Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 13:18

Implementing a Bounty board

Is a bounty board something that you'd like to see?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• MVP

Note: This is more to get an idea of possible interest, rather than layout all of the rules and guidelines. If this were to gather enough attention and support, then I'd be happy to come up with a more detailed proposition.

So, after a few people have made mention of "bounties" and "princes on heads" during the last few days, its got me thinking that this is something that could really have a lot of potential.

The basic concept:

Pretty self explanatory: A bounty is placed on someone's head by an individual or by a clan, with a reward offered for completion (item, vehicle, clan promotion?). The bounty can be on a single person, a group of people, or possibly even an entire clan.

The bounty holder can set a time frame on the bounty when it is posted, and is responsible for following through unless the bounty has been terminated ahead of time with sufficient notice given.

This would open up many avenues as far as in-game roleplay goes. Bounties could be places against someone who stole your favourite rifle, robbed your clan leader, KoS'd you, interrupted your robbery, or even for placing a bounty against you previously? It would also allow room for bounty hunters both freelance and clan based to chase bounties either as individuals or maybe even in groups and then split the spoils as they please.

Implementation:

The way I see it, this could be set up in two ways.

Option 1: A single thread regularly updated, where you post a bounty in the form of a template, and it is added to a listing of active bounties on the main post. Bounty holders confirm with the OP when a bounty is completed and it is then removed from the main thread.

Option 2: A dedicated subforum where new threads are made for each bounty which would obviously be easier to handle as it wouldn't require constant updating from a single person. Once the bounty holder confirms completion the thread is then closed.

Confirming bounties:

The first complication that comes to mind would be confirming that you've carried out an execution on someone to claim the bounty. If you can get them to confirm their identification by text chat before execution then great. However, if someone were to refuse and let you kill them for not following orders, I can think of no other way to confirm other than kill logs. Obviously, server staff don't have an infinite amount of time to help with things like this. So this could be an issue, but perhaps there would be another way of confirming a kill that I simply haven't though of.

Anyway, as I said, just trying to gauge possible interest as I think this is something that could really add another dimension to DayZRP.

• MVP

Loving it, subforum would be better.

Also, study body and screen cap :D

Oh yeah, I forgot about that as I never do it T_T

And yes, subforum would be much better, but as a new feature without an idea of how much it would be used, I thought Rolle may prefer to trial in a single thread, and if it got big enough then it could have its own subforum.

• Server Manager

Code a custom made board, similar to what the ClanCP listing looks like. Could fetch the data from the database like "last seen" and the skin of the guy. People could add bounties that would be shown on the list with prizes etc. Other users could sign up for a "hunt" and the bounty creator could mark it as complete. The bounties would be sorted by the amount of people signed up for the hunt, creating a "most wanted" list in itself.

• MVP

Well there ya go, you know the capabilities of the server and the site much better than I do :D

Sounds great though, especially the idea of having it sorted to represent a most wanted list.

• Server Manager

Theoretically, it would also be possible to automate the rewards. To create a bounty you'd have to be offline. Then when creating the bounty you choose item(s) from your backpack as the reward. It is then removed from your inventory. When someone completes a bounty and posts a screenshot you mark the hunter as the bounty winner and he can claim his reward on the bounty page later.

I see how that could be done from coding perspective, but it would require extensive testing and new code written :) I like the idea though.

• MVP

Like a lot.

• MVP

I suppose in that case, it depends on what you and the dev team are currently working and and how it could fit into your list of priorities.

If it wasn't to be implemented into the site for quite some time, then I still think a forum based solution could work, even if only a temporary solution for an extended period of time.

Guest Alpha

It's a really good idea, but will the rules still apply when we're talking about a bounty? Let's say a group of men encounters some guy who's on the bounty list, and they are certain it's him and they see him from a distance. Do they still have to make contact with him/her before taking him/her down or can they disregard the rule and snipe him/her from a distance or something? Because you know, I respect all server rules, but in all honestly it is slightly odd that you have to make contact with your bounty before taking him down, or am I wrong here?

• MVP

Sounds like an excellent proposition.

It's a really good idea, but will the rules still apply when we're talking about a bounty? Let's say a group of men encounters some guy who's on the bounty list, and they are certain it's him and they see him from a distance. Do they still have to make contact with him/her before taking him/her down or can they disregard the rule and snipe him/her from a distance or something? Because you know, I respect all server rules, but in all honestly it is slightly odd that you have to make contact with your bounty before taking him down, or am I wrong here?

If you are 100% certain then of course you should be able to shoot.

If you kill the wrong person then you get done for a KoS and deserve the ban. That is the risk that you would probably have to take.

• MVP

This thread is full of win !

Bounty system ( like Rolle described ) sounds cool.

I would like though to reject the neccesity of 'contacting' the 'wanted' dude.

If somebody puts a price on your head ( could be also a variety of dead/alive delivery) and you have signed up on the list, you should be able to gun/chloroform the 'wanted' without contact.

• Emerald

This thread is full of win !

Bounty system ( like Rolle described ) sounds cool.

I would like though to reject the neccesity of 'contacting' the 'wanted' dude.

If somebody puts a price on your head ( could be also a variety of dead/alive delivery) and you have signed up on the list, you should be able to gun/chloroform the 'wanted' without contact.

This actually goes into the thread of what I was asking the other day, about the revenge being extendable to someone else. Though with the bounty system, It could become more difficult as time goes on, and as always, they can disguise themselves. Setting ambushes becomes even more important for identification purposes. Because I honestly see a lot of KoSing innocents based upon this.

There would have to be a specific rule set JUST for bounties, like an exception to certain rules or something along those lines.

Confirming bounties:

Drag body to trade post.

imagine being robbed for a dead bounty, as opposed to your gear.. hehe.

edit: if only you could place bodies / unconscious survivors in cars eh?

You can put unconscious people in cars I think.

someone please confirm?

combined with not having to initiate with chliroform, the opportunities for hardcore game breaking griefing are endless..