Server time: 2017-10-22, 15:47
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Cranium Tip

Just call me "Mackie"...

Cranium Tip    0

My name is Jerry Macklin. My friends always called me "Mackie". I was born and grew up in the southern United States before moving to New York City after college. I was an up-and-coming fashion and rock photographer before all of this. Before I ended up here.

We had all been seeing the news reports about something crazy going on somewhere in Southern Zagoria. No one really knew what was happening. And honestly, it seemed a million miles away from my life, so I hadn't paid a great deal of attention to the details. I had work on my mind.

On the morning of Friday November 1st, 2013 I flew into Paris. I was there to shoot a fashion show, some new clothing line I didn't give a shit about. When that was over I had to rush to the airport to catch a red-eye flight to Tokyo to work a big rock show the next day. I boarded the plane with the intention of sleeping all the way to Tokyo. I never made it.

I have no idea where we were when we first hit the storm, but I was jolted awake by the turbulence. From here I really don't know what happened. I can only make assumptions. All the pilot told us was that they were experiencing some technical difficulties and to remain calm. But the best I can piece it together they must have lost some of the navigation or flight controls. We definitely veered off course. I believe the pilots lost radio communication as well, but I can't be sure. All I know is we were flying in that storm for what seemed like forever and things were definitely going wrong. I could see the panic on the few other passenger's faces. Then it got worse. There was an explosion. From here it was total chaos, chunks of plane flying off, I could see the water gleaming in the moonlight out the window, and it was coming fast. I guess the pilot tried to guide us into the water as gently as he could, but before we made it the back half ripped off the plane. We tumbled into the frigid waters. I barely got my seat belt off before the section with my seat went completely underwater. A cushion from a broken chair was floating nearby, I grabbed it. I could see the coastline a short distance to my right, and what appeared to be some kind of war ship to my left. Were we shot down? Where the hell was I? It didn't matter, I was freezing, I had to move.

I could see a big fire in the distance. I started paddling toward the shore as quickly as I could. I kept looking around for anyone else from the plane, but I never saw anyone. I can only assume the worst. I hit the shore soaking wet, freezing, and exhausted....but otherwise free of injury. It seemed like a miracle. I headed for the fire, which turned out to be a burning car. The couple buildings I saw nearby had broken windows and looked to be either looted or outright abandoned. Something had went down here, and it had to be recently. There were bodies on the ground. I hit up what appeared to be a clinic. I needed dry clothes, I needed to figure out where I was. I grabbed some papers on a desk. Everything was in Russian. Fuck. I found some dry clothes in a locker and grabbed whatever supplies and food were left scattered around. I saw a stack of alerts about the new mystery virus on another desk. Was I really in the middle of that shit? What great luck. There was a lot of blood on the floor. I packed what I could carry in a sack and got out of there as fast as I could.

I headed inland with a flashlight and found a farmhouse a few miles back in the woods. It was empty. I decided to stay there for the night. I didn't know what to do, I was in shock. I found a working radio and there were still some reports coming through, but I don't speak Russian, so they were meaningless to me. I ate a cold can of beans and tried to get some rest.

The next morning I saw what turned out to be a UN Peacekeeper wandering through the woods. She was injured. She spoke English. Thank God. She filled me in on where I was and what had been happening. I just thought I was lucky to survive the crash, then I realized I had officially landed in Hell. My worst fears confirmed. I brought her back to the farmhouse and patched up her arm. Looked like a nasty bite. She explained how the safe zone they had set up was overrun with infected. They were attacking everyone. I shared some food with her and gave her a blanket. After talking for a while, she dozed off.

Later that afternoon something happened to her, she jumped up from bed. She was different, she was ferocious. I had to bash her skull in to keep her from eating me alive. That was my official and personal introduction to the infection. The first of many.

I've killed at least 200 of those things in the months since. And 2 men. I'm really not proud of that, but it was me or them. They raided my farmhouse and tried to take it over a few weeks after the crash. I was shot during the encounter but it went clean through. It must have missed anything vital, that's all I can figure. It healed over time.

I have been lucky I guess. More lucky than most. I met a few friendly strangers as I traveled further inland. But all were lost to the infected, bandits, or injuries over the following months. I'm currently alone, I've scavenged and set up a little camp in the woods. It's safer here. Less infected to fend off, less bandits to worry about. It's now been 43 days since I last saw another human being that wasn't infected.

I'm thankful every day that my dad made me join the boy scouts when I was young and for all of those family camping and hunting trips down in Tennessee and Georgia. I've found myself to be surprisingly adept at living off the land and handling a rifle. I guess it's just like riding a bike.

At any rate, I find myself growing incredibly lonely. I need to find more survivors. I need companionship. I don't want to turn into a madman alone out in the woods talking to the rabbits. There has to be something more out there, to fight for, to look forward to. Something more than just getting by. I hope to find it.

Dégolas    0

I liked the story (a photographer ? That's some nice opportunity for a photo story ;) ) but i have just a little question: November 2013 ? I thought the zombie apocalypse in Chernarus began in November 2014 according to the lore... (now i don't know if i missread the lore or if it's just a typo in your text)

Cranium Tip    0

I liked the story (a photographer ? That's some nice opportunity for a photo story ;) ) but i have just a little question: November 2013 ? I thought the zombie apocalypse in Chernarus began in November 2014 according to the lore... (now i don't know if i missread the lore or if it's just a typo in your text)

Yea, November 2014 should be the date. This was the focus of a lot of confusion for me, solely because I misread the lore originally. For some reason my brain turned the 2014 into 2013, which made sense and lined everything up with the release of the game. I wasn't aware until the other day that DayZRP just switched over to standalone in recent months.

I even asked a question about it in the forums, got an answer, and still managed to have a massive brainfart with the date. I was a lost and confused lad, but I have now seen the light. I literally just fully realized my mistake yesterday. Which led to me going back to the question I asked, and everything finally clicking.

Better late than never.

And yea, I hope to get a chance to do some cool photos in game and make a thread. It's just hard to get those really epic shots in a natural way, with people always moving around, without breaking the RP I figure. Not really sure the relevance or acceptance of trying to RP having a camera in game. Would that even be acceptable?

------------

Also, thanks for pointing that out. Had I not JUST realized yesterday, you would have been the one to break me out of my haze. It is appreciated.

Guest Dysturbedfan   
Guest Dysturbedfan

Interesting story, I like the part where you went into detail about the peacekeeper, keep up the good work :)

Dégolas    0

De nada man =) aha for the rp part we can imagine that your caracter have a polaroïd camera, so he can take pictures and have them developped instantently !

Sign in to follow this