Server time: 2017-08-18, 06:48

Sign in to follow this  
Brabbzy

I'm back, I'm confused and I've got an idea.

Question

Brabbzy    0

I'm back: Hey people! I have returned after, like, 9 months off! What's new? How's the wife? You still doing that thing you told me about with the tennis balls and used vegetable oil you were getting from that southern fried chicken place down the street? Is that why your hair's that colour now? Man, we've got so much to catch up on.

I'm confused: So it seems like a lot has changed in my absence. I feel a little out of the loop. I've rummaged through the forums but there's still a few things I'm unsure about. Maybe you can help me with the following conundrums (in bullet point format)...

• A lot of the recent threads I'm seeing on the forums are focused on SA, and on the home page all the servers are listed under "Standalone Servers". So are the RP mod servers still around and populated?
  • With the lack of mod support on SA at the moment, does the community focus on SA not detract from the Faction and Settlement/Faction Stronghold aspect of the RP mod experience, which played a huge part in the enjoyment of RP, at least for me personally?
  • Is the SA lore and character knowledge considered separate from the mod servers? So should I adapt my back story (particularly in terms of timeline) depending on which version i'm playing on, and if I meet someone on the mod server, do I know them on the SA server?
  • Can you teach me the tennis ball vegetable oil thing?

I've got an idea: So, fresh start, fresh character. I want to make it fun and interesting though, both for myself and the people I bump in to. I'm thinking of playing an elderly man, hard of sight and hearing and showing signs of dementia. Barely even realises an apocalypse has occurred, mistakes literally everyone for his grandson and calls everyone "Billy", tells bandits to watch their language and complains that back in his day kids weren't allowed to play with guns.

Haven't landed on a name yet though, so I'm open to suggestions. Something simple and typical of a crazy old man. I kind of like the idea of "Grandpa *First name*" or "Old Man *Surname*". All suggestions welcome.

All jokes aside, I am not making light or making fun of dementia. My Grandma is 82 years old and suffers from severe dementia and my Grandad died in October of last year from Parkinsons at the age of 87, during the later stages of which he suffered from dementia. Despite this, every time a saw him or see her, they're absolutely delightful and very fun to be around. When they'd ask a question three times, or mistake me for my uncle (32 years older than me), they'd roll their eyes and we'd all have a giggle. That is the essence of the character I intend to portray. I don't intend to offend anyone.

8 answers to this question

Major    406

Mod is deded. Lack of interest and player traffic. Much sadness, many feels. Take a look at the new lore in lore and stories.

Yeah SA offered whitelist servers and the mod population suffered due to this. SA isn't so bad after you play it for a while. The new lore and 'fresh' outbreak makes everything feel new and the possibilities seem endless. Hope you have fun playing on the SA servers.

Cid    332

SA has changed a lot of things. Before I start going into your questions, welcome back!

Bullet Point 1: The mod is dead, as Diggy said. There still may be a final RP event, though it seems like that might be fading away as well.

Bullet Point 2: There are a lot of player hubs in which people go to, for example Green Mountain being the main one as far as I know. There are people there every day, and a lot of them. Is there a possibility of there being official settlements when modding becomes available in a long time? Maybe, but no one can be certain. We'll cover that when we actually have the tools to do it.

Bullet Point 3: SA lore started around 2 weeks after the infection hit, while the mod lore was around 2 years after the infection. The lores are VERY separate. You can read up on the current lore and broadcasts here: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-dayzrp-standalone-lore-the-broadcasts

Bullet Point 4: Maybe?

Does this answer your questions?

Tamaster92    14

You can also find the full official lore here -

http://www.dayzrp.com/lore-sa

I would suggest reading it, it's a great story and really helps explain a lot

Brad    155

-snip-

Haven't landed on a name yet though, so I'm open to suggestions. Something simple and typical of a crazy old man. I kind of like the idea of "Grandpa *First name*" or "Old Man *Surname*". All suggestions welcome.

All jokes aside, I am not making light or making fun of dementia. My Grandma is 82 years old and suffers from severe dementia and my Grandad died in October of last year from Parkinsons at the age of 87, during the later stages of which he suffered from dementia. Despite this, every time a saw him or see her, they're absolutely delightful and very fun to be around. When they'd ask a question three times, or mistake me for my uncle (32 years older than me), they'd roll their eyes and we'd all have a giggle. That is the essence of the character I intend to portray. I don't intend to offend anyone.

The character should have A nickname like "Pops" or "Bones"

Shiro    118

I would say, go for it! but remember always have fun!

/ Marked as solved. But not closed.

Davos    5

I dont know you, but let me tell you, welcome back mister! I love the character idea, and if you end up sticking to one particular place for that old man, I will be sure to come by and drop off mail for him as often as I can, just for the role-playing.