Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 10:44

Temporarily recording gameplay for reports?

• MVP

I see that a lot of people make videos when they think it could be useful for a possible future report. What program do you use, and how do you set it up so that the framerate doesn't drop like crazy? I can do with a few FPS lower when I record for a minute or so, but it always drops my FPS to something unplayable. Also, a 5 second video is already like 50MB.

I would like to set something up so that I can press F12 or something and record for a couple of minutes. I don't mind bad quality, as long as you can see what happens. But I don't want a huge file size and my FPS going below 10.

Guest Heinz

I'm currently using bandicam, I get maybe 1-10 FPS drop when I start recording, it records on 1080p and 2 min clip is around 330mb. It also has the option to bind key to start/recording.

Downside is that it has the watermark and max of 10 min clip, so you need to start recording again when the cap is reached.

• MVP

I'm currently using bandicam, I get maybe 1-10 FPS drop when I start recording, it records on 1080p and 2 min clip is around 330mb. It also has the option to bind key to start/recording.

Yup, Bandicam is good for a lot of games. DayZ included! I recommend!

I'm using myself Fraps but the filesizes are large. You could also consider getting a decent capturecard with built in encoder so the filesizes will be considerably small, it won't drop your FPS at all. But if you're going to record only few minutes of gameplay then I think Bandicam or such would be a good choice

• MVP

I would like to have a minimum loss in framerate. If this means lowering the quality, then I'm fine with it. File size is less important, but if that can be small too, all the better. I would capture on my SSD (that should improve the framerate, I heard), but I can always move it to my HDD afterwards.

As long as you can see what happens it's fine. Right now I almost never drop below 20 FPS, and I would like to keep it that way, even when recording, and even though the recording would only happen for one or two minutes.

Buy dxtory, youtube how to set it up. Make sure you have an external HDD to record files to. And make sure its quick. I lose about 5-7fps when i record. And i record pretty much all the time i play. I make videos after all xD

DXTOry is probaply the best one you can get with the amount of customization you can have. If you use default settings you are doing it wrong.

You can use custom codecs for both video and audio, record multiple audio sources on diferent streams, record on diferent resolution that you are playing with, record on diferent FPS than you are playing with, multithreaded, split the recording on diferent drives to record with faster fps. It even shows separetly the fps you are recording on and yourgames fps, and so on.

You have slow computer? No worries, turn down the settings, record on lower resolution, with bit lower fps than what you are playing with, and you wont even notice impact on your frame rates. What realy annoys me are the people who are like "I cant record at all since my computer is not good enough" Bullshit. Either you are using wrong program (fraps, very powerhungry, eats fps like children candies), or they tried Dxtory but never edited the settings right, used right codecs, tuned the settings, etc.

Trial is free and has no restrictions (afaik), with only the huge dxtory watermark added to your video (if you solely use for "proof videos" it is not problem) it has bit of a high price tag, but there is always the dark side....

If you are streamer then you can output the video from dxtory directly to what ever straming software you use (xplit etc).

Get it now and there will be no return for you. Only negative thing about dxtory is that it can only record games because of the way it works, so you can not use it to record desktop videos, it does work in both windowed and full screen modes. If you need to record desktop too (you tube tutorials etc) You can use other things, but use this for games, please, do your self a favor. It is the best thing to record games using software, want better, get dedicated capture card.

• MVP

Fraps, or you can do a stream, Twitch.TV allows you to stream and it saves about 2 weeks of videos, so you never have to worrie about data saves up or catching enough footage. This also allows you to set a delay so you can put time between what is really happing and what the view sees so in firefights people can't track you.

Its what Mavassur started, and its what i have started doing aswell.