Server time: 2017-08-17, 17:16

Sign in to follow this  

Raising the age requirement

Due to the amount of bad rp /kos and inappropriate rp, is it possible into looking at raising the age requirement to 18? I know 2 years may not make much of a difference, however I run into a lot of RPers now who don't even sound 16.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Won't really help much, just more lying on the whitelists and stuff.

Plus a good portion of people who play today, and join, are just in between 16-18... but im always open for discussion.

I am 100% in favor of raising it to 18. However, as Vittoria said, people are just going to lie about their age. If the reports forum is any indication, a lot probably do already.

Grihm    16

18 sounds fine by me, and those that are whitelisted now but under that age are not affected, just to make it a bit more fair.

To be honest ages means absolutely nothing I know a 59 year old man who i work with who is immature as hell why would i look to his age to define his maturity?

On the other hand i also know some 15-16 year olds who are some of the most mature and well mannered people i know.

i dont think it matters what the age requirement is if people are immature they will eventually get caught for it anyway id rather not deny someone who is 16-17 just because of their age alone without even knowing them.

Won't really help much, just more lying on the whitelists and stuff.

Plus a good portion of people who play today, and join, are just in between 16-18... but im always open for discussion.

Yea, I understand that. Today though I was at GM with some of my group and we saw some people initiate on a guy because they thought he said something about the maker. Now the voices that came out of them didn't sound like they were 12 let alone 16. My friends and I took the man to safety but, I think a lot of these newer guys come from the streams and stuff and see these servers as a "Wow I can loot and get all this stuff without getting shot in the face" type server, or mistake it with altis life.

Don't get me wrong lots of great rp in the community, especially the inmates. I just think that if not raise the age limit then find a way to prove you are the age you claim to be, for example school ID.

Conor    243

Due to the amount of bad rp /kos and inappropriate rp

What makes you think all of this is not being committed by people who are 16-17 years old because I guarantee you not all of it is.

Raising the age limit will not fix the bad RP and KOS.

Reporting bad RP fixes the bad RP and when we get logs, the KOS will die down significantly.

To be honest ages means absolutely nothing I know a 59 year old man who i work with who is immature as hell why would i look to his age to define his maturity?

On the other hand i also know some 15-16 year olds who are some of the most mature and well mannered people i know.

i dont think it matters what the age requirement is if people are immature they will eventually get caught for it anyway id rather not deny someone who is 16-17 just because of their age alone without even knowing them.

If you know a 59 year old who is as you say "immature as hell" I think maybe he may have a mental disorder?. I am not saying that there isn't mature 16 and 17 year olds, however maybe then look into requiring proof or a referral to join? I think it would be a lot better for staff and the community to weed out the liars and the people who are just here to abuse the server.

If it does well, RIP me.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

If it does well, RIP me.

If we revoked the whitelist of everyone under 18

that

that

would not bid well with anything

fangawester    0

This doesn't make much sense..

Raising the age limit will not only eliminate current loyal members of the community, but will cause more players to lie about their age. Raising up 2 years doesn't magically prevent a barrier from bad RP and liars, reporting these problems, harsher punishments, and/or more in-depth white-list application can help improve this if it is that much of a problem.

Like Valkerion said, age doesn't always mean increased maturity.

Edit: Response on Proof and Referral

Then it's becoming a somewhat invasion of personal space, you can't ask everyone for their school ID or any form of real life ID, just to play a DayZ server. If they lie about their age, they should be punish accordingly if they pose a problem.

DinoB    20

Like Valkerion said above, why should we deny a chance for someone to enjoy this community, because he is not 18? 2 years will not make a difference.

Yes, it is true, mostly younger members do BadRP because they are a bit more immature, but I have seen cases when full grown men go full retard.

I think 16 is a good age limit, if the person enjoys RP-ing, and is committed to it, why would we deny his chance to play.

If you know a 59 year old who is as you say "immature as hell" I think maybe he may have a mental disorder?. I am not saying that there isn't mature 16 and 17 year olds, however maybe then look into requiring proof or a referral to join? I think it would be a lot better for staff and the community to weed out the liars and the people who are just here to abuse the server.

why would he have to a mental disorder to be immature?

He just doesnt care he may be immature but hes also funny as hell and a great laugh because of his lack of obvious maturity you would expect from someone his age this is a guy at 59 who commonly uses phrases such as "get rekt scrub" when playing things like call of duty which is obviously something we dont promote here hence why i brought it up that just because hes 59 doesnt mean hes mature.

Species    234

Now my issue is, as said above, is this solves nothing. I myself am 17 and I have never been banned for BadRP/FailRP. It's more so just the maturity of most people on the internet, they think since there is a screen in-between them and everyone else they can act however they please.

Yes some older people can act immature as well, it's just a matter of who it is. I've met some 15-16 year old kids who can talk to adults better than some college students looking for jobs. Honestly leave it as it is because we are fine, staff work hard at getting rid of these immature players and so far so good.

All in all, no to the change.

Tomeran    3

Im fairly sure that if we raised the age limit to 18, it would apply for new whitelist applicants and not existing community members. Or at least I'd hope so. Otherwise it will surely never happen.

Personally im for it. Its true that age does not equals maturity and its true that a fair few will probably fall through the gaps and that its not going to -eliminate- KoS and bad rp situations due to that behaviour not being exclusive to this agegroup.

