Server time: 2017-08-20, 11:54

Sign in to follow this  
Skhmt

Is IC radio use without direct chat metagaming?

Skhmt    0

Somewhat hypothetical scenario:

Assume that the character is a member of an official group and has an IC radio that validates IC TS use.

If person B (for bandit) holds up person A and is standing close to person A but fails to take person A's radio, can player A use TS IC without also talking on direct chat?

The situation doesn't even require a bandit and holding someone up... In general, can you use an IC radio in close proximity to other players and not make any indication (text actions, also talking on direct chat, etc) that you are doing so?

For an actual situation that happened to me:

A week or two back, someone infiltrated an impromptu group I was with. The members of that spy's true group showed up moments later and claimed they were in radio contact the whole time, yet as I had suspected his true allegiance, I was in extremely close proximity to him the entire time and obviously didn't hear a thing. Was that metagaming or badrp or allowable? I don't remember names - I do remember the group but I don't wish any ill upon them.

I'm assuming that TS is in fact approved for IC use and I heard that the approval is only allowed for official groups. I'd like clarification on those two points too if possible. And also is it true that you don't need an in-game radio item to do so, just an "IC" radio.

Yokai    0

I made a report on someone that did this. It was ruled within the rules. I have a video of it if you'd like to see xD

Skhmt    0

I made a report on someone that did this. It was ruled within the rules. I have a video of it if you'd like to see xD

Sure, post it!

Yokai    0

Sure, post it!

Here's the report actually just so you have the full story and whatnot. I called this "ability" telepathy haha

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-kos-telepathy

Feel free to skip through the KOS rule question

Skhmt    0

The idea that you need a hand to use a radio is a good point - sure some people have earpiece radios, but all radios are push-to-talk, not constant-on like a cellphone. If your hands are up or you're handcuffed, is there a rule that you can't use a radio IC? If not, shouldn't there be?

Yokai    0

The idea that you need a hand to use a radio is a good point - sure some people have earpiece radios, but all radios are push-to-talk, not constant-on like a cellphone. If your hands are up or you're handcuffed, is there a rule that you can't use a radio IC? If not, shouldn't there be?

Currently you have to type "pats down and finds/breaks radio"

My problem with that is.. the other person could just say "Oh.. i told them everything before you broke it"

Skhmt    0

My problem with that is.. the other person could just say "Oh.. i told them everything before you broke it"

I mean regardless of actually taking their radio from them, if their hands are up or they're handcuffed, they still shouldn't be able to use it right?

Yokai    0

I mean regardless of actually taking their radio from them, if their hands are up or they're handcuffed, they still shouldn't be able to use it right?

It's within the rules. Does it make sense? No. Do I agree? No. But it's within the rules.

Yokai, this has been a topic for debate in the community that has raged for God knows how long. We've had votes regarding the issue of this topic and debating if we should of implemented a radio system like ACRE into the mod when it was running at the time. I supported it as it seemed more realistic and less meta-gamey (and I had gotten over with all the communication in TS only and no IC/IG chat as well as the "I'll take him up the hill and you ambush him next to the building" scenarios when your acting friendly to a wandering survivor) but many of the groups and individuals did not vote for this idea as they said they it would impede on their OOC/OOG talk in their group teamspeak channels whilst playing DayZ. I know... it sounds like an absolute cop out if you ask me but it is what is and we stuck with the same system as we always have. I suppose the down vote wasn't the worst thing that could of happen back in mod times, as meta-gaming was never such a huge issue at the time ... but now... the floodgates have been let open to the DayZRP SA servers and metagaming and KOS reports are over 9000.

Yokai    0

Yokai, this has been a topic for debate ever since this community started. We had votes regarding the issue of this topic for months, debating if we should of implemented a radio system like ACRE into the mod. I supported it, but many of the groups and individuals did not as they said they would sometimes talk OOC/OOG amongst in their group teamspeak channel whilst playing DayZ. I know... it sounds like an absolute cop out if you ask me but it is what is.

Thanks but I didn't start this thread, just explaining it to this guy. It's definitely a cop out haha

Skhmt    0

Yokai, this has been a topic for debate ever since this community started. We had votes regarding the issue of this topic for months, debating if we should of implemented a radio system like ACRE into the mod. I supported it as it seemed more realistic and less meta-gamey (and I had gotten over with all the communication in TS only and no IC chat as well as the "I'll take him up the hill and you ambush him next to the building" scenarios) but many of the groups and individuals did not as they said they would sometimes talk OOC/OOG amongst in their group teamspeak channel whilst playing DayZ. I know... it sounds like an absolute cop out if you ask me but it is what is and we stuck with the same system we always have.

