Server time: 2017-10-21, 12:17
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
TL140

Make a rule that the teamspeak key to talk is the same as in game

Should you have your TS talk key mapped to your in-game chat key?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have your TS talk key mapped to your in-game chat key?

• Yes
    • No

TL140    0

To reduce metagaming, I feel that there should be a rule where the TS key must be the same as in game chat. If you are in game and running beside someone, you would not just outright say "Yea, once you get here, lets rob this guy". I see way too much of this.

If you feel you need to go OOC, then you really should at the very least be alt-tabbed out of the game. That is just my 2 cents.

Owen    14

The issue with this is external factors such as parents yelling, back ground noises and other various things. Furthermore people use ts as a means of ooc talking when playing ingame. They shouldn't be forced solely to speak ic all the time.

Also dayz alt tabbing is unstable and can cause the game to crash.

TL140    0

The issue with this is external factors such as parents yelling, back ground noises and other various things. Furthermore people use ts as a means of ooc talking when playing ingame. They shouldn't be forced solely to speak ic all the time.

Parents yelling? Don't press the key in button. That simple. But the thing is, the OOC quickly turns into metagaming and it has been at an alarming rate. So why not? Ususally on the reporters end (if something does go wrong) It is insanely difficult to prove metagaming through TS. In the rules it says that it is an in game radio, not a transceiver to an alternate dimension where people should talk OOC.

Owen    14

Parents yelling? Don't press the key in button. That simple. But the thing is, the OOC quickly turns into metagaming and it has been at an alarming rate. So why not?

But hasn't this been like this when the mod was around. If this was the case why wasn't it introduced in the mod then?

TL140    0

Parents yelling? Don't press the key in button. That simple. But the thing is, the OOC quickly turns into metagaming and it has been at an alarming rate. So why not?

But hasn't this been like this when the mod was around. If this was the case why wasn't it introduced in the mod then?

There was a heavy discussion about making ACRE implimented in the mod. That would have been almost the same thing. The majority of what i remember was all for it

Taurz    1

Okey how would you force people to do this?

How would you prove that they are not doing it?

How will you prevent people from using another chat programs like skype?

People who text RP, how would it be for them? they might use teamspeak in the background to talk to there friends.

So many ways to avoid this rule i don't see the point of putting it in.

Owen    14

I don't think people want to always remain ic and ts has always and will remain an ooc tool. The way how I speak ig and in ts varies. I rather keep it that way.

Mikachu    26

And how do you expect staff to police this?

There is no way to prove without video evidence and why would someone breaking the rule provide evidence of it?

TL140    0

Was just a suggestion. I figured it would help but guess not. just delete this thread then

Hofer    20

Ideally this would be a good solution. Is it possible to enforce? Unfortunately not.

Skhmt    0

Was just a suggestion. I figured it would help but guess not. just delete this thread then

No, don't delete it. Discussion is good!

I feel like I may have spurred this on by my other thread, but I voted "no" here.

I know I'm new here, but I've been around a lot of communities like this and I also had the pleasure to meet a few long-time members the other day. Tight communities like DayZRP foster many OOC friendships as well as IC friendships, whether they develop because of IC interaction or through the forum or even because you brought friends here from the real world.

While this particular form of meta-gaming is a personal pet peeve, having already encountered it directly twice and indirectly a handful of times in my week or so here, I don't think binding the keys together is the right fix... if there even is a possible fix.

Basically, those who follow rules will do it, but they're really not the problem anyway. Those who bend rules and would rather have an in-game advantage than RP well won't follow the rules and the rule of binding the keys together literally (I use the word literally literally) can't be enforced. It would also cause weird echos if you're on TS and nearby enough for direct chat.

Terra    1449

No. I am not going to close this.

I can understand your reason for this suggestion. I do think that there is no way to do it for reasons which were posted above. But the actuall discussion about how to maybe change something is good.

Guest Damon   
Guest Damon

From where I come from, LS:RP (A GTA SA:MP roleplay server), it counted as metagaming if you used any external communications for your benefit. I have to admit it's rather weird to see a guy just standing in front of you, telepathically speaking to his friends. I think you can use teamspeak, but keep it OOC - if you don't have a radio in-game, you don't have a radio in-game, simple as that.

Vandy    34

Oh well, it's easy to by pass this via numerous ways:

put TS3 on voice activation. Allot of people already do, so you can hear the rp of them in ts as well, but you can't hear their ooc in the game and they don't need to push a button to talk in ts.

another way is just using a different ts server, or a differnt program such as mumble, ventrillo or skype...

Unfortunately, there is no way to enforce this. I wish there was because it kills the RP, in my mind. Players need to police themselves. However, not everyone has integrity. The only thing you can do is create a rule, and enforce it if a report arises. I have been known to call out people, via TS, when I hear them do this.

Buddy    1067

oh goodness no! >.< i absolutely love the push to talk. those keys should definitely be kept different though; im sure you can imagine just how annoying it is when youre in teamspeak with a large group.. some of which may not even be in the same place in game as you. and then they start talking to someone they meet in game thats nowhere near you and youre basically forced to listen to all of that while youre trying to concentrate on your own surroundings and conversations. its just my opinion... but ive experienced that far too often and its quite annoying xD

Teas    1

I have had my problems with separating ooc/ic on teamspeak. This would only add to my strife so thumbs down from me.

I can see why this would make it more realistic as when talking into a radio whilst someone is physically with you would be heard yes, but it doesn't work the other way around.

I have two issues with this.

1. While uncommon, there are radios that have existed for decades that allow you to talk below a whisper and have your words transmitted clearly. They're called subvocal radios. They are, however, rare an expensive.