That is all true. But!

Age is still the best "general" indicator of maturity there is. its flawed, there are a metric -fuckton- of exceptions yet I'll argue it'll still apply in enough cases for it to be worth it. It -will- have some effect.

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I think its highly unlikely that there'll ever be such an age limit. A huge part of our community fits in that age category and I cant see the staff suddenly cutting away a large influx of new community members, since community growth is generally regarded as good for DayZRP's survival. Personally I think its big enough right now, but that's me! Perhaps if new apps become limited the age limit will be tempoarily icnreased as staff can afford to be picky in apps.

The one thing that seems fairly clear right now is that too many bad eggs seems to be slipping through the whitelist process, although im not sure that's much worse or better then we've had previously due to the community currently being humongous.(and im not gonna pretend to know if its easy or hard to process whitelist apps)

Due to the amount of bad rp /kos and inappropriate rp

What makes you think all of this is not being committed by people who are 16-17 years old because I guarantee you not all of it is.

Raising the age limit will not fix the bad RP and KOS.

Reporting bad RP fixes the bad RP and when we get logs, the KOS will die down significantly.

Couldnt have said it better myself ^^^^

Raising the age limit won't change a thing, newcomers will still lie about their age and put 18 instead of 16 as they do now. I'm certain at least a third of the currently whitelisted players are under the age requirement. Not much we can do about it without proof. I think a better way to deal with this would be to make proof of age required for everyone when whitelisting. Hell, I'd even require everyone active to go through a screening before being able to play, weed out the kids pretty fast. Can't prove you're 16? Too bad kid.

Guest Damon   
Guest Damon

Making it 18+ will isolate so many people from the community, you're segregating them off and eventually you'll have practically no one playing. What happens if KOS/Bad Rp continues happening - do we raise it to 21? It just won't work out well and will probably be a clusterfuck.

Raising the age limit won't change a thing, newcomers will still lie about their age and put 18 instead of 16 as they do now. I'm certain at least a third of the currently whitelisted players are under the age requirement. Not much we can do about it without proof. I think a better way to deal with this would be to make proof of age required for everyone when whitelisting. Hell, I'd even require everyone active to go through a screening before being able to play, weed out the kids pretty fast. Can't prove you're 16? Too bad kid.

You do realize people won't apply to the server if they have to prove their age by showing papers? People won't go, "Man, I love this server so much - I'm going to go through the trouble of an interview, showing my ID with a timestamp, sending that to an admin including my birth certificate with a timestamp!" - and what if they're all fake?

People are really pushing for extremist measures and it won't work out in the long run. Sixteen is a reasonable age and anything above that will cause issues. This isn't a small tight-knit ARMA3 Mil-sim unit, like 15th MEU which I think the age limit is 17+, this is a server that is part of the millions that play that caters to the hundreds. Cutting people out of the server or making it harder to join will just isolate people and lower your active playing base.

I was 17 when I joined, and I had plenty of good RP with people my age. That said, there were some immature people as well. I think the solution here is a more in depth whitelist and also maybe slightly pickier acceptance of applications until the kill logs are in..

You do realize people won't apply to the server if they have to prove their age by showing papers? People won't go, "Man, I love this server so much - I'm going to go through the trouble of an interview, showing my ID with a timestamp, sending that to an admin including my birth certificate with a timestamp!" - and what if they're all fake?

That's what's needed to prove your age if you are suspected of being underage anyways, if it was required at whitelisting, it would avoid trying to weed out the underage players bit by bit, and in the same process would avoid a lot of reports that are the result of players being underage and acting like kids. Seriously, how hard is it to take a picture with a proof of age, every kid has a smart phone these days.

Beast7Gamer    0

Personally I also think that the age of a person does not tell how mature they really are. If the whitelist age limit get raised to 18 then, well as people have already said ... people will lie about their age that is probably a fact. Also saying they need to prove their age is also a bit extreme, I mean think about no one really wants to show papers that tell people who they JUST to play on a server on a game.

Also this would all be seen by people they have never met and they also wouldn't know if its legitimate. So in my opinion raising the age requirement is a bad decision all together BUT we could adjust the application system to actually verify that the person is mature-like maybe getting on team speak and having to speak to an admin for proof

Skhmt    0

If age doesn't determine maturity, why is there even an age limit of 16 years?

Why does pretty much every country have age limits on things that require maturity (e.g. marriage, alcohol use, driving, etc)?

There are always exceptions to every rule. There are 14 yr olds who should have the rights of an 18 yr old. And there are 40 yr olds who are not mentally damaged nor challenged yet still should not be allowed to make important decisions on their own.

But the existence of exceptions should not prohibit the use of a generalized rule that covers most situations.

Regarding lying about age... Is the argument that because some people will lie and break the rules, we shouldn't have rules?

Guest UncleBeaver   
Guest UncleBeaver

It all comes down to this. It's not wether the age is high enough the application should be hardened. So we know that new players really know and embrace the rules. If a player is 16 and puts in a great app with a lot of hard work then we know he will be following the rules. There should be more questions on the app like what would you do in this type of RP situation or really make sure the player understandsno kos'ing means no kos'ing means no kos'ing.