Server time: 2017-10-19, 21:40
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Roach

[GUIDE] Setting up your Mic Properly!

Roach    1645

This is will be a short guide on how to use your microphone properly in-game. I have noticed a lot of people have trouble using their mics or are maybe not aware of the quality it brings to another player they speak with. This is RP afterall, so quality is somewhat important, specially for those that record you.

Here's a small guide on how to set yourself up properly so you can hear everyone and they can hear you. And also how to speak properly into your Mic!

STEP 1 (How to position your Mic)

D5hRgDO.jpg

Nobody likes to listen to a player that sounds like he/she's 10 feet away from the Mic. Simply make sure your mic is close to your mouth as much as possible. In any other game I'd say meh, but this is RP and in my opinion, it's rather annoying to have to say "Can you repeat that? The wind is loud".

If you don't have a headset, try and position your microphone closer to your face. 1 feet away will often still make you sound bad. It needs to be closer.

Laptop users, PLEASE avoid your built-in Mic. It has to be one of the worst sounding Mics out there hehe. Please go out and try to get/buy one. They are not all expensive as I've heard dollar store Mics sound really good for a cheap price.

STEP 2 (Setting the sound on your computer)

9e8PkaJ.jpg

This one may be tricky depending on your experience with computers. A lot of users have HEAVY background noise and sometimes even some echo. Absolutely annoying (no offence of course). It simply is and sometimes even irritating.

Almost all computers have a "Sound Manager" and it will have options as seen above (May not look like this mind you). If you don't have any, you may want to do some quick research on Google to see what fits better with your system (Optional). Most often it will be Realtek HD Audio/Sound Manager. If you don't have a sound manager ten please scroll down to WINDOWS SOUND SETUP.

3rd PARTY SOUND SETUP

Make sure you tweak it so that you have:

• Noise Suppression ON.
  • Acoustic Echo Cancellation ON.
  • Crank up the "Recording Volume" to the MAX!
  • If that is not enough, add some "dB" points until it is loud enough.
  • The "Playback" will not affect what others hear.
  • Click OK and proceed to STEP 3.

WINDOWS SOUND SETUP

If you're using only Windows sound then do the following:

• Right click the Windows Sound Icon in the Taskbar: wxtamkT.jpg.
  • Select: Recording Devices.
  • Right click on the Mic icon (usually has a Green Checkmark).
  • Select: Properties.
  • Select the "Levels" tab.
  • Crank the first one to the MAX!
  • If that is not enough, add some "dB" points until it is loud enough (Mic Boost).
  • Click Apply then click on the "Enhancements" tab.
  • Make sure all 4 options are Checked.
    - Immediate mode
    - DC Offset Cancellation
    - Noise Suppression
    - Acoustic Echo Cancellation
  • Click on Apply, Apply and then OK and proceed to step 3.
    KUJO47x.jpg
    TOPqrJW.jpg

STEP 3 (Setting the sound in the DAYZ game)
    The next step is more simple, yet often neglected by many users. It's the in-game Audio Configuration. Have you always had a hard time hearing others? Or other saying they can't really hear you? Well here's another way to improve your sound on both ends.
    Launch DAYZ and wait forever for it to load xD
    • Remove the annoying Alpher message (Click I understand).
    • Click on "Configure".
    • Crank up the VOIP option (This is the other player voices).
    • Now click on "Audio..." in this same Window.
    • Make sure your "Input Volume" is cranked all the way up (That's your voice).
    • Click on Close 2 times.
    • Proceed to STEP 4 (FINAL).

dwlWDcz.jpg

STEP 4 (Proper use of the Mic function in-game)

But what do I mean "Proper use" you ask? Well have you ever noticed how almost everyone cuts out at the very end of their sentences?

Example: Hello friend, do you need an...

Only to hear the end of this word later in his next sentence?

Example: ...ything? Oh I can help you with that strang...

This is due to players not pressing the Talk Key long enough in-game. It's very easy to correct but hard to get use to. Simply hold on your Talk Key for about 3 seconds after your sentence. That's it! Bye bye annoying cut outs.

Another solution is to DOUBLE TAP your Talk Key so it stays on "while you RP" until you double tap it again to turn it off. This way your mic will always be on avoiding any awkward cut-outs. This can be set in the Key bindings settings.

Please make sure your mic does not have a tremendous amount of background noise when you do this though, cause it will be highly annoying to everyone around.

Well that is it! I hope this Guide will help some folks with MIC issues :D

If I missed anything, please let me know and I will add to this Guide!

Vapor    0

This is a good guide. Good job man!

I always have my talk key on double tap. My microphone will pick up my voice when I speak and never cuts out, unless I am lagging, but other than that it is great.

Guest LittleSpice   
Guest LittleSpice

Great guide , making one myself hopefully it helps you if you have any problems

citycatred    0

Thank you! It definitely helped me out. I was getting messages about my mic issues >.< finally got it fixed.

Roach    1645

Thank you! It definitely helped me out. I was getting messages about my mic issues >.< finally got it fixed.

You are most welcome :D I am happy this served some good!!! Cheers :D

Roach    1645

John-Doe, is it possible to use a bluetooth phone headset for speech only, to try and eliminate background noise?

Hmmm, I wouldn't be sure since I never used that. But now that poked my curiosity hehe.

John-Doe, is it possible to use a bluetooth phone headset for speech only, to try and eliminate background noise?

Hmmm, I wouldn't be sure since I never used that. But now that poked my curiosity hehe.

I know it works well on the PS3 but I am unsure of the quality for a laptop. I am actually going to try and set that up today. Yesterday, I was called out for my background noise. I don't want it to happen again.

Roach    1645

I know it works well on the PS3 but I am unsure of the quality for a laptop. I am actually going to try and set that up today. Yesterday, I was called out for my background noise. I don't want it to happen again.

Let me know if it changes anything dude. It can be good for this Guide as well for those who have this type of equipment :)

Robodanjal    0

If you pair your bluetooth device with your laptop you should be able to then right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, select recording devices and then select the bluetooth device and set it as default. If it isn't working try disabling the other inputs.

If you need more help feel free to send me a PM.

Roach    1645

This is a good guide. Good job man!

I always have my talk key on double tap. My microphone will pick up my voice when I speak and never cuts out, unless I am lagging, but other than that it is great.

Thanks so much :D I appreciate the feedback.

I had mentioned in the guide that "Double Tap" is a good idea if no BG noise is detected and as you know it works wonders.

Thanks again :D

Naz    19

I followed the guide about four days ago or so, and it worked tremendously. Before, people would ask me to repeat myself constantly. Now, everything sounds fine; if anything, I may be a tad loud.

11/10

Guest charliesbrownz   
Guest charliesbrownz

Thank you for this! My mic had been giving me issues until following this.

Roach    1645

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied and enjoyed this thread and/or found it useful :)

Pender891    0

Always keep in mind that when you finished to talk, to keep the push to talk pressed a bit more, like 2 or 3 seconds so the game doesn't cut your last word to put it next time you talk.

PwnCaiks101    0

I tried it, but after changing my microphone in the audio manager it made me unhearable?

EDIT: Nvm fixed, it putting my playback volume all the way down fixed it.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Although I've never had any problems with others' mic I'm sure many have, so thanks for this guide :)