Server time (UTC): 2022-10-06 17:11

Recording with GeForce Shadowplay

Guest Dalton

Recording with NVIDIA GeForce Shadowplay

Recording your gameplay can be quite intimidating at times. Fraps or Dxtory aren't always the best options for everyone and honestly aren't needed for the average gamer. Shadowplay is a great alternative to popular recording software. It allows you to record with a minimal FPS loss, it's near lossless. Recordings are a great resource to have for reports. The best evidence is always unedited video in your POV.

If you have a GeForce GPU then you have access to Shadowplay. Shadowplay needs a 600 series or higher, 4GB of RAM and Windows 7 or 8 to operate. It's super simple to setup and use. So let's go through what you need to do!

Step 1: Download, install and open GeForce Experience

Downlaod and install from http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

RpsDBtd.png

Step 2: Navigate over to Shadowplay

CUaGvnl.png

Step 3: Settings

Turn it on and make sure audio is set to in-game & microphone. The other settings are up to you. Shadow & Manual mode will allow you to start/stop saving and save the last 5-20mins of gameplay. Shadow time is how far back it will save the recording in shadow mode. Shadowplay is always recording but not always saving, this will allow you to choose how much it saves. Quality is up to you depending on how much memory you want to spare for recordings. Visually the difference from low to high is minimal.

lQPn4Sl.png

Step 4: Navigate to Shadowplay Preferences

1dOYCw0.png

Step 5: Preferences

Switch microphone over to Push to Talk, change your push to talk to what it is in game and set where the files are being saved. The other settings are up to you. You can play around with all the hotkeys, etc. but microphone preferences are the most important.

nCUfNLB.png

Step 6: Using Shadowplay

This is the easiest part. Once you have Shadowplay turned on and configured it will start whenever your game opens. Remember it's always recording but not always saving. By default you can start saving with alt+f9 and stop saving by hitting alt+f9 again. Using shadow mode with alt+f10 will save the last 5-20mins depending on what you set it to. The indicator will light up green when it's saving in manual mode and a green arrow when it's saving in shadow mode.

Happy recording!

• Sapphire

This is quite the good guide. I have shadowplay but don't use it. Good on you!

Great guide you provide, than can help a lot of people provide some footage for the reports, or even for their stream / Youtube channel!

I have a question though : the software will work on AMD GPUs?

• MVP

I've been using shadowplay to record all my video's and I love it! The quality is great and it's easy to use.

Very good guide! Easy to read and easy to understand!

Thank you for this. 10/10

I liked shadowplay for it´s simplicity, but it did end up in me having a report video with no sound. If anyone has a solution to that i would be grateful.

For some reason, shadowplay changed my settings several times and disabled some settings i had to manually change back again to get the sound to work. Any ideas what the problem might be?

• 2 weeks later...

Shadowplay is great, mostly in games like DayZ where lots of unexpected stuff happens.

I got a question though. Is it possible to record the audio oif your mic on a seperate track? I can't seem to find the setting for it...

Shadowplay is great for it's simplicity. It currently doesn't support separate audio recording. You'll have to use other software for that.

• Diamond

The only thing I hate about it is that you can't record in borderless window mode afaik. For DayZRP reports its probably not the best tool to work with, but everything else is just working perfectly :)

I prefer Dxtory, use it for anything Arma related :)

Dxtory is fine but shadowplay is a lot easier to setup and it has almost no frame drop.

For DayZRP reports its probably not the best tool to work with, but everything else is just working perfectly :)

Why is it not the best for reports? It's simple to setup and use plus it has nearly no frame drop unlike other recording software.

• Diamond

Ehm, maybe i should have said it differently, I just don't like that you don't have as many options with shadowplay than with dxtory, therefor I prefer dxtory (which I dont use anymore) for dayzrp recordings. Really doesnt matter what programm you use imo.

EDIT: But at least shadowplay always works and you cant break the programm by changing certain settings :D

Great to see a guide on Shadowplay, have been using it lag free for a long time now.

I'd say though that there is a significant difference in the quality settings. I personally go for the max settings by ramping both the FPS and bit rate sliders up to full (60fps, 50mbps). It makes for far clearer recordings that are a quarter of the size of any Dxtory recording, even at the max settings.

I personally use the F9 and F10 keys and remove Alt to make it a little faster and easier to press. However in DayZ Standalone, be sure to remove the corresponding key binds for taunts. I've found that my Shadow button is the same as the 'slitting throat' animation. Could be a problem haha

Last thing, you can also check the Allow Desktop Capture box to record absolutely anything on your desktop, so that gives it extra compatibility with those who play games in windowed mode.

One caveat would be that because it's in BETA it is prone to some bugs such as causing graphical glitches, recording without audio or simply not working at all. From my experience over the past year these have become far less common but they do still exist.

I prefer Dxtory, use it for anything Arma related :)

If you have an Nvidia GPU then Shadowplay trounces Dxtory in almost every aspect. As I said above, a quarter of the file size, identical quality to Dxtory with regards to bitrate, no frame drops (even on my 660ti), 60fps and the ability to record things that have just happened as well as manually recording at any time. The only downside is the inability to split your mic and in-game audio unless you record with an external audio program.

Yea i have Shadowplay its awesome, good for capturing footage if you miss it, just press Alt+F10 (my hotkey,oh gotta change it , dont want to facepalm :P)

But you need an Nvidia card.

Actually not ,AMD also has the H.(sth) encoder,and amd also has some program called AMD gaming evolved, i think,But shadowplay is better

• Sapphire

I had been using it from late 2013 till recently. It worked wonders and I'd forget it was recording all the time, so I have some fairly awkward situations saved on the old hard drive. How ever I like running DayZ SA in windowed mode, if it could record games like that I'd never ever leave it but sadly it can't because of the way it's designed. Apparently.

I had been using it from late 2013 till recently. It worked wonders and I'd forget it was recording all the time, so I have some fairly awkward situations saved on the old hard drive. How ever I like running DayZ SA in windowed mode, if it could record games like that I'd never ever leave it but sadly it can't because of the way it's designed. Apparently.

I think you can record it in windowed actually, there is a setting to let it record your desktop :D

• Sapphire

I think you can record it in windowed actually, there is a setting to let it record your desktop :D

Yes I tried that last week, but my monitor setup is too weird for Shadowplay to handle so it changed the resolution of both monitors horribly. I have my TV on the wall above and to the left of my monitor, and I guess that's just to complicated for it to handle. Plus, I don't like having it running when I'm not IG.

• MVP

i keep seeing OBS being mentioned but have never heard of it... time for a google! :S