Subvocals aside, you can still communicate very quietly on a radio.

2. The bigger issue, I feel, is that DayZ has no "whisper" option. If someone is 20 meters away, I still can't whisper to someone right next to me in-game without them hearing it, not even using text. TS is the only way I could whisper to them in-character without the person 20 meters away (possibly even behind a wall) hearing me.

Glenn    10

if it would work like ACER in Arma 2 then i would vote yes.

Would be nice to have an non mutable mic so you can actually whisper.

also having a radio is needed to communicate with each other.

Personally, I'd like to see a secondary VoIP option that's limited to very short range, like 5m. Not sure how feasible that is, though.

Toska    0

Personally, I'd like to see a secondary VoIP option that's limited to very short range, like 5m. Not sure how feasible that is, though.

This should be pretty easy to do when modding is possible. It's an ArmA sort-of engine and we have channels with different voice ranges in both ArmA 2 and 3.

Yeah, would like to see something like this added. It would make ingame radio comms actually interesting as nobody in a 50 meter radius can't listen to you anymore.

Brabbzy    0

In some ways I agree. If you get held up and they forget to take your radio, or you're planning to turn on someone and hold them up, you can just calmly sit there telling your team exactly where you are and whats happening without any nearby parties knowing. It would add a lot to the RP and intensity of a situation too, like if someone initiated on you and you had just a split second to shout your location down the radio before they forced you to drop it. Or having to stay off coms so as not to arouse suspicion, and trust your team to be in position when you finally whip out your radio and shout "NOW!".

That said, a lot of the best group RP is being discussed and planned on the fly and OOC on TS, so straight up making TS audible in game would ruin a lot of those kinds of interactions. If you could hear all "so what shall we make him do, heheheh?"s or "so wait, am I allowed to kill her now?"s, it'd go from interesting and intense to awkward and sloppy.

Just be fair with your use of TS and transmit the stuff in game that would logically be audible in game, then this kind of rule is unnecessary and we can all go on having lots of fun... Except, don't have fun. No fun allowed.

TL140    0

In some ways I agree. If you get held up and they forget to take your radio, or you're planning to turn on someone and hold them up, you can just calmly sit there telling your team exactly where you are and whats happening without any nearby parties knowing. It would add a lot to the RP and intensity of a situation too, like if someone initiated on you and you had just a split second to shout your location down the radio before they forced you to drop it. Or having to stay off coms so as not to arouse suspicion, and trust your team to be in position when you finally whip out your radio and shout "NOW!".

That said, a lot of the best group RP is being discussed and planned on the fly and OOC on TS, so straight up making TS audible in game would ruin a lot of those kinds of interactions. If you could hear all "so what shall we make him do, heheheh?"s or "so wait, am I allowed to kill her now?"s, it'd go from interesting and intense to awkward and sloppy.

Just be fair with your use of TS and transmit the stuff in game that would logically be audible in game, then this kind of rule is unnecessary and we can all go on having lots of fun... Except, don't have fun. No fun allowed.

Well, If I seen this actually happen, I may not be so biased about it, however I have not seen this happen. Every time that i have been in TS (except with my current group) All I have heard in TS is OOC discussion that is rarely about the game. I was with a certian group (not gonna list names here), but they were in game and on TS, they were talking about football.. That broke my immersion completely. Also, a lot of talk is about game mechanics and patches coming up and "Oh this is a cool feature" or "I wish they could add this".

Another thing to add is that also, groups are very quiet in game if on TS. They only talk in game when meeting up with someone else. I feel that this hinders character development within a group, since you wont be conversing that much IC and therefore only know the bare minimium about another persons character.

Ark    231

Things like this have been suggested many times before and at the end of the day its almost impossible to enforce something like this.

DesertWog    0

I love the idea. The other day, I was actually talking to my friends IRL about the idea of only being able to talk in direct chat to communicate with other players. Talking to other players outside of the game puts any player being stalked/robbed/not on TS at a huge disadvantage.

I am yet to be part of a group and I usually don't play on TS, so I can tell you that when you're talking to someone in game, and you can hear his buddies on TS through the dude's mic saying that they're on their way, or he only answers you once in a while, because he's talking to his group out of game, it's a scary feeling. I thought I was alone with this guy, but he has four friends across the map, making their way towards us, but more importantly, my character is now in more danger than he was in before. It turns my situation from a one-on-one encounter, to a five-on-one disadvantage, instantly. For the most part, like others have already said, most conversations out of game are OOC anyway, which, in my opinion, is fine, considering that's what everyone does on any game they play. It does, however, ruin some of the RP experience many people are looking for when playing on a RP server.

I agree that TS is very, very useful in terms of meeting up and strategizing with your group/friends (I'm talking in general, not specifically in DayZRP), however, it does take away the RP experience for those not in TS. After all, isn't that what DayZ RP is supposed to be about? Intense player interaction? Not knowing what the other player is going to do, but also not having to worry about him telling his buddies on TS in the town ahead that he's coming into town with a guy he just met. Or maybe you're acting a little cautious, since you see he has his gun out, so back up and pull yours out too to make yourself feel safer before walking up to him and talking, meanwhile his sniper posted up on the hill sees you and notifies him that you have a gun and you're making your way towards him. It would be pretty damn cool if it was a walkie-talkie, but in this case, it's not.

I like DayZ because it feels very realistic for a survival game(robbing, bandits, survivors, scavengers, murders, etc) and I like the idea of implementing a rule like the one suggested in order to remove some of the un-realistic-ness. The only problem would be in enforcing a rule like this; it's close to impossible.

I'm not expecting a rule like this to be implemented any time soon, if ever, but I just thought I'd give my two cents anyway.