Server time: 2017-08-21, 02:57

Sign in to follow this  
MatthewFC

Using and sharing knowledge in a RPed manner

Question

MatthewFC    9

Knowing quite a bit about the game for playing, watching and reading about it, I stumbled upon a couple of problems as I RPed on the server:

Can I point persons to the correct directions regarding loot? If, for example, I find a random person that is looking for an FNX as tells me "I'll be checking the military bases from Kamenka to NWAF to find it", I know that he won't find any because FNXs only spawn at helicrashes, but I'm at a loss on how to correct him or point him in the right direction on a correctly RPed manner. And, personally, going out of character for something like loot pointers seems a total no-go... How does my character know that though Firestations are for some random reason loaded of FNXs magazines, they won't have any guns? If someone asks me where to find any loot, can I correctly and in a RPed way point him towards the correct direction? I guess I can do it when looting for a general item, like when asked "where is likely to find food? and weapons?", but when someone asks me (or my character asks himself) where to find a specific item, should I know?

How should I proceed? Do I leave the person to go on and waste his time? Also, on the example of the FNX, and knowing that helicrashes are random events, how is my character supposed to know what those helicopters were loading?

On the issue of helicrashes: I, of course, wouldn't be able to point to or track myself places where helicrashes are likely to appear, and proceeding to perform an "helicopter run" on the server would be strictly forbidden (metagaming). So the only way to find a crashsite is to literally stumble into one? Or there are people that roleplay knowing the routes helicopter patrols were taking over Chernarus (total BS if you ask me)?

This can of course be extended on how (or if) my character posseses and handles any knowlege I already have. For example, I have of course a mental list of the actions my player can and cannot perform, because of unwillingness, lack of knowledge or other reasons, even when I know how to perform all or almost all of the actions available ingame. But I was left with the doubt about how does anyone correctly roleplay being knowledgeable about loot in the way so many of us are.

5 answers to this question

Volke    132

Hmm... interesting situation. Perhaps in an RP way explain how you won't find an ak mag inside the fire station as realistically, why would there be an AK mag. I suppose regarding helicopters your character may know that since they are coming from outside the quarantine of Chernarus, chances are they have rare and valuable supplies, perhaps to stop the infected. Besides, why else would a helicopter fly over Chernarus?

Don't just say, Don't bother no AKs spawn in a hospital, perhaps suggest that why would their be an AK inside a hospital? I'd believe you have never seen an AK in a hospital in game or irl lying on the floor, something similar to this pointing without going ooc would probably be the best solution.

Giving advice like last time I was at a fire stations I didn't see any FNX, and I travel a lot. You would probably only find those in rare locations that the military hasn't touched.

That's my thoughts on it

Matt    21

Like a lot of things ingame you just have to roleplay it out, you should never go out of character for nothing especially when it is you trying to tell a person something does not spawn there.

But to get around the whole stuff not spawning there thing just role with it either way you don't know that IC and if you do want to hint at it say something like "Oh I don't think you will find something like that I have not found (Insert item) in that location before" doing this the person should understand what you are telling him, but if he does not well then just go loot the place anyway its only a minute out of your time to loot one place anyway.

Tamaster92    14

Easy Peasy :D

"I've never found one at a place like that myself but I did see one at a helicopter I found. Was crashed mind you, smoke billowing out the top. Maybe try looking for it? I left the pistol there so..."

MatthewFC    9

I understand the "repetition" argument: if someone has repeatedly visited X building, he can with confidence declare "I have never found X item there", and that would be the best RPed way to authoritatively communicate this knowledge. This part of the question is, thus, considered answered.

The chopper crash question is a moot point, and pretty much self-asnwered: I cannot know specific chopper crashsite locations unless I have just stumbled upon one, and all actions concerning them should be derived upon these assumptions.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

"I've never found one at a place like that myself but I did see one at a helicopter I found. Was crashed mind you, smoke billowing out the top. Maybe try looking for it? I left the pistol there so..."

This reply almost wants me to start RPing that I was one of those chopper's pilots, and thus, I know what the cargo was :D

Matt    21

Nice seems you have everything answered feel free to ask more if you still need some more things answering.

/Solved