Server time: 2017-10-23, 11:30
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Ghurab

Area defense protocol

Question

Ghurab    0

So my character has taken an interest in maintaining the safety of green mountain. Today, while resting there, a bandit fired a shot. He missed, but shortly after I spotted someone sneaking around the bushes aiming a weapon at the compound. I'm 99% sure he was the shooter. I watched him until he left, but didn't fire because I wasn't positive.

But what if I had? I had video of the whole event, and a very clear view of several minutes of suspicious movement. If I had taken the shot, would this community consider that against the rules? Would I have to wait until I actually watched the guy fire before it's okay to use force?

I'd have loved to initiate on him but it would have been suicide to approach him. He was, after all, firing without rp.

I just want to know how this community handles that kind of defense.

10 answers to this question

Brad    158

So my character has taken an interest in maintaining the safety of green mountain. Today, while resting there, a bandit fired a shot. He missed, but shortly after I spotted someone sneaking around the bushes aiming a weapon at the compound. I'm 99% sure he was the shooter. I watched him until he left, but didn't fire because I wasn't positive.

But what if I had? I had video of the whole event, and a very clear view of several minutes of suspicious movement. If I had taken the shot, would this community consider that against the rules? Would I have to wait until I actually watched the guy fire before it's okay to use force?

I'd have loved to initiate on him but it would have been suicide to approach him. He was, after all, firing without rp.

I just want to know how this community handles that kind of defense.

Yeah man, you said it yourself. 99% is unacceptable. 100% is.

You would want to identify him at all costs to avoid any sort of trouble later. Obviously he was not extremely hostile or he would have tried it again.

Him firing a shot is poor roleplay though, and if you had caught him doing it, you would have had rights to take him out. Warning shots are considered hostile, and especially without any sort of initiation, it's just a little lame in my books.

At the end of the day Roleplay over Ruleplay. Just because you can shoot someone doesn't mean you should.

(depending on where the shot hit, maybe he even misclicked...seeing as it's green mountain I doubt it, but you never know)

Also, very well played on your part, I must add.

Cranium Tip    0

For what it's worth, I've only been to Green Mountain twice in my short time here. Once with a fairly large group so I felt safe, and once today with one other person I had pretty much just met. But we had passed guys that just left there so we had an idea that the coast was currently clear, and trading was going on. So that was cool.

However, if I was ever to go up there alone, I would try and thoroughly scope the area out before exposing myself. Therefor I would be sneaking around the bushes and aiming down my LRS (which are my binoculars), to get a visual. I would have no intention of shooting anyone from afar or robbing anyone coming or going. That just isn't my current character's style. So I would hope I wouldn't be KOS'd if I were in that situation.

Just giving you one possible POV of the person sneaking around the bushes.

Chris    63

You cannot fire on someone without the facts. Even if you see a firefight between two groups, you cannot engage without valid KOS rights: either being a part of the groups involved and within 500 meters, or by being initiated on yourself.

If you want to play the "good guy" as opposed to the "bandit", you will need to try and find a way to initiate hostilities properly. Or better yet, team up with a few like minded individuals, spread out around the mountain, and share info/coordinate maneuvers over teamspeak.

Ghurab    0

I had considered that Cranium, and again, it's what stayed my hand.

But the guy did this for several minutes, left, came back and did it again for several minutes, and then left. I definitely didn't want to shoot someone just being cautious. But on the other hand, if it was the guy (and it most probably was) then I would have been able to check pulse on a corpse and identify a blatant rules breaker.

It's a very blurry line, but I want to make something clear...

It was "rulesplay" that stopped me from shooting. From a roleplaying standpoint it was pretty clear he was the guy and from an in character stand point I had a lot of good reason to open fire. I'm glad I didn't, because I don't want to walk any sketchy lines... but I let a rules breaker go.

I'm rendering the video clip now. I might upload in this thread. I might even make a report. I don't know yet. No one got a name, though I think I did get the player list. It's not a lot of evidence to go on.

Chris    63

The thing is, how do you know he was breaking any rules? He could have shot a zombie, been hunting, or mis-clicked. He could have been shooting at someone he had legitimate KOS rights on.

Lil_Beefy    0

You need KoS rights before you even think about opening fire on someone. Unless they had begun shooting at you directly, then you of course can protect yourself.

From what it sounds like, the guy was just shooting outside for attention or to bait people outside and into a trap.

Good on you for not firing at him, it would have ended in a KoS report.

With that said, do you feel your question has been answered?

How do you know the person was a bandit? For all we know he thought you are a bandit.

Ghurab    0

Ease up, I didn't fire and thus I've shown exemplary restraint and a cool head in a hostile situation. After looking the video over, not only did the guy fire but he hit an innocent in the arm. I didn't notice at the time, but the innocent says it in text.

Give the video a watch to see what I mean about being 99% sure. Yeah, staff, you can consider this question answered.

Brad    158

Ease up, I didn't fire and thus I've shown exemplary restraint and a cool head in a hostile situation. After looking the video over, not only did the guy fire but he hit an innocent in the arm. I didn't notice at the time, but the innocent says it in text.

Give the video a watch to see what I mean about being 99% sure. Yeah, staff, you can consider this question answered.

From that prone position you were pretty safe, I would have tried communicating with the guy. Simply stating "what are you doing down there?" you had back up below in case he tried to pull something.

Tough to clearly say from the video it was him, it is possible with the popularity of Green Mountain he heard the shot and came looking for answers.

Anyways, good on you for not shooting.

Cid    333

Since you feel like you got your question answered, I'll be marking this as solved. 99% positive is a lot, but 100% is certain. If you feel, even if the slightest, that you may be in the wrong just don't do it. Go and re-initiate and if you get shot at again retaliate.

/solving