Server time (UTC): 2022-01-23 15:09

[The KOS rule] as it relates to taking a hostage

I realize that I am very new to the DayzRP community and I'm in fact not even whitelisted yet, but while applying to be whitelisted I noticed something that I felt could be altered to help others in understanding the hostage/victim taking aspect of the KOS rule.

The acronym KOS as far as I know stands for kill on sight, in other words shooting at a fellow player without making contact or without proper reason as stated in the rules. The exact rule

2. Killing on Sight

Definition

Killing another player must always be justified by the role playing and the actions specified in this rule; there are several situations where you can kill another player:

You have to make contact with the target before initiating a hostile action against it. You must make your hostile intention clear and unambiguous and state each demand before you can harm the victim(s) for non-compliance.

You can take revenge for a hostile action taken against you for 2 hours from the time hostile action was taken, as long as it does not conflict with the other rules.

You may only share KoS rights when you meet both of the following conditions:

You are within 500 meters of the hostile situation at that time

You were recently apart of the involved parties group.

Those who control the freedom of their victim(s) must do everything in their power to keep their victim(s) alive and in relatively good health, unless they have good in character reason to execute their victim(s). Otherwise the victim(s) may only be executed by the bandits if they do not comply with demands or if they pose a direct threat to them.

Examples and extras

Bandits have a duty of care to their victim(s) unless execution is justified and role-played, when needed you are expected to:

Leave the victim(s) with a realistic chance of survival.

Providing sufficient food and drinks to allow the victim(s) to survive while in your care and for a reasonable time after.

Defend them from external threats (like zombies).

Always confirm your target; if uncertain about a players identity it's better to hold fire than to risk a KoS.

When initiating on vehicles it is required to use both voice and text chat to avoid misunderstandings.

What NOT to do

Do not bait other players into situations where you can take revenge for their actions.

as it relates to KOSing other players makes perfect sense, but the rule also brings up some rules which I feel do not actually relate to KOSing. The precise parts

Those who control the freedom of their victim(s) must do everything in their power to keep their victim(s) alive and in relatively good health, unless they have good in character reason to execute their victim(s). Otherwise the victim(s) may only be executed by the bandits if they do not comply with demands or if they pose a direct threat to them.

Examples and extras

Bandits have a duty of care to their victim(s) unless execution is justified and role-played, when needed you are expected to:

Leave the victim(s) with a realistic chance of survival.

Providing sufficient food and drinks to allow the victim(s) to survive while in your care and for a reasonable time after.

Defend them from external threats (like zombies).

relate to taking a hostage/victim and in fact have very little, almost nothing, to do with the act of KOSing other players. Recently my whitelist application was denied for the

reason:

"The following KoS explanations were incorrect or not sufficiently explored: Your responsibilities towards a victim/hostage."

Now I'm not suggesting that the rules towards hostage taking should not be a rule or that I accurately depicted this aspect of rule 2 in my application (I did not), yet the question on the whitelist application asked specifically about KOSing. I understand that my application was rejected, because I failed to include this portion in my explanation of the KOS rule and that is understandable. I would like to make a suggestion, which I believe will help other players to understand the rule better and prevent others from making the same misinterpretation of the KOS question on the Whitelist application. I would like to suggest that the KOS rule be separated into two separate rules, one relating to revenge for hostile actions and KOS and another relating to hostage/victim detaining and care taking.

Now I understand that I am very new to the community, but I'd like to ask for anyone reading this to do so in an unbaised manner and take it for what it is, a suggestion intended to help the communtiy as a whole.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and feel free to leave a response below. I respect all criticism but please do so with the intent of helping improve my suggestion and not with a malicious purpose.