Server time (UTC): 2022-10-05 17:52

RPing the restarts

So, I've been wondering how to handle restarts. I've heard many different opinions IC about this, ranging from:

"Oh man, I just passed out. What happend?"

"Sorry, I tripped and just caught up to you guys"

"Woah, you just materialized there!"

"I lost you guys, sorry"

This is a bit confusing, and some people just ignore the fact that a restart happened completely. How do you guys work out restarts IC?

I choose to ignore, wait for everyone to log back and proceed to where we left off. I think if people mention anything, specially some of the lines you said above, would kinda ruin it for me haha. Just kind of, not completely but whatever works :) as long as it's realistic and in an RP manner.

When it says "1 min to restart" I just say I'm going for a nap/lay down for a bit and I'll catch up with them later. I then log out and wait like 5 mins or so and log back in.

Of course when we are lucky enough to actually see a "restart in 1 minute" message which is one out of a thousand hehe, then saying let's all relax for a minute before we go, regain your energy everyone, you will need it. Something like that, then it fits nicely :)

Other than that it's unexpected crash, relog and take back from where you left off :)

That awkward moment when you're having serious Roleplay and the server crashes and you can't get back in.

Honestly one of the things I hate the most about Dayz.

Just don't mention it. I hate the nap card, way too random.

"Shouldn't we head that way? Might be something over there"

"Ya, lets do it"

"Hold on, i'm going to take a nap in five minutes".

"What?"

See what I mean?

• Emerald

At least when I run into Sylvester Todd we just roleplay it as if we fell asleep and we just woke up. We yawn a bit and since I often log in before him I always tell him about how he's not much of an early bird. Sometimes I just ignore it and others I also try to do the sleeping thing. Whatever fits in the situation!

Whenever it isn't a crash and it says the time till restart, about when there's a minute left I go OOC and say "//we should probs log". Just easier and more simplistic.

• Sapphire

Unless somebody mentions something like "Hope y'all slept well" I usually ignore crashes and/or restarts. If somebody mentions some sort of explanation just play along.

It keeps the RP smooth and flowing, despite the crashes. :)

• Sapphire

"Shouldn't we head that way? Might be something over there"

"Ya, lets do it"

"Hold on, i'm going to take a nap in five minutes".

"What?"

See what I mean?

So much this ^^^^^^^

happened way too much in settlements..

"GUYS! GUYS! WE'RE ABOUT TO GET ATTACKED!!!"

"Hold on, going for a quick sleep first"

Or..

*casually running along looking for buildings to loot*

"Fuck, im tired. Im going to sleep, cya"

• Emerald

Gonna reply, just gotta nap first.

On a more serious note, I tend to ignore it. If someone else does not, I try to play it off to the best of my ability. If we're travelling I might say I stopped to check something out or stopped for a breather, if we're scavenging I'll say I saw something and got sidetracked, if we're resting I'll just pretend I dozed off or zoned out. Other times, I will prepare for it, and 5-10 minutes before a restart I'll say I'm gonna take a walk or something like that.

Plenty of ways to do it.

To me, that depends of the time / weather ingame. I use that as an indicator, basiclly. If we log back in at night, when we crash with daytime, I put a random reason (most of the time nap / captivating reading). But if the weather and time setup is still the same, I'm agree to just continue where we were forced to stop.

• Emerald

i usually travel alone, but when i am with someone and a restart happens we almost everytime just completly ignore it, but if anyone says anything to come with some sort of explanation i have the '' my ghillie is so hot that i needed to sit and have a drink'' card which is nice and works for me

We ate a zuchini that we were calling a green banana before a restart yesterday, so we just made out that the 'Green Banana' was faulty and knocked us all unconcious. was pretty funny because for a while after when the new restart happened or someone D/C'd we kept attributing that it was the banana still taking effect.

Normally I ignore it, when I am at a Village I go to take a Nap before the restart. If someone mentions he fell unconious or something I play along.

You know these situations where you simply lose track what you where about to do? Thats how I feel about DC/Restart/crashs of the server ^^

I think it depends on the situation sometimes. I your with a group of people you know well you can generally ignore it and continue on.

If your with a group of unknown people travelling somewhere, when you get back in suggest you take a break there and wait for people to come back in then tell them your resting up for a minute.

overall best just to ignore them and continue as you were before restart unless it affects the rp such a hostage situation and then just find a sensible way to rp it such as "sorry think I'm a bit dehydrated my head started to spin, what happened?"