knowledge of the area so that if you have to go there with your group, you can confidently lead the way because your character has lived there all his life, or you can take the shortcut to the next town over because that was the route you used to escape your would be bandits, if you lived in a town then you can take your group to your old home and rehash some details about growing up there while your group waits for the rain to stop.

Your First Real Conversation

So, you have just met someone who isn't trying to rob or kill you and you both head out and start talking. Now I know you have a great back story that you spent a lot of time writing and researching...just don't blab it all out too fast!!! It will feel forced, and it will be hard to go back later to flesh out the details when further different questions are asked. It will also lead to that awkward silence much faster (awkward silences WILL happen).

So use this chance to start expanding on what you have written. Don't just say a city if asked where you are from and leave it there, you can also mention whether you lived there all your life, or if you moved around a lot, was it a nice country place or an urban/suburban city environment. It sounds like a simple task, but like defining your voice, it will be easy to stumble between too much information and too little, I just wish to stress that you need to slow down the pacing of your answers in order to be able to expand upon them.

It is also okay to be guarded with some of your past, if you are going to be playing with people, and get to spend a lot of time with them, dropping some new info a few days after meeting them that reveals more about your character can get a real emotion out of the person then just being up front about it all on the first day. In a role playing game that can span years, your information that you bring to the environment is essentially your currency, spend it wisely.

I hope this has helped you in your quest to better create more depth and persona for you character, and I hope that it brings more fun and experiences in your days on DayZRP...hope to see you out there!

Cool article. I can imagine that sticking with an accent that is not your own would be difficult. I'd probably find it too easy to accidentally slip out of it or start pronouncing things wrong.

another good tip i can add for getting your voice right when adding such an additional layer to your character is to record your voice (windows has a sound recorder for easy use "open start menu, all programs, accesories, and sound recorder.) and play it back to yourself. Some people may have noticed when you hear a recording of your voice it sounds different to you then when you talk, this is because there is vibration from your vocal cords and to you your voice will sound deeper but when you listen a recording that element isn't picked by your mic.

Maybe it's just me though :P i find that when i do this i have to change a few things to get the voice just right.

Guest Senna1337

The most Basic Stuff explained into every little Detail

I give it a [video=youtube]

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback and props, it really means a lot. I am also planning on doing another set of issues I have faced in the next week or so as well :D

Now as for Yokai!

I can't RP a different voice at all :( It just sounds bad ... and trollish :/

Trust me when I say this, people want to hear your bad voice, they want to hear any voice really from what I have been reading up on the forums. We RP in a Russian predominant area of the world, and there are some complaints that there are too many non-local accents. There was even some lamentations about bad voices being better than no accents, so even with a bad accent, I recommend continuing to use it. And not using an accent leads to some real annoying assumptions with the people you meet, causing you to have to RP a lot of explaining.

Just out of curiosity, which accent are you trying to go with? Are you doing too much at once, like deeper, Russian, crazy, and raspy? Maybe try limiting the effects you are adding to it. Or try imitating some famous peeps with accents. Even just adding a few affectations to your normal voice will go a long way, and you could maybe build from there.

And did you practice singing a song with your accent(it really helps)? But if you find you are really, really bad, and don't want to use it, I suggest building into your story that you spent some of your schooling years in North America, England or whatnot and this greatly changed your accent so it might be a bit off. But please don't give up on it, we need this in the environment!

I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback and props, it really means a lot. I am also planning on doing another set of issues I have faced in the next week or so as well :D

Now as for Yokai!

I can't RP a different voice at all :( It just sounds bad ... and trollish :/

Trust me when I say this, people want to hear your bad voice, they want to hear any voice really from what I have been reading up on the forums. We RP in a Russian predominant area of the world, and there are some complaints that there are too many non-local accents. There was even some lamentations about bad voices being better than no accents, so even with a bad accent, I recommend continuing to use it. And not using an accent leads to some real annoying assumptions with the people you meet, causing you to have to RP a lot of explaining.

Just out of curiosity, which accent are you trying to go with? Are you doing too much at once, like deeper, Russian, crazy, and raspy? Maybe try limiting the effects you are adding to it. Or try imitating some famous peeps with accents. Even just adding a few affectations to your normal voice will go a long way, and you could maybe build from there.

And did you practice singing a song with your accent(it really helps)? But if you find you are really, really bad, and don't want to use it, I suggest building into your story that you spent some of your schooling years in North America, England or whatnot and this greatly changed your accent so it might be a bit off. But please don't give up on it, we need this in the environment!

I already have a bad accent so that's good :3

I'll be sure to force the accent sometime and play with words.

Btw, thanks for the help with the NLR and KoS, got whitelisted and having a good time !

Guest Doug Quade

Great post ! I personally dip into my skills of being a tabletop roleplayer for over 20 years. I try to stay in character at all times, and accents are always a WIP.

Its a fine balance using your voice... Generally I tend to use my own but haven't a heavy British accent can be a pitfall somtimes

Really nice thread and it was enjoyable to read. The more you play the more easy things like these get. We all started at some point! :)

Really nice thread and it was enjoyable to read. The more you play the more easy things like these get. We all started at some point! :)

I agree the more you RP they mor easier certain things come to you.

this is a great article and it should prove to be very helpful. My character is from Australia so it shouldnt be too hard to make up an australian accent (im from america)

Sign in to follow this