Server time: 2017-10-17, 13:10
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Krullin

Soundcard Problems

Question

Krullin    0

So a few days ago I bought the Bahamut external soundcard because I just got some new headphones and wanted the best audio quality I could get, and it was the only decent sound card they sold in my region.

The audio is great, nice and clear, it's the microphone part that is having problems. When I listen to a recording device, or take a test skype call, there is this god awfull background noise. And it's not the static you'd normally get (though I was hoping an external soundcard would remove that anoyance).

Take a listen, headphones to hear it better: [video=youtube]

Edit: Added clearer audio file

I have tested it with 3 different mic's, the one on my Chronos headset, my swanky new modmic and a cheap one I got for like 2 bucks and they all have the same sound in the background. Which leads my to believe it's the sound card.

I also tried different headsets and even my stereo to see if it was a receiver problem, no change.

I have checked that I have the correct drivers, I have tried changing USB ports for the soundcard and looked online but haven't found a thing.

This sound does not happen when I plug the mic into my normal ports (motherboard).

I posted a thread on a tech savvy site here in Iceland a couple of days ago but no one has responded. I'd really like my mic back, so I decided to post for help here as well.

Hlep plz :C

Specs:

Windows 8.1 64x (don't judge)

MSI Z87-G43 motherboard

3.40GHz i7-4770

GTX 970

8gb corsair ram (2x4, not sure on specifics)

Can't remember the PSU

15 answers to this question

Krullin    0

I still haven't found a fix, I'll be using my default mic-in's for now.

I really would like some help with this since it sucks not being able to utilize the sound card to its fullest. If there is no fix I think I might just return it and buy something else, but I don't really want to do that.

Can sound cards possibly have coil whine? Not sure, but look into that as it may be the problem.

Krullin    0

Can sound cards possibly have coil whine? Not sure, but look into that as it may be the problem.

Hmm, not sure. I'll check it out though

Grihm    16

It sounds like there is some kind of static interference in the connection or cable. You know how it can buzz if you pull the connector out but you touch the socket with the pin? Try fiddling with the cable all the way from the connector pin to the headphones to check if there is any improvement and also try spinning the connected pin in the soundcard around in case there is some dust or anything in the way.

Also, check so you don´t have more than one device activated at one time. Perhaps the external is in conflict with your onboard soundcard.

Krullin    0

It sounds like there is some kind of static interference in the connection or cable. You know how it can buzz if you pull the connector out but you touch the socket with the pin? Try fiddling with the cable all the way from the connector pin to the headphones to check if there is any improvement and also try spinning the connected pin in the soundcard around in case there is some dust or anything in the way.

Also, check so you don´t have more than one device activated at one time. Perhaps the external is in conflict with your onboard soundcard.

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with any of the cables. If there is then I'm definitely returning this. I just fiddled with the usb cable from the soundcard, turned it into a bundle and even braided it since I know how to do that now, but nothing. The mic-in is perfectly clean and it doesn't seem damaged in anyway. Turned the different mic jacks from all three mics I have on hand around but doesn't make a difference.

I also repeated the process with my tiny earbud headphones for good measure, but nope.

I disabled all my active devices but my ext. soundcard inputs but it persisted none the less.

Also dun did all dat on my laptop in another room. Same. Leads me to believe it might be internal hardware problems.

I did notice just now that if the mic pics up sounds like me talking or typing the 'frequency' and I guess rapidness of the interference changes, my voice also sounds a bit roboty but not in the way we usually hear on ts when peoples internet lags.

If all else fails I'm blaming aliens.

And from what I can tell it isn't coil whine, if that's a thing soundcards can get. There is no sound at all when I put my ear to the device and I haven't found anything related to it online, but I haven't been able to open it up to check if anything is wrong inside the damned thing either so who knows.

Grihm    16

If you open and use your audio center or whatever it´s called for that soundcard, check at what sample frequency you are using. I use 48KHz now but can scale both up and down. If set wrong sound can be distorted.

Krullin    0

If you open and use your audio center or whatever it´s called for that soundcard, check at what sample frequency you are using. I use 48KHz now but can scale both up and down. If set wrong sound can be distorted.

Already tried it, no difference other than I sound like I'm in a rainstorm while on telephone quality. Tried everything inbetween highest and lowest Hz

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow to see if they have any idea. If anyone here has any suggestions I haven't tried now would be a good time

Grihm    16

Already tried it, no difference other than I sound like I'm in a rainstorm while on telephone quality. Tried everything inbetween highest and lowest Hz

I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow to see if they have any idea. If anyone here has any suggestions I haven't tried now would be a good time

I´l keep thinking. Good luck.

Mikachu    26

If possible try switching to a USB 3 port or vice versa

It sound like interference on the USB socket itself - my headset has the same issue, on USB 2 its messed up but USB 3 its clean as can be

Krullin    0

If possible try switching to a USB 3 port or vice versa

It sound like interference on the USB socket itself - my headset has the same issue, on USB 2 its messed up but USB 3 its clean as can be

I tried that again just now in three different 3.0 ports and it didn't do much other than dull it down a bit. But since it does that maybe it's not entirely a hardware problem... Thanks though

I'm taking it to the shop in 20 min to let them have a look at it, I'll post the results when I'm back.

It's also possible it could be incompatible with your motherboard depending on how old it is.

Krullin    0

It's also possible it could be incompatible with your motherboard depending on how old it is.

I also tested it on my laptop and it made no real difference and the guys down at the shop are doing something with it on their computers. Haven't heard back from them but they'll call eventually. Thank you though

Mikachu    26

I also tested it on my laptop and it made no real difference and the guys down at the shop are doing something with it on their computers. Haven't heard back from them but they'll call eventually.

Sounds good :)

I'll solve this for now but if you have more issues feel free to post and I'll unsolve it :D

/solved