Server time (UTC): 2022-09-27 02:39

QUESTION External map

Gold5

• Sapphire

I wouldn't think so. But it is kind of metagaming... sort of. But here's the thing, if you don't know where you are going, just use the map.

• Sapphire

It could be considered meta-gaming but you shouldn't get into trouble. For instance if you are RP'ing a character who knows the area like the back of his hand, but ooc you don't, using mapping of some sort on a phone or tablet is enhancing your roleplay in my view.

There are no rules that state you can not use third party applications. It is up to each individual's taste. Myself, I do not use any third party applications. However, if someone RPs that they are well knowledge on the area then I feel it is acceptable to use while OOG. Light RPers will use it as an overlay even if they do not have a map in game. Whereas, heavy RPers will only use the map provided IG.

I think it is as much against the rules as using third person is, so go ahead I guess.

Well, using 3rd person can be against the rules, if you use it to see over walls or such things.

Using a third party program / website to have a Chernarus map is not a bad thing but still, be careful how you use it. Finding places to loot / settle / meetup with you friends / group is okay. Using it to plan an attack on a point, well... I'm not that sure if it is a rule-breaker, to be honest, as wa can justify this by having a map ingame, but I already saw some claim that, and I'm still waiting to see their map IG (as there is maps of parts of South Zagoria).

• Diamond

While it is a light form of metagaming, it is still metagaming. With craftable maps in game there is no reason that would benefit roleplay why you would use a third party map unless you were trying to look at the looting hotspots.

I feel that like any role-playing game, its just a reference tool. Now if you are playing a tourist that has never seen the country then I would use it sparingly, but for those of us playing people that have lived here all our lives, I am pretty sure we would have a good idea as to where the cities and most of the towns would be.

This holds especially true for those that haven't been playing the longest, but are playing people from the area. Say you are from a particular town, you are probably going to to it inside and out, and how could someone new do that without a map?

While it is a light form of metagaming, it is still metagaming. With craftable maps in game there is no reason that would benefit roleplay why you would use a third party map unless you were trying to look at the looting hotspots.

I strongly agree with this statement. However, it is not an official rule. In addition, it would be impossible to enforce.

• Sapphire

Yeah it's a topic for debate amongst light RP'ers and RP purists as to weather or not you should use it, which is down to personal preference.

But as already stated it doesn't break any rules.

• Diamond

Metagaming has always been hard to enforce since the mod days. The fact remains that any third party is strongly discouraged because of the widespread use to look up chopper crashes, what spawns where etc.

Quoted from the rules

Using information posted on the forums, acquired in TeamSpeak or any other similar way to your advantage.

With a map like dayzdb/IZurvive you would gain an unfair advantage of lootspawns, chopper crashes and with the common availability of craftable maps these sites would be considered metagaming.

I feel that it is not related to third-person at all. Third-person is a feature in the game which is allowed. Databases and maps are third party applications. These two should not be compared.

It is more to the fact of meta gaming information, using third person to see things you would not normally see in real life is just the same as using a third party application to find your way in a game.

Example 1:

You are lost and have no in-game map to help find your way around and you are new to the map so you might open the steam overlay or bring out your fancy phone and pull up a map to help you. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

Example 2:

You just got robbed by some one/people and find a new gun to use and kill said robber/s, you follow him/her/them on the sly looking over walls and hiding in places you would not possibly be able to see at the angle you are at and use this information to your advantage. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

Example 2 continued:

You are in defilade at a camp fire talking to some one, using alt to look around you see some one approaching at and angle you should not be able to see them coming from and act on this information whether it be mentioning it or standing up and getting a position. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

• Sapphire

As I said in my first post it could be considered meta-gaming. However, it remains impossible to detect or enforce. Using it to gain an advantage such as finding loot spawns etc, is a matter of personal integrity. Using it to navigate the map I see no problem with

I feel that it is not related to third-person at all. Third-person is a feature in the game which is allowed. Databases and maps are third party applications. These two should not be compared.

It is more to the fact of meta gaming information, using third person to see things you would not normally see in real life is just the same as using a third party application to find your way in a game.

Example 1:

You are lost and have no in-game map to help find your way around and you are new to the map so you might open the steam overlay or bring out your fancy phone and pull up a map to help you. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

Example 2:

You just got robbed by some one/people and find a new gun to use and kill said robber/s, you follow him/her/them on the sly looking over walls and hiding in places you would not possibly be able to see at the angle you are at and use this information to your advantage. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

Example 2 continued:

You are in defilade at a camp fire talking to some one, using alt to look around you see some one approaching at and angle you should not be able to see them coming from and act on this information whether it be mentioning it or standing up and getting a position. This is technically meta-gaming but has no way to be tracked.

Yeah, if you put it that way I can see your point. They both could be forms of meta-gaming. I would label third-person infractions as abuse of game mechanics though. However, I can see how it could be classified as meta-gaming also. Good explanation.

Yeah, if you put it that way I can see your point. They both could be forms of meta-gaming. I would label third-person infractions as abuse of game mechanics though. However, I can see how it could be classified as meta-gaming also. Good explanation.

A bit of a two for one there ain't it, could be one or the other or both.

• Sapphire

Is it against the rules to use a 3rd party map such as DayZDB?

A. Technically, yes his is meta-gaming but cannot be enforced or proven that an advantage has taken place. To that end, it is an acceptable practice no matter how distasteful it may seem to others.

/solving