Maybe it should be a topic that's revisited? I mean metagaming is taken extremely seriously here... but this is expressly permitted?

Pirate    2

Its True it would be realistic and possibly getting most of the metagame away but as Furlean said There is SOME groups and Channels where they just want to go OOC instead of sticking to IC it could be they wanted to talk about their day or something or just rant for a minute or more And if it Combat-Metagame as i like to call it (Planning ambushes and stuff or robberys) you have a choice in game to Not follow the person There is always a Consequence of the choices you make in the game

This is just my opnion

Skhmt    0

I think it might help a little, but the separation from IC and OOC within TS isn't the root of the problem.

Tamaster92    14

From the rules which everyone has to read to join.

Examples of metagaming:

Using or giving any information about your killer or location of your body after you are dead, surrendering, handcuffed or have had your "radio" remove through emotes.

Using information posted on the forums, acquired in TeamSpeak or any other similar way to your advantage.

Is is against the rules to use your radio (TS) to provide information whilst surrendered or handcuffed.

Skhmt    0

Examples of metagaming:

Using or giving any information about your killer or location of your body after you are dead, surrendering, handcuffed or have had your "radio" remove through emotes.

Using information posted on the forums, acquired in TeamSpeak or any other similar way to your advantage.

Is is against the rules to use your radio (TS) to provide information whilst surrendered or handcuffed.

But what about while someone is right next to you but you are not surrendered/handcuffed such that if you were to talk into a radio, someone would obviously hear you?

A common situation might be if someone has initiated but you haven't quite surrendered yet. Or like I mentioned in the first post, if you're travelling in very close proximity with a group of people and talking IC to another group of people, shouldn't they be able to hear you?

Tamaster92    14

Examples of metagaming:

But what about while someone is right next to you but you are not surrendered/handcuffed such that if you were to talk into a radio, someone would obviously hear you?

A common situation might be if someone has initiated but you haven't quite surrendered yet. Or like I mentioned in the first post, if you're travelling in very close proximity with a group of people and talking IC to another group of people, shouldn't they be able to hear you?

Should they? yes. But we have limited mechanics to use so it is not enforced and likely never will be.

Hopefully in the future we can try to encourage using radios IG though :)

Skhmt    0

Should they? yes. But we have limited mechanics to use so it is not enforced and likely never will be.

Would it be considered bad RP or meta-gaming?

Tamaster92    14

Would it be considered bad RP or meta-gaming?

Possibly but likely not in a report. Everyone talks in TS both IC and OOC but as long as you don't use it in a situation like I said before you are fine

Skhmt    0

Just curious, what's the problem with the in-game Walkie Talkies besides them being sort-of rare? And I guess also the limited freqs that you can use?

Unknown Entity    126

Just curious, what's the problem with the in-game Walkie Talkies besides them being sort-of rare? And I guess also the limited freqs that you can use?

They aren't really rare, the problem for now is the range. It goes up to max 700 meters I believe (maybe less now).

And either ways, the current state of the frequencies and stuff would not be good IG, not enough channels to use. Although for a more strict RP group it could be very interesting.

Skhmt    0

They aren't really rare, the problem for now is the range. It goes up to max 700 meters I believe (maybe less now).

And either ways, the current state of the frequencies and stuff would not be good IG, not enough channels to use. Although for a more strict RP group it could be very interesting.

Having a range for radios is realistic in that they're based on line-of-sight and are only run off of 9V batteries in the game, but 700m is a bit short. A bit as in, you should be able to use it from one side of the map to the other as long as there aren't any mountains in the way... and forests would reduce range too.

Tamaster92    14

As UsX correctly points out, the issue is they only reach 800M max so you cannot talk very long range at all

If the IG radios reached a further distance such as 10k, even though it may not seem realistic, people would actually use the radios.

Skhmt    0

If the IG radios reached a further distance such as 10k, even though it may not seem realistic, people would actually use the radios.

Hand held radios can reach 12 miles or so, given a completely flat 12 miles or if you're on a hill. 10k if it took line of sight into account would be perfectly within reality, or maybe 5k and not take line of sight into account considering how hilly/mountainous Chernarus is.